Skip to content

So this just happened...

Time for Edwina to figure out how to change back, must have happened while traveling.

I get to the forest, she casts her spell and a cow falls on her.

what forest you say? well I decided to travel to a wild magic zone! Now she wont even move (stubborn I suppose!)

Well I reloaded and went somewhere else, all worked out. This blew my mind though.
booinyoureyesCrevsDaakNonnahswriterargent77jackjackGolmarKidCarnival

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    that... is awesome
    CrevsDaakstarskyjackjack
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Yeah, I hate getting to my destination only to have a cow drop on one of my party members. That's the worst.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,428
    The falling cow happened to me too, right before the main entrance of the hidden camp. My main character almost died from the impact (down to 4 HP or so).

But I really like the wild magic zones. If you're lucky your mage casts an area effect Stoneskin on your party. More interesting are the less useful effects however. For example, Viconia changed into a Viconio after casting a healing spell on me. Although his voice was still female.
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyes
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    When I was in the wild magic zone, I forgot that it makes everyone wild surge. So I was going to use one of Jaheira's last Cure Light Wounds on Neera, only to wild surge.

She got to roll twice. She turned Neera into stone (or would have, if Neera hadn't saved vs. spell), and cast a mass Heal on everyone in the party. So one Cure Light Wounds on a heavily wounded party member became an AWESOME recovery for a heavily wounded EVERYBODY. It was awesome! :D
    jackjackCrevsDaakmlnevese
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Well, once in Candlekeep I got Gems 3 times with Wild Surges, I was full of money.
    Then, in the Wild Forest I've tried to cast Heal with Viconia to the PC with 2 HP (Fireball trap :/), guess what? Wild Surge: Burst, the PC, Neera, Viconia and Dorn died.
    elminsterjackjack
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Should wild surges effect Devine spell casting? I thought clerics and mages spells worked completely differently lorewise?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    They definitely affect divine casters.
    @Decado EEKeepered a Wild Cleric, I believe.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Delvarian

I am no lore expert, but I remember reading that although divine spells are granted by Gods, they still function through the Weave (and Mystra cannot prevent other gods from granting their clerics spells), and thus would be effected by wild surges too.
    BelgarathMTH
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2014
    @Heindrich
    Actually, divine spells come directly from gods, hence the name.
    Arcane spells come from the Weave, though. Hence the spell failure and wild-magic areas.

If it functions differently in the game. (If divine spells are affected by wild-magic) then this is a game error.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    The Weave is considered many things, including Mystra's body, the source of magic, all the studies of casters, arcane and divine alike, and the many energies and forces that exist around the planes. It can be thought of as a "fabric" on which magic is "drawn", and damaging the fabric causes magic to go awry.

Casting a spell is equivalent to telling the Weave to rearrange itself to create an effect.

@Archaos ^^This is what I meant.

I don't think the Weave is the source of Arcane magic alone, it is the medium through which all magic functions. The difference is that divine spells are granted by gods. I think this is why divine spells are also divined into schools like enchantment, divination etc...
    BelgarathMTH
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Oh! Yes! That happened to me too! Except it was with the nether scroll. Instead of turning into a woman he summons a pit fiend. (Not really. I can't remember what the surge was) I had to reload and go somewhere else. It seems like plot-effecting spells like that shouldn't be effected by wild surges.
    Delvarian