Skip to content

Best swords in the Game

What are the best 2-handed and long swords in the game? :) Just curious.

Comments

• emporerpantsemporerpants Member Posts: 15
    Also, kinda just a bit bummed that carsomyr is only usable by paladins. Just wondering what the next best option would be for a fighter who uses two handed swords.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    It depends on what stage of the game you're at.

Lilacor is very good because u can get it very early.

Silver Sword is very good for the mid-game because it can insta-kill.

ToB has some very high enchantment ones, which are useful for certain enemies otherwise immune to low enchantment weapons.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    There are two very good two-handers for fighters, don't worry! On in SoA and one in ToB.
    Also, a fighter/thief can use carsomyr (and it's evil counterpart, found in ToB) to great effect.

Longswords are somewhat finesse-oriented, not extremely powerful and probably aren't suited for five proficiency points. They're very good on fighter/mages.
    The best longsword in soa is found at the end of the game (there's a catch to obtaining it) and is only bested (maybe) by one sword in relatively mid-to-late tob.

Bastard swords are great because there is *one* exceptional bastard sword in early ToB. They are worth investing five proficiency points into if you're a fighter, but be mindful that there are no particularly good bastard swords in SoA (there's one that's ok).
    So, what are the best swords by ToB? Also, I thought only paladins could use carsomyr?
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Foebane, possibly.
    Carsomyr can also be wielded by those who possess the Use Any Item HLA, that is high-level rouges.
    elminster
    What are the best 2 handed swords? Thanks guys! :)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    I think OP was asking about two handed swords in particular. If you start including other swords, this topic gets much more complicated...

Anyways here's the two best swords for the endgame (in my opinion). The second one u can actually get pretty early, but like Carsomyr, it has a lot of restrictions.

+Gram the Sword of Grief +5 +5 THACO, 10% change +2-24 poison damage, +5% magic res., target loses one level each hit

+Ir'revrykal +5 "The Unholy Reaver" (Immunity to Charm, 50% chance to dispell magic on hit, 1D10+5, +5 vs good. Blackguards Only) This is a new BG 2 EE item that was not included in the original game

Edit: So basicaly... if u cannot use Carsomyr or Ir'revrykal, I think the best 2 handers are:

Find Lilacor as soon as you leave Irenicus's dungeon. Its immunities are really useful for the early game, as is the +3 enchantment.

Switch to the Silver Sword when u find the components to forge it. That's gonna be great until near the end of ToB, where u might wanna switch to Gram the Sword of Grief for the extra enchantment levels to hit otherwise immune enemies.

Anyways that's just my opinion based on what I know. I am no expert... there might be better combos out there.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    You can buy a 1d12+4 two handed sword at Ribald's special stock upon returning from the underdark. Very powerful. Strictly damage though no added bonuses.
    ^you will have the silver sword by then which is way better so you probably won't need it
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Daystar is a good anti undead longsword, can get it early in the game. Sunray especially helpful against liches and vampire swarms!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Longswords are niche weapons and they are overshadowed by other weapons in terms of raw power.

Mike's RPG center has a good listing and description of the various BG1 and BG2 nonEE weapons. http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/longswords.html

Namarra+2: It has the added effect of +2 bonus damage and the spell Silent 15 radius once per day (save at -5). Great if you dont have a cleric. It's readily available in Chpt 2.

Ras+2: Summons a +2 sword that acts like the mage spell mordy sword for 4 rounds. Short duration, but it's immune to ALL physical and elemental attacks. Also available in Chpt 2 after doing some quests.

Dragonslayer+2: Immunity to Fear, double damage against dragons. Detect Invisibility once per day. Useful only if you dont have a cleric/mage/cavalier/potions. Not something you bother with in most situations (There is 1 situation when this is useful).

Daystar+2: Enables Sundawn once per day. Azuerlage is the better weapon for going after undead.

Adjatha the Drinker+2: Immune to Charm and Domination. Skip this once you have the Helm of Charm protection. Charm immunity = domination immunity in BG2.

Flametongue+1: You may think this is a crappy sword, but this one has +4 enchantment. Go kill Kangaax with this sword. Available early in Chpt 2 at a sidequest.

Blade of Roses+3: +2 Charisma. Available early in Chpt 2. I dont know why you want this sword unless you really NEED the +3 bonus in THACO.

Sword of Balduran+2: +10 MR and some lore bonus. Skip unless you have a Balduran fetish. Available in Chpt 2.

Flametongue+1: Possibly the most pathetic named longsword in BG2. Available in Chpt 2.

Equalizer+3: Decent sword, but it's eclipsed by most stuff you can find. Let's you to figure out the alignment of enemies since most are evil. Available in Chpt 6.

Blackrazor+3: The epitome of longswords. Can only acquire if you are evil.

The Answere+4: Decent sword. It gets easier with successive hit.

Angurvadal+5: Again decent weapon. However, being a longsword means that it is eclipsed by all most other weapon types.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Basically the best 2 hand weapon is the Ravager +6 but thats a halberd not a 2 hand sword. It has an instant death effect with no save.

The best 1 hand weapon is a huge debate between Foebane +5, Flail of Ages +5 and Crom Freyr +5.

What it comes down to is that Crom Freyr's STR bonus makes it the best weapon if you can't get your strength to at least 21 naturally. At 22 strength its situation whether it is the best main hand or offhand or if you can do better with a different combination. Foebane hits slightly weaker than the others but it has a significant life drain so that can tip the scales in its favor in a real fight. Flail of Ages prevents haste which means you hit half as many times which makes it weaker, but it doesn't prevent Greater Whirlwind so if you don't have improved haste in the first place its great.

If you insist on Swords, the above metioned progression for two hand swords, from Lilacor, to Silver Sword to Gram is probably the best.

Longswords its probably Daystar (now that its +4) throughout SOA since you can get it first thing, then maybe Blackrazor if you play non-ee you can get it even if your good, and actually just Daystar throughout...

The Answerer's problem is that if you can hit it with The Answerer, you can hit it harder with Daystar. Angurvadal's problem is that it acutally usually does about the samge damage as Daystar, you get it much later, and its only 22 strength which you will probably have anyway. Therefore, I'd just go with Daystar and Blackrazor...
    edited January 2014
    Daystar, apart from being a +2 longsword has a +2 special ability thac0 and damage bonus *against evil* so it's almost like a +4 weapon.
    It has as an additional special bonus *against undead* (all undead are also evil) in the form of 3-10 magic damage. Pretty cool but not exactly "double damage" as advertised.

Namarra does not have +2 special ability bonus damage on top of a +2 enhancement bonus but simply a +4 enhancement damage bonus, which is better than Daystar, but it only has +2 thac0 (Daystar is overall better).
    (^ @bbear )

Also the 'Blade of Roses' is a good weapon before you get Daystar, it's +3thac0/+3dmg is generally better than Namarra's +2thac0/+4dmg --- Daystar is better, but if you are inexperienced, acquiring it early on will be difficult, so buy the Blade of Roses before advancing the story and get it later.

Blackrazor is by faaaaar the best by virtue of its brutal offensive special ability. You can also get this sword if you are not evil, but doing so will turn you evil.

'Dragon Slayer' works well against dragons i guess (it says that it does double damage, but probably does something else judging how Daystar doesn't do double damage against undead either)

So, this is the longsword progression: Namarra > Sword of Roses > Daystar > Blackrazor > Angurvadal (just on par with Blackrazor)
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    In soa best 2handers for me are Lilarcor. It's immunities are relevant all through the game and will save you a CC spell slot. The silver sword and for +4 enchantments the soul reaver and war blade.

For long swords namarra is great for the extra damage and being able to silence bomb enemies with a scout without worrying about hitting a spell caster. Daystar if only to use its special ability and the blackrazor obviously
    daystar has almost equal "extra damage" (it just doesn't multiply on critical) and better thac0 than namarra.
    Shift07
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Guys, the OP asked TWICE specifically about two handed swords. Why are you still talking about other kinds?

What are the best 2-handed and long swords in the game? :) Just curious.

• PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    My apologies, must have misread.
    jackjackbob_veng
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2014
    Two handed swords and long swords are both fine choices. The best thing about swords (both types) is they have more variety than other weapon types.

My personal recommendation would be to pick a weapon style (2 weapon or 2 handed) and stick to that. Like 2H swords and halberds/spears. Or dual wielding longswords with bastard swords/axes. If you want 2H swords and long swords for role playing reasons that is still viable.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    The Silver Sword is pretty good for a long time into ToB due to the insta-kill (ah, fire giants... :) ) especially if hasted/with whirlwinds. If you are a fighter and go for grand mastery I would go for Two-handed swords and stick to them if you want twohanders, if you can only specialize put 2 pips in halberds later on and switch over to ravager once it becomes available.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    the problem with lilarcor is it's an annoying piece of crap that doesn't shut up. i always use the sword of chaos over lilarcor even though it's worse because it's not a load of bollocks that doesn't fit in the bg universe
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    Joril's Dagger (sold in the Copper Coronet by the collector's edition merchant, present in BG2EE) is the best two hander you're going to get before you go to Spellhold.
    It's a +3, it doesn't speak like Lilacor does, and it does ice damage as a bonus damage type too, it's really decent.
    God
    bob_veng said:

Daystar, apart from being a +2 longsword has a +2 special ability thac0 and damage bonus *against evil* so it's almost like a +4 weapon.
    It has as an additional special bonus *against undead* (all undead are also evil) in the form of 3-10 magic damage. Pretty cool but not exactly "double damage" as advertised.

Namarra does not have +2 special ability bonus damage on top of a +2 enhancement bonus but simply a +4 enhancement damage bonus, which is better than Daystar, but it only has +2 thac0 (Daystar is overall better).
    (^ @bbear )

Also the 'Blade of Roses' is a good weapon before you get Daystar, it's +3thac0/+3dmg is generally better than Namarra's +2thac0/+4dmg --- Daystar is better, but if you are inexperienced, acquiring it early on will be difficult, so buy the Blade of Roses before advancing the story and get it later.

Blackrazor is by faaaaar the best by virtue of its brutal offensive special ability. You can also get this sword if you are not evil, but doing so will turn you evil.

'Dragon Slayer' works well against dragons i guess (it says that it does double damage, but probably does something else judging how Daystar doesn't do double damage against undead either)

So, this is the longsword progression: Namarra > Sword of Roses > Daystar > Blackrazor > Angurvadal (just on par with Blackrazor)

Actually I was refering to the change in EE that made Daystar always +4 for enchantment value so it hits anything in the game now. With that change and considering that 90% of your enemies are evil, you can pretty much just use it through the whole game if your especially lazy :) I'm at the end of TOB and its still being used by Imoen (mostly for the sunray though). She also has Angurvadal since I don't really need anyone else to use it.

As for getting it early, if you play unmodded its ridiculously easy to get just jump viconia in and out of the room until the lich runs out of spells (she's immune to most of them anyway) you'll have to wait for one pitfiend to despawn. Actually with protection from evil on in vanilla, the pit fiend has a good chance to kill the lich for you. With SCS that doesn't quite work because you get locked in. With Vanilla a hasted thief with boots of speed can also grab the sword and run back out before the lich does anything. Also you can have someone throw azuredge at him like 4-5 reloads and he will die once in vanilla.
    kryptix said:

As for getting it early, if you play unmodded its ridiculously easy to get just jump viconia in and out of the room until the lich runs out of spells...>

it's an exploit. i't doesn't count! :)

@bob_veng well you can just go in and hit him with azureedge and one shot him anyway :)
    not so easy to "just hit him" with scs at an early level
    bob_veng said:

not so easy to "just hit him" with scs at an early level

True but its just a matter of reloading until he dies :) about 10 seconds per attempt, you can probably hit him on a 15 at least, and he will probably die on a roll of 5 or less, so 16 tries on average to kill him, which is only like 2 minutes :) Probably faster than taking him legitimately.

• DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Well for swords, which I'll add katana and the others in there.

Don't forget belm and kudane which add an attack. Available pretty early on as well.

2h swords honestly are not the best damage dealers. Carsomyr +6 is the best but pally only unless thief.

There is 1 good spear and 1 good hailberd the hailberd happens to be the best in game which is the ravager +6

If your dual wielding answerer and kudane or belm are the best. With daystar as your anti undead weapon. Dragonslayer as your anti dragon.

If you happen to play any type of fighter Mage or theif Mage combination out answerer in your offhand and cast mefs minute meteors the effect still procs on each hit so you can lower enemy magic resist and thaco very quickly. I do this with my imoen often.

Derilore said:

Well for swords, which I'll add katana and the others in there.

Don't forget belm and kudane which add an attack. Available pretty early on as well.

2h swords honestly are not the best damage dealers. Carsomyr +6 is the best but pally only unless thief.

There is 1 good spear and 1 good hailberd the hailberd happens to be the best in game which is the ravager +6

If your dual wielding answerer and kudane or belm are the best. With daystar as your anti undead weapon. Dragonslayer as your anti dragon.

If you happen to play any type of fighter Mage or theif Mage combination out answerer in your offhand and cast mefs minute meteors the effect still procs on each hit so you can lower enemy magic resist and thaco very quickly. I do this with my imoen often.

I think this works with energy blades too right?
  • DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Yeah it does 10 apr each lowering enemy ac by 2 and mr by 15