Skip to content

[BG2 Bug] Shield of Balduran is inconsistent when reflecting Beholder/Gauth rays

nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
edited July 2013 in Fixed
CURRENT BEHAVIOUR

Shield of Balduran (WA2SHIEL.ITM) is sold by the bonus merchant Diedre in Ribald's shop. It's equipped abilities are:
* Reflects Beholder rays (also Gauth rays by association)
* -1 Strength penalty

However, the shield is extremely inconsistent when reflecting these rays, often absorbing & not reflecting/absorbing some but not all rays/not doing anything. The sprite (glowing white disc under NPC/CHARNAME) is also inconsistent in regards to when it appears or not.

In my most humble of opinions, I believe it has something to do with how the rays themselves are programmed in conjunction with the reflection programming (there are numerous forum posts on this topic...)

EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR

Shield of Balduran reflects 100% of Beholder/Gauth rays back at the monster in question without absorbing/allowing any rays through to NPC/CHARNAME.
Post edited by AndreaColombo on

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited June 2012
    I absolutely support this. That shield's inconsistent behavior has been bugging me since forever, and I know modders have been trying to fix it several times to no avail. There must be something wrong in the implementation of the OP code used to achieve the ray reflection.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    This is in BG2 ...

BG EE is not finished yet and you want patching bugs in BG2 ?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Seldar

Both games employ the same engine, so any engine fixes that get implemented automatically affect both games. Moreover, as Philip Daigle pointed out in this thread, they are technically working on both games simultaneously and we're therefore welcome to start posting our BG2:EE related desiderata.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    edited June 2012
    Isn't this true for all spell-turning-like effects? This was researched/fixed by - mainly - Suslik and Ascension64; and added as a ToBEx feature. If it hasn't been brought up yet, here is the whole thread on Spellhold Studios, someone more knowledgeable should make a thread about it.

EDIT : Actually this is the correct thread about the spell protection glitch. Previous was only fixing the animation (?)
    Post edited by lansounet on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yeah, seems like they diagnosed and fixed the problem just by working with binaries. Imagine them working on the source :D
  • ImperialSImperialS Member Posts: 7
    This shield makes fighting with beholders very easy.. Now it is absorbing dmg or reflecting, in both situations it makes owner invincible against beholder.
    My question is, should it really make owner invincible or only add reflect but does not affect owner, means he/she will have to check MR & roll saves as well?
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    Imoen seems to be the source of why it wasn't reflecting properly in mine. But I run the GOG version without the Enhanced Edition crap added in. Sorry for the necro.