Skip to content

Human flesh armour (slight spoilers)

I love how it's now possible to use the human flesh leather armour found in Rejiek Hidesman's house before it is "completed". I always found making it wearable to be complete ass since you have to slay that silver dragon (which isn't a wise move imo) and also found it frustrating lugging around an unfinished product for so long. I keep coming across small yet neat things like this in the EEs and have an increased appreciation for Overhaul's work each time.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I thought you could always wear it. I distinctly remember wearing it back in the day before thinking 'what's the point of this armour, its shite, and ditching it somewhere since I didn;t know you could 'complete' it).
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Unless it changed in some patch or mod I never got, you couldn't wear it prior to finishing it, no. At least... at least the item description screen didn't tell you. Then again, the item description screen didn't tell you you could wield Aerie's "key" as a short sword in the circus either. Hmm. I recall it initially being unidentified and then you could "waste" an identify spell on it only to read it wasn't at all useful yet.
    Well, this was pre-ToB, and fairly short after the game released, so its possible that it was initially equipable and then changed with one of the later patches, similar to how Stalker and Archer dual-classing was removed with ToB.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    It definitely wasn't equippable when the game came out - I have the Prima BG2 guide and it mentions it's an unusable item.
    In all honesty I just assumed it was still unusable and never bothered to put it on, I did wonder why it came unidentified now!

I have to say the armour is a bit rubbish though considering the huge amount of effort it takes!

similar to how Stalker and Archer dual-classing was removed with ToB.

Ooh. That could've made for some unique character builds.
    Taear said:

I have to say the armour is a bit rubbish though considering the huge amount of effort it takes!

I think several of the "crafted" items suffers from that. Well, they're not rubbish for the most part, but just not worth the effort either. And then you have things like Crom Faeyr, which is awesomely waesome but which you get when you've allready had to butcher a million golems.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited January 2014
    The unfinished leather was always equippable for me before BG2:EE, any evil non-mage character could wear it, the description just didn't say so.

Weimer's upgrade mod:

Human Flesh +5
    Malla's Soulstone
    Scroll of Protection From Magic
    20,000 Gold
    //
    Improved Human Flesh
    AC 0, Protection From Good, +1 DEX, +1 CON,
    immunity to poison, +4 saving throws, 20% MR

(best leather in game sounds fair for that far in ToB storyline)
    EudaemoniumMoczo
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    Though there may be a grotesque pleasure to be found in the existence such a garment, why any would choose to surround themselves with the stink of such rivvin-made armour baffles me. While I'd certainly make use of any protection that could be found, and especially those that were effective, I'd little taste for wearing such skins that might provoke a confrontation. My own flesh made me an easily-spied target enough, and I'd little desire for adding to such woes.
    HeindrichjackjackMoczo
    What I don't really get is how people can actually tell the difference between it and any other leather armour. I guess, they can't, seeing as the only ones who know about it are you and your party, and it doesn't lower CHA like, say the Silver Dragon Armour.

Though there may be a grotesque pleasure to be found in the existence such a garment, why any would choose to surround themselves with the stink of such rivvin-made armour baffles me. While I'd certainly make use of any protection that could be found, and especially those that were effective, I'd little taste for wearing such skins that might provoke a confrontation. My own flesh made me an easily-spied target enough, and I'd little desire for adding to such woes.

Certainly there are a lot more desirable choices out there, but this armour is not without its merits. It's incredibly light which is a boon to weaker party members as it offers as much protection as enchanted splint mail or regular plate mail while weighing not a fraction of it. Quite a lot of protection for something made of such flimsy stuff:

The added magical protection isn't a bad deal either.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    it's all about MR. one of the most powerful items in the game as is.
    with good strategy, some characters should never get exposed to attacks, it's an item for those.
    @Silverstar You've a silver tongue indeed, as befits your name - and I certainly can't debate any particular point regarding the virtues of such a choice. I certainly appreciate lightweight clothing, especially with fit to flatter a lithe and graceful drow. Perhaps we might consider it as one of the despised rivvil repaying a debt through service, hm? After all, whoever such skin belonged to certainly would have no need of it returned, I'd wager.
    Silverstar
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I generally find this to be a required item for Viconia to carry in her bags for those situations where she is more at risk from spells than from the more physical brutes. With the Human skin and 1-2 other pieces of equipment, she is immune to magic which is really very useful. If only she had some reasonable means of killing planetars and pit fiends I would think that she would be my choice of character to go in and solo liches. With 100% magic resistance and a further 60% or more of fire resistance, not even HLA spells bother her much. She did get chunked by Draconis today though because I did not have any protection from Acid ready... Ended up having to try that fight 4-5x before I got him with no one being chunked...
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    @kryptix

Sorry to go off-topic... but can u quickly explain chunking/perma-death if possible, in PM if u'd prefer. I thought it was only physical damage that can causing 'massive damage permadeath'. But then Anomen got toasted by Abazigal, and I guess Minsc got melted by Draconis in a battle I got party-wiped on. What else can cause permadeath? Oh Jaheira died to a vorpal hit... I guess that goes on the list. I'd like to know cos I refuse to reload permadeaths, and would like to know who/what to be more careful around in the future. cheers.
    edited January 2014

@kryptix

Sorry to go off-topic... but can u quickly explain chunking/perma-death if possible, in PM if u'd prefer. I thought it was only physical damage that can causing 'massive damage permadeath'. But then Anomen got toasted by Abazigal, and I guess Minsc got melted by Draconis in a battle I got party-wiped on. What else can cause permadeath? Oh Jaheira died to a vorpal hit... I guess that goes on the list. I'd like to know cos I refuse to reload permadeaths, and would like to know who/what to be more careful around in the future. cheers.

I think its anything that would do physical damage to a body that does enough damage to reduce your health past -10 causes permadeath. Therefore, Horrid Wilting does not cause permadeath, but Dragon's Breath does. In one your body shrivels a bit but its still there and the other it can be in tiny unrecognizable chunks so you can't raise it?

Anyways that's the RP element of it but in the game, a small subset of damage cannot cause it but most damage can. If you play on insane like I do, it happens VERY often and I'd be soloing the game if I didn't reload permadeath. Basically, take Neera for example, she is at like level 35 or something for me but only has 60-70 hp? One backstab with no stoneskin or PfMW will chunk her because on insane they do like 100+ damage.

Draconis's Dragon breath hits for well over 100 on characters without protection from acid, so I was getting chunked left and right since I went into that right without resting after Sendai and without protection from acid scrolls (don't ask me why as it doesn't even make sense RP wise)...

Also, Vorpal hits for whatever reason seem to always cause perma death. I guess you can't raise a decapitated corpse? Doesn't seem to make total sense but I guess that's the theory...

End result, if you play on anything past core, permadeath is very easy to happen due to the giant hits you take. Standard melee hits are often in the 40 damage range so one GWW etc against my squishier characters = chunk if i don't react fast enough.

One Caveat, "Perma Death" is not actually FULLY permanent. If someone is chunked but you are already casting ressurection on them such as with a rod of ressurection, even if they get chunked they will still get rezzed and will then talk to CHARNAME as if they were rejoining the party. It will screw up your romances though. Also, if Hexxat gets hit by a Vorpal hit I think she's immune to permadeath and instead she just needs to be raised as a normal character rather than her normal 8 hour thing. Same if she dies to her brains getting sucked out.
    HeindrichEudaemonium
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    hexxat's permadeath immunity even causes a bug in the hell trial where you're supposed to lose an NPC if you go the evil path - her you can't lose even on core+ difficulty
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Says the lady with innate magical resistance - must be nice :P
    edited January 2014
    @jackjack I assure you, it is. Many a time I've found the most wracking curses simply slipping from my skin as easily as wiping away rainfall from my brow. Simply more evidence, as if any were needed, that I retain at least a little of the superior qualities of the Drow, hm? No need for despair, I'm sure - while I'm suited perfectly to many a task, even one with such advantage must yet be wary in the cities. A Beshaban mob, alas, wield pitchforks and fervour in place of enchantment and are all the more dangerous for it, to me.
    jackjack
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90

What I don't really get is how people can actually tell the difference between it and any other leather armour. I guess, they can't, seeing as the only ones who know about it are you and your party, and it doesn't lower CHA like, say the Silver Dragon Armour.

Wait, what Silver Dragon Armour? Does EE allow her to drop scales, because she didn't do it before!

Also I'm really surprised that having a gimmick account like Viconia isn't bannable on these forums, it's pretty annoying.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Not all of us find it annoying, but to each his or her own. Regardless, roleplaying certainly isn't a gimmick.
    abacusMoczoCrevsDaak
    Taear said:

Wait, what Silver Dragon Armour? Does EE allow her to drop scales, because she didn't do it before!

Also I'm really surprised that having a gimmick account like Viconia isn't bannable on these forums, it's pretty annoying.
    I think theres a new silver dragon in Dorn's new quest. I didn't try it this time because he was just too evil for my party. I'll try it on my Fighter/Assassin drow next run who is more pragmatic than evil (think Jason Bourne style) so she will probably be willing to put up with Dorn to help out her own quest.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Best armor in the game imo. To bad its for evil only. Decent ac, but the saves....and magic resist... sweeet