Skip to content

Extra Shield/second-hand Slots

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
Imagine the clothing colors option (color squares) in the inventory screen were replaced with extra Shield/Second-hand Slots.
  1. Extra Shield/second-hand Slots64 votes
    1. Yes, add extra Second-hand slots here.
      73.44%
    2. No, but thanks.
      26.56%

Comments

• Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Iwd2 already have this option, so you can have 4 quick selection that can be switched in combat, for exemple:

F1. a 2handed sword
    F2. a 1hand sword and a shield
    F3. a bow
    F4. a 1hand dagger and a 1hand sword
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    No, but thanks. I voted wrong. ;/
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622

Iwd2 already have this option, so you can have 4 quick selection that can be switched in combat, for exemple:

F1. a 2handed sword
    F2. a 1hand sword and a shield
    F3. a bow
    F4. a 1hand dagger and a 1hand sword

Yeah, I know IWD2 has this. But what I don't know is if they even had the rights or the ability to implement this using the BG2 infinity engine.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I like the Icewind Dale version, the only real problem with it is if you want to use the same item in two different sets. For example, two different weapons and the same shield. You would have to manually move the shield, which defeats the point. But I still like the mechanic, and I would like to see it implemented in BG:EE.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    ''Yeah, I know IWD2 has this. But what I don't know is if they even had the rights or the ability to implement this using the BG2 infinity engine.''

Probably Not. ^^
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I believe I remember asking Trent about this on twitter and he said it was something they were definitely looking into.

For me I really like it since the 2 things I enjoy playing most (Ranger and Paladin) switch between 2 different combat styles often. In the case of my ranger I Regularly change between a Bow and Dual Wield if possible, while on my paladin I try to change between a Greatsword, Longsword and Shield and Warhammer and Shield based on enemy and what I feel I need most at the time. If they could please give us the IWD2 setup I would be so relieved.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    @Boaster I would vote in favor of IWD2-style weapon swap, but why replace the clothing color options?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    I'll chime in with @g314, I'd LOOOOVE to have multiple weapon configurations IWD2-style, but I don't see why this should be done at the expense of the color options buttons. The whole inventory screen could be re-done, anyway.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    g314 said:

@Boaster I would vote in favor of IWD2-style weapon swap, but why replace the clothing color options?

Completely agree with this
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Does the team have access to IWD or IWD2 codes? If yes, go that route. If no, maybe this suggestion could be implemented instead.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Yes because I like to switch between melee and ranged depending on the situation.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I'd prefer something whereby you could right click on an item in your inventory and then establish that by pressing a certain button you will equip that item into a certain hand.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I adore this idea. When it comes to shields or off hands and main hands, changing the weapon yhour using or the shield makes a big difference. Having more room in your inventory and having everything on quick bar makes things even more convenient. I definitely vote yes for this
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    Boaster said:

Does the team have access to IWD or IWD2 codes? If yes, go that route. If no, maybe this suggestion could be implemented instead.

As I understand it, they aren't allowed to change too much from the original game (including color options that all creatures have), only add a few more things here and there, and that's it. We know that they're are reworking the UI, so they could add this option, but the current screenshots show that characters can still be colored, so I can't see why you would trade off this option while we can have both. IWD2 runs under the same engine after all.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    IWD2 style quickslots are nice, but I like the NWN style even better since they let you have the same shield combined with a different weapon (or vice versa) on separate slots.

IWD2 only allowed you to put a given weapon or shield in a single quickslot, so if you wanted to change your weapon without swapping shields you'd have to do it the "old fashioned way".

If shields could have quickslots that were completely independent from the weapon quickslots, then that would be a nice solution as well.