Skip to content

Ranged weapon balance

I just want to get a few things out of the way (I have a bad case of "someone is wrong on the internet"). I don't hate ranged weapons. I think archer is a good class. I just think there are some issues with ranged weapons that make them a bit less fun and useful than they should have been.

Melee weapons deal more damage. I don't think there's really any doubt about that. If you say 10 APR with Firetooth +5, I'll say 10 APR with Staff of the Ram +6. I guess that's the way it should be since ranged weapons are, well, ranged. Still, I used some of the top ranged weapons in my last playthrough and was very disappointed with the damage. You seemingly need to be an archer to really deal damage with ranged weapons, but you don't need to be a kensai to deal good damage with melee weapons. Piercing resistances don't help.

My biggest gripe is about ammo though. I did a very thorough playthrough of the game recently, and I found *no* +4 ammo at all. Is it in Neera's or Rasaad's ToB quests perhaps? Without that ammo, forget about the ranged weapons that don't produce their own ammo. They are not competetive when it really counts if they can't even hit.

I think it would have made ranged weapons so much more fun if the enchantment bonus came from the weapon rather than the ammo (I don't care how PnP did it). It's a simple change that really makes ranged weapons interesting without making them overpowered.
atcDave said:

Ideally I would want every game to be balanced rather than having one imbalance in BG2 making up for another in BG1.

This s the exact thing I disagree with. I like that balance is shifting and fluid. It adds to strategic planning to know that different types characters will be strongest at different points in their careers. Again, it goes to the whole party concept. At different times, in different fights,different characters will have to carry the load. I call that excellent game design.
Right, I want to comment on this one. I don't think we're talking about the same thing. It's not about strategic planning from one fight to the next, it's about things being over- or underpowered for a whole game. I don't think that ever counts as excellent game design. It also has nothing to do with the party concept at all if it's a whole game we're talking about. If you want to min-max, you leave the worst classes behind and bring the best. Good game design makes that decision very hard for you by making sure there are no clear-cut cases of one class being better than another.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Hm. Some things to consider:

- different ammo types (as opposed to one enchantment on the weapon) give you more flexibility
    - the trade is "doing less damage" for "taking less damage" (with good dex, the archer also has a lower chance to be hit than a frontliner who often gets surrounded - count in the various items that give AC vs missiles/reflect missiles; where frontliners more typically have to pick between damage type protection, but encounter all types)

I don't see such a big problem/imbalance with the way things currently are. I just wish BG2 would have more stores that sell ammo types other than +1/+2. The only costantly available special ammo are Bolts of Lightning. And I'm a bit frustrated at the moment to not find more Arrows of Biting for Eldoth (exported NPC, but his ability to create poisoned arrows doesn't work in BG2 - he's missing his trademark).
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2014
    I only partly agree. In my current SCS run Mazzy was the only character that consistenly did damage in the toughest battles, esp. Firkraag. Unless you use buffed fighter mages afainst the tough foes your melee force will spend half the time chugging healing potions just to stay alive while the ranged strikers shoot the hell out of the opposition. In battle healing in BG2 plain sucks abd the typical tank/healer appriach doesn't work as we all know.

This fits my playstyle since I generally use a lot of meatshields abd with that approch ranged rocks even if gimped.

Do I wish for the fabled +4 magic producing long bow and that enchanted arrows actually add their plusses to damage? Of course!

But a whirlwinded Keldorn or Dorn with bolts of biting or lightning is great and can do this longer than the same character bring clobbered in the frontline... :)

Now if you favour Kensages or something like that of course melee produces more consistent output over time and not just peak.

Ranged is a lifestyle! :)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Ranger cleric can tank so can most fighters with hlas.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited January 2014
    I don't know about SCS. I don't like to consider mods in a balancing discussion about the base game. In the vanilla game, I can certainly beat up dragons with melee. But yeah, I'd actually be fine with it if the game had more good ammo to use. That's really why I'm talking about the ammo, because then the tradeoff of safetype for damage would make perfect sense. I think it's a bit of a shame for example that I could get a high-level long bow and only ever found +3 ammo for it, and not that much of it.

As for kensages, no, I don't favor them. I'm really a bit tired of them :)

Hm. Some things to consider:

- different ammo types (as opposed to one enchantment on the weapon) give you more flexibility

Exactly what I mean. If they could all hit with a good enough bow, your flexibility would increase.

PS: Side question. How many enemies does Called Shot actually work against? It seems like Called Shot is actually incredibly useful with Improved Haste, but it's kind of hard to tell whether it works or not.

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I thought you meant "I want a Bow +3/Acid" that would always fire +3 Acid Arrows. My point was - your bow can kill trolls by changing ammo - your sword can't if it has no fire damage, and never will. Your bow can be a mage interrupting weapon with Arrows of Biting - your sword can't. And so on. I'm ok with the ranged weapons currently in the game, it's just the stores that suck a bit.
    In my case, I'm really tired of consoling 5 Arrows of Biting after rests to recreate Eldoth's ability and just want to go buy a stack or two. Yet they are nowhere to be found, and my inventory has 19 Arrows +1, 84 Arrows +2, 12 Arrows of Biting, 38 Arrows of Fire and so on, and it's annoying to have all those slots taken up and the inconvenience that archers don't switch to the next quiver slot if they run out of one ammo type. It's too much micromanagement to depend on ammo you find and makes the stores basically useless.
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    I like it the way it is. You should be forced to melee creatures that have those kinds of resistances. In fact if I had my druthers there'd be no Firetooth +5 either. Even though ranged weapons do less damage and can't hit some enemies, they're still useful on many occasions precisely because they are ranged. To me this seems exactly how it should be.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    DPS-Wise
    BG1 : clear advantage for ranged weapons, thanks to better thaco and very powerful special arrows. Also, strength is lower than 19 for most of the game which makes a huge difference

BG2 pre HLA : clear advantage for melee weapons. Dual wielding is grossly OP compared to the other styles. Good +3 melee weapons are very easy to get, while good magic arrows are very scarce. Also 19 strength is more common.

BG2 post HLA :
    GWW with firetooth/special bolt does comparable damage to GWW with staff of the ram. Both of them are anyway overkill and will kill almost any ennemy. The difference is that the remaining attacks after the kill will most likely be wasted with the staff of the ram (need to reposition).
    Furthermore, a archer wielding firetooth is probably the highest DPS in the game (topped maybe only by the pure kensai, which needs to be much more babysitted)
    However there is only 1 firetooth in the whole game while powerful +5 melee weapons are plenty.

Defense-wise :
    BG1 : clear advantage for ranged weapons again due to generally low HP of both the allies and ennemies (if they can't reach you, they can't hit you)

BG2 pre HLA :
    Non mage types are weak defensively. Therefore ranged weapons are still good. However any fighter/mage can tank pretty much forever.

BG2 pre HLA :
    with damage reduction from HLA, most fighter can tank effectively.

Conclusion : ranged weapons are much better in BG1. Hoewever, the more you get into BG2, the melee weapons get stronger. But ranged weapon never become useless.

Last note : One of the thing to consider is thats we often gives ranged weapons to squishy characters (like thief type) which obviously cannot compare DPS wise with fighter types. But it is not the weapon itself who is weak : it is the wielder.

edited January 2014
    @KidCarnival: Actually buffing the stores a bit would be one way to solve my problem with ranged weapons as well. I believe I've read something somewhere about a merchant in some of the new content selling +4 ammo. Sounds good if it's true, but I haven't found it yet.

@golingarf: We're going to have to disagree on one thing - I don't think it's good if ranged weapons are entirely unable to hit certain enemies when other weapons can hit all of them.
    mumumomo said:

GWW with firetooth/special bolt does comparable damage to GWW with staff of the ram. Both of them are anyway overkill and will kill almost any ennemy. The difference is that the remaining attacks after the kill will most likely be wasted with the staff of the ram (need to reposition).

No, Staff of the Ram does more damage. Remember that it has an absurd damage bonus of the best type of damage (and 1d4 piercing too for some reason) and you get to add your strength too. It's not true that the rest of your attacks are wasted, by the way. Most of the time there's another enemy nearby and you can easily spend your remaining attacks on them. I had no problems with this at all. In fact, with the Paws of the Cheetah, I didn't even have problems running between groups of enemies to kill them.
    Furthermore, a archer wielding firetooth is probably the highest DPS in the game (topped maybe only by the pure kensai, which needs to be much more babysitted)
    Not maybe. Definitely. But you're right, an archer wielding Firetooth does do a lot of damage. I don't dispute that at all.
    Conclusion : ranged weapons are much better in BG1. Hoewever, the more you get into BG2, the melee weapons get stronger. But ranged weapon never become useless.
    Agree 100%. I just think the ammo system unnecessarily punishes the weapon class that is weakest.

I still don't think it's any kind of major issue, by the way. I just have to shamefully admit that I like debating this. I have thought about the game's lack of balance for a while though. I didn't think about it so much when I played the series originally, but now, many years later, I guess I think more about balance. Maybe too much, it's an old game that wasn't really designed to be fair in any way.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Agreeing with @Skaffen above, being able to deal consistent damage without having to remain in the face of your opponent is an advantage in itself. Consider effects like stun-on-hit from certain undead, caster-centered aoe spells like sunfire, cloak of fear and globe of blades, fire shield combinations that SCS casters and balors are fond of using, the slow affects and poison clouds of golems, the wing buffets of dragons and so on.

In short, throughout all the BG games there are significant advantages to being able to keep your distance from enemies while still dealing damage. Many enemies can't hit you at all from far away, and many have greatly reduced opportunities to damage or disable you. That you as a trade-off to this sometimes deal less damage or less efficient damage as a ranged weapon user is in my opinion very fair.
    The damage penalty seemed pretty severe to me, but yeah they should deal less damage. It doesn't seem fair that you run out of ammo that can hit enemies though.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I really don't see any balance problem at all. Not to say things couldn't have been balanced a little differently; but decisions were made, they are what they are, and the challenge is always succeeding with what's available. It seems to me even in PNP games high plus missiles are usually uncommon. Obviously that's always a DM's option. But DM's option is exactly what it is; and the Bioware/Overhaul DM has decreed no +4 arrows...
    I think the whole fun of "the game" is making a character and party effective with what's available. I love the interplay of knowing different characters will be more effective in some situations than others. And I've never seen a situation where a single class archer character was suddenly rendered useless. Even if it turns out they can't fight the main boss in a particular battle, or they have to fight with a sub-optimal weapon, that's part of the fun.
    BTW, bows start with several huge significant advantages; two attacks per round, launcher and ammunition bonuses stacking, and attacking from outside melee range. I don't think its an unreasonable situation give them unexpected handicaps (like a scarcity of high plus ammo).
    And I think its very reasonable to say when you do find high plus ammo it should be expended only when very necessary. Resource management is an important skill!