Skip to content

This game holds up to the test of time

I have played console games and D&D since the 70's but never got into PC's.

I had a botched surgery and got put in the hospital, while visiting a friend in San Francisco, for 2 weeks. Baldur's Gate had recently come out and my friend brought me a laptop with BG loaded on it. It changed the way I gamed forever. It allowed me to keep my sanity while I was laid up in the hospital and brought back feelings from my days of D&D as a child. I never touch console games anymore.

I bought BGEE recently for $4.99 and I haven't stopped playing it since. It runs super smooth and the load times are way better than I remember them being in the late 90's to early 00's. I love the tactical aspect and the fact you need to know so much to succeed.

I can't wait to play BG2 again.

I do hope they do the same thing with the Icewind Dale series!

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    it really is a work of art. first DnD experience in my own experience, and it gave me interest, but I have no DnD friends so the best I have is a BG multiplayer game we are doing somewhat like PnP, roleplaying and bantering. I also recently converted from consoles when the next generation was coming. I realized the next generation was already here in the form of the PC, and the new consoles are last gen in comparison. will never touch the new consoles it looks like. i will enjoy my BG and my pc games :)
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    The original BG I have trouble playing again after the sequel (resolution, no kits), but I think even BGII is still playable. The updates both games have gotten with the EEs is indeed wonderful though. And we've seen quite frequently on this forum that you don't need Nostalgia Mode™ to appreciate them either, both games are getting brand new fans. That's not bad for games a decade and a half old!
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    I believe the personalities encountered along the Sword Coast and in Amn have a great deal to do with the appeal - though you may expect such desire for the heady company of such an enticing ilythiiri as myself! Beyond that, I can certainly remember my journeys with all those I encountered, the desperate and the daring alike. Hargluk, darthiir, rivvil - a sea of faces, of names burnt into memory wherever they traveled. The pitched battles, when for long moments all seemed lost and yet fortune won the day, the snatched conversation around a hushed campfire while shadows and chittering beasts seemed to lurk behind every tree... Though many might think it exaggeration of those burning days, the feel of some great and wild storm unfolding was palpable with every step you took. Impenetrable mystery gave way to wild, unfurling plots; baleful and mighty foes braced themselves for our challenge. Destiny awaited.