Skip to content

Gorion?

killingwithasmilekillingwithasmile Member Posts: 19
So I hate how in the first game you can't kill Gorion; I attacked him with my level 10 Chaotic Evil Warrior and defeated him but just died automatically. Is it too much to hope that they allow you to actually kill the old bastard this time round, even if only for a brief alternate-ending cutscene and credits???

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Level 10 when the level cap for a fighter is, like, level 8?
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2012
    Sure it's fun to save the game and just go on a rampage but killing a key character to start the game you can't really continue with the story and seen as your problem is about 1 in 50% of the BG1 population the extra work put into an alternative ending would not be worth it.

Though it would make a cool Easter egg which would be instantly published on YouTube.
    Post edited by Shadow on
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    actually, for an easter egg, and to combine the idea of the op, you could have a talk with gorion, since your char is about the age of puberty, talking about how you suddenly have these new feelings and urges that you don't understand. How you're noticing things you've never noticed before, how people seem different to you, how you want women to quiver before you and men to fear you. it would be based off the bhaal spawn powers lurking within you, not actually puberty, and you could have a joke answer that would kill gorion and force you to reload your save.

Just a thought, haven't got it worked out enough to go into detail, but seems like it would be a fun way to start your game.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012

So I hate how in the first game you can't kill Gorion; I attacked him with my level 10 Chaotic Evil Warrior and defeated him but just died automatically. Is it too much to hope that they allow you to actually kill the old bastard this time round, even if only for a brief alternate-ending cutscene and credits???

For some reason I was under the impression that you could kill him but just never advance outside of Candlekeep. Like you could still run around and stuff. The only time I killed him was with a mage stacked full of monster summoning wands (it was from me importing the end game export file). I then hid away behind the library wall while invisible while I sent minion after minion to their deaths to face Gorion (no one said I had to fight honorable). Long story short I killed him. Maybe I died afterwords, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. There were no credits though, just the opportunity to run around candlekeep. I beat him in vanilla bg though, no totsc.
  • DeltaslayerDeltaslayer Member Posts: 49
    You can't kill him. At least not with a smile.
  • killingwithasmilekillingwithasmile Member Posts: 19
    Surely it could not be too hard to create, Lets say the character can just venture out of Candlekeep without having to hold Gorions hand. Gorion may be the initiator of the storyline, but the information he provides is not vital nor extremely informative. He dies before explaining anything anyway. There are even hateful comments you can choose to say towards Gorion later in the game that would fit in quite well without having to make dramatic changes.
    Surely it could not be too hard to create, Lets say the character can just venture out of Candlekeep without having to hold Gorions hand. Gorion may be the initiator of the storyline, but the information he provides is not vital nor extremely informative. He dies before explaining anything anyway. There are even hateful comments you can choose to say towards Gorion later in the game that would fit in quite well without having to make dramatic changes.
    While that's true, the story in bg1revolves around getting revenge for the murder of you dad, no matter that you were adopted. A lot of character interaction is based around the sudden loss of your dad in bg2, and while you could play it off as the fact that your char hid it in the dialogs, there would have to be a moment in bg2/tob where you're forced to face that you killed your dad. Certain NPC's would see you as a monster and leave you just before a big fight. It has alot of potential, but i somehow doubt that will happen, because gorion sorta distracted sarevok so you could get away in the beginning.
    Yeah that's true, a lot of people in BG1 sympathize with you and the death of Gorion and to think the char just lies to every one is a bit far-fetched. I guess I just don't like the idea of not being able to kill a character in the game. One of the things that drew me so much to BG was the fact that you could do just about anything, and the epically amazing story line. Oh well, if its too much work to incorporate Gorion's murder at the hands of the CHAR, and of too little importance to add in as a novelty, then I guess Ill never be able to destroy that bugger.
    @killingwithasmile i know there are ways to create chars with scripts in the game. Why not find out gorion's stats, level, memorized spells, etc, go in and create the char, you can even name him gorion in game, just so long as his file is named otherwise. You could add him as a member of drizzts party or even make it so that you run across 2 or 3 of him in a special encounter. something like he wasn't killed, or sarevok rezzed him, charm'd dominated him, and in the case of 2 or 3 of them, cloned him and sent him after you.

you could have your fun, and still pull a star wars, sarevok murdered your dad, and choose not to talk about the rest. shouldn't take more then 4-6 hours to set it all up and then it would be a permanent part of your game. you can also set it up somewhere in the bg1 game that you don't go very often, say the far northwest corner of firewine bridge (the gauntlets of weapon skill is in the far northeast corner, afaik, nothing in the far northwest)
  • DowDow Member Posts: 8
    It's not like he really did much apart from cast Protection from Evil which wore off before the meeting with Saverok.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    A totally evil character could kill Gorion, sure. But obviously without cheats it is impossible for a 0 XP character to defeat a level 15 character. There are threads out there on various BG forums on how to do this if you just want to experiment with the game.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    Not what I was expecting when I saw the title....
    Bjjorick said:

@killingwithasmile i know there are ways to create chars with scripts in the game. Why not find out gorion's stats, level, memorized spells, etc, go in and create the char, you can even name him gorion in game, just so long as his file is named otherwise. You could add him as a member of drizzts party or even make it so that you run across 2 or 3 of him in a special encounter. something like he wasn't killed, or sarevok rezzed him, charm'd dominated him, and in the case of 2 or 3 of them, cloned him and sent him after you.

you could have your fun, and still pull a star wars, sarevok murdered your dad, and choose not to talk about the rest. shouldn't take more then 4-6 hours to set it all up and then it would be a permanent part of your game. you can also set it up somewhere in the bg1 game that you don't go very often, say the far northwest corner of firewine bridge (the gauntlets of weapon skill is in the far northeast corner, afaik, nothing in the far northwest)

Wow, never knew you could anything like this, lots of programming I guess right. any idea where I'd found out how to do this.

@killingwithasmile well, that does depend on if you're going to be playing BG1 pure or BGT or BGtutu. I don't know BGtutu, but let me know what version you're playing and i'll look through it and see what i can pull up.
    @Bjjorick Im playing Baldur's Gate 1 with TOTSC expansion. cheers for the help mate, much appreciated.
    @killingwithasmile i haven't done anything yet, just wanted to find out so i could look into the right set of files as i have BG with totsc and BGT installed. Let me find a program to edit some files and see what i can do for you.

On a side note, should i look into upping his difficulty any? or do you want plain?
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    That would make the game even more diverse, but apart of that why would someone like to kill Gorion!? Well, we should probably ask Sarevok. Right?
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I sould make Gorion killable, then spawn Ulraunt in and insta kill you. Problem solved.
    @artificial_sunlight sooooo why doesn't ulraunt spawn in and insta kill sarevok. and please don't say he was on the can at the time.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    @Bjjorick Because Ulraunt only cares what happens inside de Keep.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    It's not like he really did much apart from cast Protection from Evil which wore off before the meeting with Saverok.
    @Dow I know! He heals you if you lost an HP to the mighty rats, but the protection from evil seems silly. Makes me wonder if something was planned for after you leave Candle Keep, but they settled for the slaughter of Gorion as we know it due to game engine limitations.

I sould make Gorion killable, then spawn Ulraunt in and insta kill you. Problem solved.

I wouldn't mind that, sounds like a good idea in fact! Let us be able to kill the old man, then have Ulrat or whatever battle the Char. :))
    @killingwithasmile
    nah, they could just have biff the understudy come and perform his lines. it's not like we would need him for long, and i think it would be hilarious. especially if sarevok makes an aside like (get it together kid, you're killing my moment)

@Dow I know! He heals you if you lost an HP to the mighty rats, but the protection from evil seems silly. Makes me wonder if something was planned for after you leave Candle Keep, but they settled for the slaughter of Gorion as we know it due to game engine limitations.

Even if you get the protection of evil cast on you, and head directly to Gorion, it wears off while in dialogue mode with Gorion before even leaving Candlekeep. FYI this problem was being solved in a separate thread.