Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Class proficiencies mod

wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 384
edited January 2014 in iPad (Archive)
Would anyone be interested in a modified proficiency chart that is not "core-rules" friendly, but at least is intuitive. Since it is a simple drop in the protraits folder, no need to package it up at all (just a 2da file).

Anyway, if you are hard core rules abider, then ignore this. If not, I'll take any suggestions. I have always felt that proficiencies were boring in that it was so standard across the board. Fighter 5, pally and ranger 2 and the rest 1. Given the unnerfed changes, I thought that adding some creativity would be in order.

0 slot: -1 to hit, -1 to damage
1 slot: none
2 slots: +1 to hit, +2 to damage, an extra half attack per round (for warriors only).
3 slots: +3 to hit, +3 to damage, an extra half attack per round (for warriors only).
4 slots: +3 to hit, +4 to damage, an extra half attack per round (for Fighters only), -1 to Speed Factor.
5 slots: +3 to hit, +5 to damage, one extra attack per round (for Fighters only), -3 to Speed Factor.

So, given the current chart, and that only fighter types can get the extra attack bonus, I think expanding the chart for classes and kits would allow much more variability and versatility. Those two factors make games more fun, not less.

So, here is pretty much what I am proposing.
Mage: 1 point in mage weapons, 2 points in darts, no points in styles
Fighter: Max in all weapons and styles
Cleric: 2 points in all cleric weapons, 1 point in all styles
Thief: 2 points in daggers, scimitars, short swords and short bow, 1 point in all styles, 2 points in DW
Bard: 1 point in all weapons and styles, 2 points in ccrossbow, 2 points in single weapon
Paladin: 3 points in big weapons (Bastard Sword, Long Sword, Axe, 2 Handed Sword, Warhammer, Club, Spear, Halbard, Flail, Mace) 2 points in other melee weapons and ranged and full styles
Druid: 2 points in all Druid melee weapons, and they can use shortbows (1 point)
Ranger: 3 points in 1 handed bladed weapons (longsword, short sword, axe, katana, scimitar, dagger) 2 points in other melee weapons, 3 pointsin long bows and short bows and full styles

For those interested or who just want to throw ideas in, does that look like a decent balance? Basically, it gives classes that are "reknown" for using certain types of weapons the ability to hit a bit harder with them. It also still allows fighters the biggest advantage (4 and 5 slots) which gives a cumulative +2 to damage and 1/2 of an attack over paladins and rangers and a full attack over clerics and thieves in addition to the benefit of having 18/00 strength. It also separates Paladin and Ranger weapons a bit and gives the ability to focus more.

I am also working on adjusting for MC and kits (basically a MC fighter will be able to get 4 pips) as well as other changes.