Skip to content

Oops - good way to lose a little reputation?

theleethelee Member Posts: 76
I guess in BG2EE i can't use Viconia to juggle my reputation at 18? The moment I hit 19, all evil characters leave before I have a chance to reform party to do the drow reputation dance.

So, uh, what is a good way to lose some reputation in Amn? I'm LG, so for role-play purposes preferably something other than killing a random commoner...

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Erm... I don't wanna spoil you if this is happens to be your first playthrough. But your Charname has a unique ability that reduces your reputation by 2 every time you use it. You won't have this ability until part way through BG 2...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    If you're caught stealing from a shop's inventory, you'll lose 2 reputation. You won't be able to buy from that merchant again though.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    Pick up annoyingman and do his quest. When he kills Saerk's daughter your rep will drop by 2. He did it himself, so your CHARNAME doesn't have to feel guilty.

Why is LG CHARNAME associating with such folks of ill repute anyway?
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    Eh, viconia and hexxat are dubiously evil (versus say Edwin).

Also this isn't my first play through but I'm not far enough in the game to do slayer form (and don't want to wait to cash in this umar hills quest).

I already did anomen's quest the right way. I guess that leaves me letting hexxat do something sketchy in a random store. Won't guards come attack me and open a whole new can of worms though?
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Have you solved the riddle of the buried man? You know, the one that starts at the graveyard district and ends at the bridge. The evil option there will cost you a couple of rep points.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Poison the fountain in trademeet quest - all in the name of progress and commerce!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited February 2014
    Skaffen said:

Poison the fountain in trademeet quest - all in the name of progress and commerce!

If you mean poisoning the druid grove you can only do that if you are approached by the halfling. You have to have low reputation to be approached by him to begin with.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76

Have you solved the riddle of the buried man? You know, the one that starts at the graveyard district and ends at the bridge. The evil option there will cost you a couple of rep points.

Great idea!
    @elminster Right, forgot about that - though I think it's dependent on alignment not reputation, I certainly got the offer with an evil CHARNAME but positive rep.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Skaffen said:

@elminster Right, forgot about that - though I think it's dependent on alignment not reputation, I certainly got the offer with an evil CHARNAME but positive rep.

Quite possibly could be the case. In any case it won't work here.
    @thelee: Glad to be of help.

Hey, what's this with the halfling and poisoning the grove? I've obviously been a good guy, because I've never seen anything like this in any of my games. Anyone care to shed some light on this?
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    If you have an evil alignment, a halfling will come to you and ask you to poison the grove. This, obviously, kills the grove. The Mayor will totally chew you out, you'll lose one rep (seems a bit low, honestly), and you won't get the further Trademeet quests or pretty statues.

...But it's kind of funny.
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    The safest way to lower your reputation is cheating and using something like shadow keeper.
    @Wittand: But many of us, myself included, would never even consider cheating.
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54

@Wittand: But many of us, myself included, would never even consider cheating.

If someone is too good for even such a minor bending of game rules they rightfully deserve their 20 reputation with all consequences.

Without cheating the best way is to go to the promenade and pickpocket one of the merchants standing alone in their shops, as others have already posted. But frankly if one really plays good, one soon runs out of merchants because there are so many quests that raise the reputation, but very few moraly gray ones that lower it.

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I believe you can lose 2 rep by getting caught burglarizing some peasants in their houses. As far as I know, there are only 2 touchy peasants in Athkala. One house at the Dock next to Cromwell and one house at the Bridge where you get a free Ankeg Shell.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    If he is Lawful Good (and playing it as well), then stealing is out of the question.
    Put something in the chest? Might trigger as well.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    No good way to lose rep, only evil ways.

Get it? See it's a joke son.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    vangoat said:

Summon a pit fiend in the temple of lathander

...oh wait, that's totally fine according to BG2 rep system

That is some seriously funny sh!t right there lol
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    vangoat said:

Summon a pit fiend in the temple of lathander

...oh wait, that's totally fine according to BG2 rep system

Killing priests in all 3 temples and the paladins in Radiant Heart result in no rep loss. Apparently, those people must be evil.
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    Charm some commoners/Nobles and lead them to empty buildings, where you finish them off. Or find some non-quest related residences and slay their useless residents..
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    OP has stated killing commoners is a no-go.
    Otherwise, yes - murderdeathkill would be the obvious solution…
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    How many slavering requests will I be inundated with for a performance of the Drow Reputation Dance now, I wonder?
    I'll go first:
    Reputation Dance pls!
    Oh! Oh! DRD pls! Pleeeeeese!

I would put an "unsavory" character in the lead of the party (with poor thief skills) and have them try stealing from a merchant that you do not need.

Your Charname can cuss them out later "you'll never lead this party again! What were you thinking?!"

Then you solve your dilemma - you get your rep hit AND you stay in character.
  • PUFPAFPUFPAF Member Posts: 18
    Many of the commoners and residents are so rude to you or show no hospitality when you enter their homes...so for RP purpposes they deserve some punishment :) and for LG to want to restrain your reputation in order to keep the evil companions does not seem right...
    PUFPAF said:

for LG to want to restrain your reputation in order to keep the evil companions does not seem right...

This.

Got that right.

WebShaman said:

I would put an "unsavory" character in the lead of the party (with poor thief skills) and have them try stealing from a merchant that you do not need.

Your Charname can cuss them out later "you'll never lead this party again! What were you thinking?!"

Then you solve your dilemma - you get your rep hit AND you stay in character.

This is brilliant.