Skip to content

Is there a way to remove the pickpocket skill requirement in V1.2?

@elminster mentioned in this thread (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22203/pick-pocket-changes) about how STLSTEAL.2DA determines the new pickpocket skill requirement in V1.2.

Unfortunately my attempt to modify this file failed to remove or lower it in the game. Does any one has any idea on how to do it appropriately? Many thanks!

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    best way to edit it would be to set all the numbers to 1 (as 0 means impossible)

using Near Infinity works pretty well for this, so long as you make sure to save.
  • nonmisainonmisai Member Posts: 8
    SethDavis said:

best way to edit it would be to set all the numbers to 1 (as 0 means impossible)

using Near Infinity works pretty well for this, so long as you make sure to save.

Thanks for the reply. Problem solved by using Near Infinity. In fact previously I used the wrong 2DA file name. The actual file controlling the requirement should be SLTSTEAL.2DA.
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110
    SethDavis said:

But would setting every 0 to 1 not mean that it´s far too easy to succeed at pickpocketing with even a multi- or dualclassed thief who only puts a few points in pickpocket and focuses on traps or open locks?

IMO higher minimum levels of pickpocket do make sense in that they make a dedicated pickpocketing thief in the party useful as something that only the dedicated pickpocket can do.

@nonmisai Could you perhaps give a step-by-step description how to find that file and change the values in that file?

When I would want to make stealing items that currently have a 0 (unstealable) possible but HARD then how high would a sensible skill minimum be? What is the maximum value for Pickpocket in that file? 99 or can it have 3 digits? What would be the maximum pickpocket skill that a thief can reach in BG EE?
    Is the value in that file the pickpocket skill a thief has to have to be able to steal, or is it the modified pickpocket skill after all bonus changes (e.g. potion of thievery)?
  • nonmisainonmisai Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2016

SethDavis said:

But would setting every 0 to 1 not mean that it´s far too easy to succeed at pickpocketing with even a multi- or dualclassed thief who only puts a few points in pickpocket and focuses on traps or open locks?

IMO higher minimum levels of pickpocket do make sense in that they make a dedicated pickpocketing thief in the party useful as something that only the dedicated pickpocket can do.

@nonmisai Could you perhaps give a step-by-step description how to find that file and change the values in that file?

When I would want to make stealing items that currently have a 0 (unstealable) possible but HARD then how high would a sensible skill minimum be? What is the maximum value for Pickpocket in that file? 99 or can it have 3 digits? What would be the maximum pickpocket skill that a thief can reach in BG EE?
    Is the value in that file the pickpocket skill a thief has to have to be able to steal, or is it the modified pickpocket skill after all bonus changes (e.g. potion of thievery)?
    @ConjurerDragon It has been a while since I last visited here. I just put the steps below in case you still need it.

First you should get Near Infinity, then use it to open the chitin.key in your game folder. Once the .key file is loaded, you would go for the 2DA folder on the left panel, and look for file name SLTSTEAL there. After you find it, edit the skill value required for the items in the right panel. Be sure to save when finish editing.

Hope it helps.