Skip to content

Dire charm bug

In both BG1&2 EE.

When an enemy casts dire charm, the spell is supposed to make the dire charmed character immediately attack his or her allies.
Instead, if they have a combat script enabled, they'll keep attacking the current target (enemy) until it's dead and only then start behaving like they're indeed charmed.
It doesn't work like that in the original BG (tested it myself and watched a let's play on youtube), i.e. they immediately switch targets.

The dire charm spell has already been nerfed a lot; duration has been reduced to 25% of the original version and that's a good thing as it's a powerful spell, but this bug makes it utterly useless when enemies, like sirines, use it. You'll keep attacking the enemy even if you're charmed.

The spell should stop and override the current combat script until it expires.

Comments

• SuccubusSuccubus Member Posts: 90
    Stopping the current script and assigning this one, until (dire) charm expires, should do the trick:

IF
    See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Attack(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    END

P.S. I'm wondering if I should keep reporting bugs. It seems that typo reports get more attention than bugs that have a major impact on combat difficulty.
  • SuccubusSuccubus Member Posts: 90
    I don't have a save near sirines, sorry.
    This can be tested even in the starting area.

The easiest way to test it is to spawn a sirine, or the sirine queen (islsir).
    You need to assign a combat script to your party members and turn AI on.
    You can also spawn another hostile creature to be targeted by your party members, if you wish.

In both cases you'll notice that even if dire charmed your party members will keep attacking the current target until it dies.

Oh, I'd say that fixing bugs should not be delegated to mods, especially because this bug is pretty much nonexistent in BG1.