Skip to content

Curiosity about Beamdog and Overhaul following projects

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
edited February 2014 in Off-Topic
So, as the title says, what's in mind for the next project of the company on PC RPG terms? So we will have an enhanced editions of Icewind dale? Planescape Torment, Temple of elemental evil, Pool of Radiance, another entirely new game based on BG (2) EE engine, nothing?

So can the devs give a hint or comments? Can we give opinion in these projects (here or in the proper place and moment)?

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I keep saying it, but I would really love an EE of Icewind Dale.
    I'm playing through it again with mods, and while it's pretty painless, I definitely see areas that could be enhanced. The story is actually quite good, if not on the same level as BG1&2. There is substantially more freedom for roleplaying, and dozens of little touches that show how much care really went into this game. Yes, it's combat-heavy, but to say that's all there is simply isn't accurate.
    And the music is absolutely masterful. I got chills listening to it again.
    I know it's out of the question due to licensing issues, but this is something I would pledge toward substantially on Kickstarter.
    Failing that, I'll resort to groveling for it.
    IWDEE pls!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Neverwinter Nights. I want the multiplayer back so the good old days can come again.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited February 2014
    So does Beamdog ended their work with BG2:EE or can we expect more titles on BG, IWD, NWN and alike style here?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    And I'd like to think their work is not done on the patch front.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    I guess it will be this way = Android version>Patch>Adventure Y>Few minor DLCs for both EEs>Final "big" patch>Planescape Torment EE>Brand new game. But thats just a guess :)
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I would love P:Torment EE.
    But they couldn't change anything (It would be blasphemous)!!!!
    No new NPC's, no new dialogues, just bug fixing and better resolution...
    How much would it cost?
    How many copies could they sell?
    I think @Xzar guess is OK, except for P:TEE
    They need to change the entire interface of PS:T cos the old interface sucks a lot. A well placed optional NPC or TWO wouldn't be problematic, specially if temporary NPCs for history prupose.
    Seein that you ppl devs are in touch with ATARI (hence the BG enhancements done), exist any chance of revamp the NWN2 engine?

Beside some bugs that need some work on, i really like that engine and it's class system evolution. Some improvments on the engine and the character aesthetic customize would solve the problem.

Really wanted to play a new long history on that engine!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    kamuizin said:

A well placed optional NPC or TWO wouldn't be problematic, specially if temporary NPCs for history prupose.

Indeed, I'm really looking forward for a possible additional NPC in P:TEE as well. The key is to make he/she/it believable for the Planescape setting and then fleshing the dialogues, personal quests and overall character depths out with a similar amount of content to that of the original NPC's of P:T. This would of course require way more resources, time and dedication than it took for the new BG(2):EE NPC's we currently have. Which is exactly why I believe it would be best to limit it to a single NPC.

For instance... I'd love to see a joinable Bariaur Priest NPC! Ever since I saw one of those goat centaurs native to Ysgard ingame for the first time, I felt the desire to travel with one. His or her personal quest could for example take place at new locations in the Upper Planes, which could be accessed through portals in Sigil. Kind of like Hexxat's tomb walking, but way more immersive.
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    scriver said:

PS:T is very held together in how it approaches NPCs. All of them have a direct and deep connection to the story of the Nameless One. There's no banding up with a bunch of random people like in BG (or every Bioware game I can think of, for that matter). You can't just add characters like that to the story the sane way you can add more NPCs to the BG games. It's not the same kind of writing.

Indeed.
    You hear that, Beamdog? Don't you dare defile Chris Avellone's Magnum Opus with sub-par writing, or any of his works for that matter!
    scriver said:

PS:T is very held together in how it approaches NPCs. All of them have a direct and deep connection to the story of the Nameless One. There's no banding up with a bunch of random people like in BG (or every Bioware game I can think of, for that matter). You can't just add characters like that to the story the sane way you can add more NPCs to the BG games. It's not the same kind of writing.

Much of this is nostalgia speaking dude, indeed i agree with your words, that every NPC in the party had a reason to be there, still none were essential, after all we can build our party as we want with an limit of NPCs that ALWAYS let one NPC out of the party in each end game.

I believe an NPC added to PS:T need to be VERY WELL worked, but it's a challenge i believe Beamdog should take.
  • AzoAzo Member Posts: 12
    IWDEE <3 I hope . :)