Skip to content

[MOD] Duskblade Kit v1.1 (For BG1 EE and BG2 EE)

2»

Comments

• kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    Darkersun said:

How about implementing the quick cast? Is it possible to reduce casting time over a limited time frame as an ability? Or can the BG engine not handle something like this?

It's already implemented as stated in description. Enjoy ;)
    Darkersun said:

Normaly the Duskblade can use some 0 level spells like dancing lights. Any chance these can be implemented. If yes, than it could solve the issue of not having a class feature till level 5.
    I allredy love the kit butt some extra options would be nice.

No, I don't like it. First the're generally useless, tey are from dnd3, and at last that would be unfair to wizards and other spellcasters.

• DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    Oh I totally overlooked the HLA, thanks awesome.
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    greatest Kit mod I've ever played!
    edited February 2014
    New version (1.1)
    - Added a separate version for BG1EE
    - duskblade can equip splint mail, descriptions changed
    - added 1 lvl spell Burning Hands
    - spell progression changed, duskblade receive 1 lvl spells x 1 at first level, but touch spells aren't chanelled until 5 lvl (to keep the balance)
    - fix bug with duskblade spellbook, please feedback!

Enjoy!

greatest Kit mod I've ever played!

Thanks! :)
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    What's the explanation of max 15 con?
    Where did this rule originate? It makes little sense to me.
    It's at odds with the spirit of the rules for all other classes and kits. No other class has such a severe limitation on any stat. This needs some lore background.
  • RoarRoar Member Posts: 41
    Well, pnp duskblade rolls 1d8 per hit dice, but due to the way fighter is coded, this mod uses 1d10 for hit dice.

On an average roll, pnp will gain 4.5 HP/level compared to this mod that gains 5.5 HP/level.
    I suppose the Con penalty is used here to offset the difference in Hit dice size. Though if going by this, the Con penalty should be -1 instead of -2 unless max HP per level is assumed.

Lorewise: A fighter that also spends time persuing arcane knowledge is simply less tough than a pure fighter.

• PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    kensai said:

New version (1.1)
    - Added a separate version for BG1EE

Enjoy!

:D Thanks so much for making a BG1 version!
    Roar said:

Well, pnp duskblade rolls 1d8 per hit dice, but due to the way fighter is coded, this mod uses 1d10 for hit dice.

On an average roll, pnp will gain 4.5 HP/level compared to this mod that gains 5.5 HP/level.
    I suppose the Con penalty is used here to offset the difference in Hit dice size. Though if going by this, the Con penalty should be -1 instead of -2 unless max HP per level is assumed.

Lorewise: A fighter that also spends time persuing arcane knowledge is simply less tough than a pure fighter.

'ok i get it, makes at least some sense now

''i understand the need for emulating the pnp rules that can't be normally implemented, but i think that any such stat restrictions are at odds with the general workings of the ruleset and look super ugly - there's a simple test: imagine how a new player would react to it the fist time after installing the mod, not knowing the rationale behind it (as they shouldn't as it's not their job to worry about sub-meta- stuff but to get immersed in the game) and after seeing that pure casters have no such restrictions - it will scream ***LOOK AT ME I'M MODDED IN***

'''this is incorrect - pure casters can obviously have normal constitution, there are no stat restrictions for them

I propose a solution - remove the con restriction and leave the normal warrior hp progression. It's no big deal, the kit isn't overwhelmingly strong anyway.
    edited February 2014
    bob_veng said:

'ok i get it, makes at least some sense now

''i understand the need for emulating the pnp rules that can't be normally implemented, but i think that any such stat restrictions are at odds with the general workings of the ruleset and look super ugly - there's a simple test: imagine how a new player would react to it the fist time after installing the mod, not knowing the rationale behind it (as they shouldn't as it's not their job to worry about sub-meta- stuff but to get immersed in the game) and after seeing that pure casters have no such restrictions - it will scream ***LOOK AT ME I'M MODDED IN***

'''this is incorrect - pure casters can obviously have normal constitution, there are no stat restrictions for them

I propose a solution - remove the con restriction and leave the normal warrior hp progression. It's no big deal, the kit isn't overwhelmingly strong anyway.

Well, there is an official, druidic kit "Avenger" in the game, with -2 STR, -2 CON penalty and I don't see people screaming around.
    And please don't forget that Duskblade is a base kit from another game system (DND 3.5) so of course there would be some unusual limitations.
    So, I think it's a NO.
    The only penalty I think to change somehow in near future is - exp penalty.

• RoarRoar Member Posts: 41
    @kensai

Well currenly, exp penalty is not working in bg1ee for version 1.1. I am still gaining full exp. (Im not complaining abt the bug though =)

At level 3 now, starting with a first level spell at level 1 helps a lot to keep this kit unique, if only for the 'Truestrike' spell which helps early game thac0 problems and guarantees a whack from my 2 handed sword.
    edited February 2014
    @Roar
    Slow-fix for exp penalty
    Now exp penalty must work correctly, and it is decreased to 13%. This way, amount of exp needed to levelup a duskblade will be near similar to exp needed to levelup a paladin or a ranger. I think it fits perfectly and won't hurt a gamelay.
    (Sometimes it's hard to find and fixa bug then in your version of the game all plays correctly)

All links and mirrors are updated.

If you want to contunue your current play with this fix, and not start from a blank - just download and copy duexppen.spl into your override folder. That's all, have fun!

So, no more game balancing.

Download mirror: http://yadi.sk/d/gRrwH3JRHUREp
    kensai said:

bob_veng said:

Well, there is an official, druidic kit "Avenger" in the game, with -2 STR, -2 CON penalty...

forgot about that, you're right.
    max con 15 is too steep however, make it 16, it'll look prettier.
  • MenkalinanMenkalinan Member Posts: 17
    The new exp penalty sounds better. Thanks for this mod!
  • FunkaveFunkave Member Posts: 31
    I would like to install this amazing kit under a different class, like wizard or paladin, mostly for RP reason and specific quests. Is it a quick edit of the files or much more complicated procedure?
  • FloatenatorFloatenator Member Posts: 1
    HI there, total noob question, new to the moding thing.

How do I install this kit? Have been looking for a guide for an hour now and cannot find anything, a link to a tutorial would be appreciated if you know one .

Thanks in advance.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    edited May 2014
    @floatenator Simply put the files in your BG directory and run the setup.exe, nothing more to it than that.

@Kensai On another note this is probably one of the coolest custom kits I have ever played although I think it would make sense to allow 3 pips in two weapon style given that fighter/mages can do so, sorry if this has been asked before but two weapon style is kinda useless unless you can max it out.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Not to be overly blunt, but how is the completion progress on this kit? Cause I'm waiting for my Bladesinger, you know :)
  • ZakharonZakharon Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2014
    Hi is this mod in its full complete state or still in progress?
    Post edited by Zakharon on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I'm often hesitant about installing new kits, but this one looks amazing to say the least. VERY well thought out. Gonna give it a go and hope it works.
    I played with it for a while and so far everything works fine. It is also very well made.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    To see if I understand this right....the weapon effect does not come into play until level 5, until that time stuff like Chill Touch and Shocking Grasp are simply done with your hands?? I was confused while testing this out (possibly because I have never multi-classed a Mage/Fighter).
    Yes thats exactly how it works.
    can this work with SOD, i have lost this kit and I want it back. it was so fun to play. I had to turn the difficulty up a little but worth it. a lot of fun. a class that I think should be in the game.
    how do i get this to work with bg1 ee and SOD? I forgot how I got it working before. I miss this clas big time
    edited April 2016
    It work on EE without any issues, but I did not test it with 2.0 / SoD
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    I think there is problem with this kit. The duskblade doesn't gain caster level : at level 7 burning hand does the same damage as level 1. I first tried to play the kit on an install with lots of mod (like Spell Revisions), which might have altered it, but then I reinstalled it on vanilla BGEE, with only the duskblade kit added, and it still didn't gain any caster level. Am I missing something ? Without proper casting level, stuff like Dispelling Touch, Flame Arrows (well, any level dependent spells) are significantly weaker.

I tried to add caster level through EEKeeper with Opcode 191 Spell: Casting Level Modifier, but that didn't do anything. This is sad, because I really like this kit : it's not OP like multi or dual fighter/mage usually are, it's more like a fighter with some magical ability that are still very useful. You also keep the advantage of a single class character, which strengthen spells like Dispel compared to a mutli f/m.

Is the problem on my end ?
  • MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 55
    i guess it doesnt have any compatibility issues with other mods since u dont mention anything.
  • roninronin Member Posts: 3
    Nice job on this kit. I was the one that made the original Duskblade kit that was included in the Sword & Fist mod at Gibberlings 3.