Skip to content

Immunity to poison ?

I am currently wearing the necklace that gives me protection from poison, but I have one of my casters cast cloud kill or stinking cloud and my PC takes damage,( from cloud kill), or falls asleep ( w/ stinking cloud) . A previous game I was playing a Cavalier who is immune to poison but the same thing happened to him. Is this a glitch in the game or am I missing something rule wise ?

Comments

• vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I think even though cloudkill does poison damage, the amulet only protects you from being poisoned (arrows, spiders, etc.)

Not sure if the protection from poison scroll does the same.

It seems a little silly, IMO being immune to poison should protect you from poisonous gas clouds.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited February 2014
    Immunity from poison protects one from getting poisoned, which would otherwise result in taking poison damage, which is somewhat akin to elemental damage. It does not protect from direct poison damage itself. Bit of a technicality, I agree, but not a bug.
    Edit: why do I use such a pissant phone? Autocorrect indeed.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Yea the descriptions in the game could probably be adjusted to reflect what protection from poison actually means, because in some cases there is clearly cause for confusion.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I think cloudkill causes magic not poison damage (even though it should do poison).
    Skaffen said:

I think cloudkill causes magic not poison damage (even though it should do poison).

No it causes poison damage.
  • brotherboobrotherboo Member Posts: 48
    I also tried casting protection from poison scroll w/ same results.
    But if it's poison it's bugged completely (and was like that in vanilla as well) since it bypasses all protection from poison items, monk poison immunity, aggros Skeleton Warriors and damages them if it passes their MR, ...
    Skaffen said:

But if it's poison it's bugged completely (and was like that in vanilla as well) since it bypasses all protection from poison items, monk poison immunity, aggros Skeleton Warriors and damages them if it passes their MR, ...

Its probably more of an oversight than a bug.
    Most bugs are :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    elminster said:

Skaffen said:

Isn't the status of Cloud Kill acid damage? I believe the creatures in the mage laboratory in Watcher's keep 2 are immune to acid and doesn't take damage from Cloud Kill.
    kamuizin said:

elminster said:

Skaffen said:

Isn't the status of Cloud Kill acid damage? I believe the creatures in the mage laboratory in Watcher's keep 2 are immune to acid and doesn't take damage from Cloud Kill.
    No its poison damage. Not sure which specific creatures you are referring to but Ice Mists for instance have acid resistance and are protected against poison damage.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I think Elminster is right that there is such thing as poison damage. The Green Dragon in WK level 5 is immune to wand of cloudkill. Its Green Dragon Breath damages my character despite he has 100 acid and 100 magic damage resistance. The dragon's breath is the same element as its immunity.

There are very few protections in the game that can guard against poison damage. The Gaax ring and the protection from poison scroll grants immunity to the poison status rather than poison damage. The only protection I can think of is the protection from magic scroll.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Case in point - the poison weapon ability of the Blackguard can be used to kill otherwise poison immune foes (like undead). In BG, one can kill ghosts, etc with it.

So I rather suspect that Poison damage is an all-too-different type of damage than just "poison".

It is probably hardcoded.
    WebShaman said:

Case in point - the poison weapon ability of the Blackguard can be used to kill otherwise poison immune foes (like undead). In BG, one can kill ghosts, etc with it.

So I rather suspect that Poison damage is an all-too-different type of damage than just "poison".

It is probably hardcoded.

Ulcaster isn't actually treated as being undead and he has no protection against poison. Same with the Ghost Knights.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Poison and acid being separate things is evident simply from each being a different head of the Flail of Ages. Only the latter seems to have much that resists it though, an easy oversight since they are very much related, even if mechanically different.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    elminster said:

Ulcaster isn't actually treated as being undead and he has no protection against poison. Same with the Ghost Knights.

That is pretty strange, isn't it? I stand corrected.

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    IIRC Hexxat has %100 resistance to poison? So can she be poisoned but take no damage? ('is immune to my damage' message pops up)

Poison damage is seperate from acid damage, their colors look similiar in the combat text log, but poison damage has a pale sickly greenish color. Fire is burnt red, lightning is pale blue, cold damage is dark blue, etc.