Skip to content

ambient music looping in BG1 *no action*

s997863s997863 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2012 in Fixed
Hi, I hope this is the correct place for this discussion:

Thanks for doing BGEE. Here's something from the original BG1 that I couldn't find in the existing threads:

In BG1, most outdoor/indoor areas had continuous, looping, ambient, non-combat music. This was my experience playing BG1 on an old pentium-200MHz machine.

On newer computers (pentium3+), this ambient music hardly starts playing by itself when it should, like when you enter a new area or after combat music has ended. The ambient music DOES start playing when you quicksave or alt-enter between fullscreen & window modes, but doing that every time really kills the immersion you would feel otherwise.

To see this effect, run BG1 and enter the candlekeep inn behind you at the game start. step outside and go back into the tavern repeatedly. sometimes the tavern inn music plays but usually it doesn't. it should always start playing.

I couldn't find anyone talking about this on the internet and it seems most people don't even notice it, and must be thinking that BG1 simply doesn't have so much ambient music in every single area (as is the case in BG2). This silence really kills the original atmosphere/feel of the game, and you would know what I'm talking about after you've tried it.

I tried troubleshooting, and the only thing that works is to slow the game down to the point where it stutters like crazy (using all software BLTs and/or some slowdown utility). but BG1 ran at smooth framerates on pentium-200MHz machines without this problem. I can only guess that the engine is having some problem on faster CPUs and can't properly initiallize musics (on older machines, the transition was very smooth & atmospheric as combat music would fade out and then the ambient music would fade in, rather than a sudden cut-off). Sorry I don't have anything more useful to add since I'm not familiar with programming/software ...
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    edited August 2012
    The Same Ambient Sound will play over and over and over again if you switch to another screen (inventory, game options, map, character profile... etc) and then switch back to the Game Screen.

This is more of an annoyance than a bug. I hope this can get a fix or some sort of adjustment.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    For example with BG Tutu, during the day time that same damn bird will whistle every time.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    hey i noticed the same. The music behaves kinda weird. I thought it was just my imagination.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Merged @Boaster's earlier thread with this one.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I don't believe this an issue any more. I started a new game in the beta and entered the tavern many times and every time the music started. Plus @Nathan has been playing with sound related stuff so...
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    As far as I know music is working supar awesum.