Skip to content

all the wild mages are hostile. (spoilers)

I am doing Neera's questline, and all the wild mages are hostile. And I mean every single one, from King Grzmm to the ones in the cages to the dwarf barkeep (but only when I leave?) And telena to boot. What is up? I'm wondering if it is because I cheesed Lanneth with II and SI:Divination. Sorry about the messy writing, I'm posting this from a tablet.

Comments

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Probably you hurt one of them accidentally - happened to me with the one in the center cage who got caught in an AoE spell.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    anyone else find that quest unbelievably difficult? it took about a zillion tries. is there a sneaky way to do it? i ended up killing everyone in the shop
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Oh, it is difficult (and I soooo loved it! And there are not any walkthroughs for it either, so it was really, really good!).

I really wish there would be more of such encounters, tbh. You have to be very, very careful in who gets caught in your AoEs. I lured them back after sending one of my party forth (after setting the rest of the party in a "stage area" of my choosing, back enough so no-one but the intended get caught in the AoEs).

Then run back (preferrably with Haste boots if you have them, if not, then with the Haste spell) and let those who come after have both barrels!

I can say that Neera certainly got her vengeance on that day! "Burn! BURN Red Wizards! And in your burning cleanse the world of your taint!"

You will need to do this multiple times, for the different areas. If you mess up, they will swarm you from every direction (and the Wild Mages will be enemies).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    As I recall I used a lot of luring and traps.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    edited February 2014
    This is a great fight! I wish there were more like this in the series, lots of moderately powerful opponents. Its a real test of planning and resource management.
    But what worked for me was just to talk my way past the bar. Then there's a hallway before the room where Red Wizards will attack you. I completely buffed in the hallway, then my three tanks and Neera in to deal with the mages, while my cleric and Imoen dealt with the warriors coming in from the bar. What a hoot! The Red Wizards died fast enough. While Imoen and the cleric just fired off all their fireballs and Holy Smiting until the tanks could come clean up. Mass carnage of the most entertaining sort. But I did save this until after the Underdark, way too dangerous for a lower level party.

But keeping all the action in the Wizard's room and hallway keeps that bartender from getting caught in the crossfire.
  • setsunaluvrsetsunaluvr Member Posts: 29
    My spell tactics tend to be mkstly spamming chaos and slow after a few greater malisons. Then i sned in skellies and the flesh golem. That is why I am confused, because that is a party and bystander friendly tactic.