Skip to content

New Member, Patch Notes Question

JBottcherJBottcher Member Posts: 5
edited January 2014 in New Members Welcome Area
Hey all, new member here! I have my copies of BG:EE and BG2:EE as well as the original games on disc format, which I purchased from Amazon a few days ago. I haven't played either yet as I am literally brand new to the entire Baldur's Gate franchise, but I imagine I will start with the Enhanced Edition instead of the original...

I do have a question though as I am quite curious about exactly how much work has been done on the Enhanced Edition...

Is there somewhere on this forum I can see all the patches that have been released since the Enhanced Edition was released?

I hope I will enjoy my stay here as a part of this community and plan on trying my best to make nice with y'all. =)

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Greetings traveller, be thee friend or foe?

Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure why you bought both the vanilla version and Enhanced Edition at the same time, as they are essentially the same game. I got both versions too, but in my case, BG 2 EE wasn't released yet and Vanilla was very cheap. Also... not sure why u are so keen to see patch notes? It's not something I usually think about before starting a brand new game. I'm sure a comprehensive list exists somewhere, but I'm not sure where, so sorry for being unhelpful on that specific point.

I am not entirely sure what you are asking. If u mean 'how much has the Enhanced Edition games been patched since they were released?' Then...

I joined first got into the BG games last June/July, and since I joined, there's only been one major patch for BG EE (v1.2), which fixed various bugs and improved the UI. Though truth be told, I had already completed BG EE with only one insignificant quest bug at the very beginning. BG 2 EE is obviously a lot newer, and apparently has quite a few bugs that need to be squashed. There has been no patches thus far, but it should be on the way, and if u start with BG EE now, I'd guess the patch should be released before u start BG 2 EE (depending on how fast u play of course).

If u dont wanna risk running into bugs in an un-patched BG 2 EE playthrough, u can always transfer a BG EE endgame save into the beginning of BG 2 Vanilla, and it works perfectly fine. I've just finished my first full saga playthrough in this way.

If u are asking 'how much work has been done by Beamdog/Overhaul Games on the Vanilla released originally by Bioware?'... Then the answer is a LOT.

Enhanced Edition isn't just 'patching' the Vanilla games. It is an entire re-work of the games to bring them up to date with modern computers and graphics (though not Skyrim graphics, different kinda game). The core plot and game mechanics are unchanged, but there is a much improved UI and significant amounts of additional content. It is essentially an enhanced version of the original games.
  • JBottcherJBottcher Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2014

I am not sure why you bought both the vanilla version and Enhanced Edition at the same time, as they are essentially the same game.

I purchased the vanilla games along with the EE's because I loved Planescape: Torment and the Infinity Engine. Plus I purchased the Icewind Dale series also, at the same time.

Also... not sure why u are so keen to see patch notes? It's not something I usually think about before starting a brand new game. I'm sure a comprehensive list exists somewhere, but I'm not sure where, so sorry for being unhelpful on that specific point.

Honestly, I really am just curious to see how much work has been done by Beamdog/Overhaul on the project. Responding to me is being more than helpful and I appreciate it =)

If u are asking 'how much work has been done by Beamdog/Overhaul Games on the Vanilla released originally by Bioware?'... Then the answer is a LOT.

Yeah, that's pretty much it! I just wanted to know... curiosity, pretty much.. =)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've played vanilla BG2 like @Heindrich1988 did, well, it was awesome, but sometims the game gets REALLY buggy and you need to know a lot to fix it.
    Now in the EE bugs are reported to be fixed in the next patch, and

Enhanced Edition isn't just 'patching' the Vanilla games. It is an entire re-work of the games to bring them up to date with modern computers and graphics (though not Skyrim graphics, different kinda game). The core plot and game mechanics are unchanged, but there is a much improved UI and significant amounts of additional content. It is essentially an enhanced version of the original games.

that is completely true.
    imageimage