Skip to content

Any quick ways to earn gold in BG original?

JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
I find myself getting tiny bits of gold killing monsters and doing small time quest. Are there arenas or some type of minigames to get more gold?

Comments

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    winterwolf pelts and bandit scalps (Or was that just xp rewards? I dont remember >.< )
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2012
    This is all the fun of BG1! saving money for a big shiny armor! :)

Dont worry, In time you will get enough money.. just loot everything.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Fastest way for me has always been CLUAConsole:AddGold("1000000").
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Well, cheating always works, I suppose... Looting and stealing also helps, like places that are empty at night (some stores, for instance).
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    Well, sell and steal back all your magical gear, you can have a lot of cash just after the Nashkel mines.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    You could always kill the evil cleric Basillus and claim the 5000gp bounty. Very easy and early in the game.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2012
    Just do the mines, as soon as you finish that chapter you'll have plenty of loot and magic items to pawn.
    Hoarding armor and selling it for scrap is also an easy way to turn a coin.

IMO, ankeg, poaching is just wrong, they perform useful functions in keeping the soil nutrients stabilized.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Selling the ring you find in FriendlyArm... But that feels a bit too much cheated :D Otherwise, Nashkel is a good "legal" way.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    In the original there was always "Gatekeeper" and then came "ShadowKeeper"
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Completing quests and exploring wilderness areas usually leaves you with a ton of stuff to sell. You'll be up to your eyeballs in magic scrolls by about level 3, sell them off unless your mages need them.
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    Thanks everyone (but not the guy using the cheat code)
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    Selling Ankeg husks to the blacksmith
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Sceptenar said:

You could always kill the evil cleric Basillus and claim the 5000gp bounty. Very easy and early in the game.

This, plus, he has a really badass hammer on him.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Take everything and sell it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think there is a bug when you give the nymphs hair to be made into a cloak. Once the cloak is made, if you immediately check the shop keepers inventory, there will be an option to sell it for about 90000 gold I think.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    BG2 had that trick with a powered-up thief and a black market operator where you sell expensive stolen goods, steal them out from under his nose, then sell them again. You could make about 10000 GP at a time. But I think the major sources of funds in BG1 are the bounty on Bassilus and the Ankheg shells north of the Friendly Inn (the good news is that you can tackle both almost immediately - Bassilus can be weakened through dialogue and the Ankhegs are nesting openly in the area where you pick up Ajantis).
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I've actually found the main problem in Baldur's Gate isn't that it's hard making money, it's hard finding anything worthwhile to spend it on. During my last playthrough I bought everything I wanted and still had over 80k left...
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Sceptenar said:

I've actually found the main problem in Baldur's Gate isn't that it's hard making money, it's hard finding anything worthwhile to spend it on. During my last playthrough I bought everything I wanted and still had over 80k left...

Fully agree. I went on a shopping spree at Sorcerous Sundries and bought magical ammunition and wands for half an army, but I still had so much money left and not even remotely enough people to utilize said equipment. I guess the problem gets smaller when you just don't feel like you absolutely need to do every single quest...
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    actually, knowing the story of the 3 games, i usually don't buy much except a few specific things and spells since i'll lose them anyways. i have found though that putting the items into a bag of holding (clua'd in, of course) at the end of bg1 means that when i start bg2, all i have to do is clua a bag of holding and everything is still there, including my claw of klaxxgon. not sure if this only works on BGT though
    Post edited by Bjjorick on
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Two methods. First is to take out Bassilus for the 5000gp bounty and the Ashideena warhammer. The second is to loot the ankheg lair quest north of the Friendly Arm Inn. A cleric with several Sanctuary spells can do this without fail at level 1 (Chainmail +1, wand of fire, good potions etc). You can also recover the body if you quaff the warrior-restricted strength potion you find (so unless you're a fighter/cleric, that's going to be hard) to do the farmer's quest. Then another farmer will give you a cloak of protection that sells for 2500gp ish IIRC. This also gives you lots of experience points, and combined with the nearby fishermen's quest which you also can do just by avoiding ankheg's, you can solo a level 1 character up to 3 within 15 minutes of starting the game...
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    as said above +ankheg armour and ring of wizardy and prot ring from (secret) places