Skip to content

TOB Final Boss, How do i win?

10 years later... I completely forgot how to beat the final boss.

My party

Me - Human Male, Fighter Class
Jaheira - Half-elven Female, Druid/Fighter
Sarevok - Human Male, Fighter Class
Montaron - Halfling Male, Thief/Fighter
Xzar - Human Male, Necromancer
Imoen - Human Female, Thief/Mage

The party level is around early 20's

So is it possible to take down Amalyssan with this party?

MAGES - What spells should Xzar and Imoen have in there spell book? And memorized?

CLERICS/DRUID - What spells should Jaheira have memorized?

FIGHTERS - I heard to use whirlwind attacks. When should I use them?

Comments

• illusionillusion Member Posts: 17
    Whirlwind, whirlwind, whirlwind. Try to use them in conjunction with a breach or spellstrike from xzar. Iron Skins and Lots of greater elemental summons from Jaheria. Summon a Planetar or two if possible. Memorize some implosions and Bigby's Clenched Fist to hold her for a round...implosion does a shitload of damage because it ignores her ridiculous MR. I actually haven't played TOB in probably 6-8 years so hopefully others will have more suggestions.

Vasculio
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 133
    Wait what?

Your party has to have an issue here, Montaron and Xzar are not available in BG2 as NPCs. They have a cameo apperance that is all.
    Level 20 is also weird tbh, as by the time you finish Shadows of Amn you are already level 15 minimum if you only followed main story without many sidequests.
    Generally you finish Shadows of Amn as a level 18ish and if you do watcher's keep you are around level 30 for the final fight (I rememeber that I was level 35 or something, this does depend on class dough, but I think a fighter can get to level 38 by the end of the game and there is no shortage of experience to get that).
    I get you didn't do everything but still it is weird you are in 20ish levels for final fight instead of 25-30 if nothing else.
    As for fight itself:
    I have few suggestions. Potions of wisdom, mages level slot with Wish filled with tada WISH. Always ask I want my party healed and rested.
    As Illusion said Whirlwinds, really a good tool. Summoned units, Deva's, planetar's, Elemental Princes. All 3 useful, your decision which one to have out. Try to keep buffs to have max Con and Str up all the time. Your two fighters constantly switching for Agro as she hits like a maniac. Have lots of pots, drink them, your only cleric will have quite a work with buffs so her healings will be a bit limited, specially if you summon Elemental Prince with her which is a really great idea as princes can withstand solid beating which ain't going towards your fighters. You best pray for Earth elemental prince as he is one constitutional SOB.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Vasculio
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014
    That party can win for sure. I didn't do all quests and didn't farm xp so my party only had 5M-ish xp (Keldorn had about 3M cos he was a late replacement for a perma-dead character) when I faced Melissan.

In terms of spells, take out Timestop (it doesn't work) and all other 'subtle and utility' spells and pack in as much protection penetration and firepower as you can manage. I even bought extra Breach, Pierce Magic etc scrolls, though you should be okay if you got a Rod of Reversal, which I missed out on. Wish scroll is very useful, but a bit cheesy in my opinion.

At each stage of the battle, focus on Melissan, since her summons disappear when she goes down. Pace your use of magic, don't unload all your spell sequencers and triggers on one stage, and remember that the third battle vs Melissan is the toughest, I made the mistake of hoarding too much for the final stage that almost got me killed before then.
    Vasculio
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    CRTL+Y and begone.

Or just fully buff Jaheira, use Critial Strike + Improved Haste with dual-wield and kill her in some rounds.
    You can also use some Implosion as was said before and you can also try to Lower Resistance over Amelyssan to kill her with Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting.
    I must say that she never gave me trouble, the real pain is with Ascension... Illasera is too over powered and Yaga-Shura has 99% resistance against everything but Cold damage, Sendai has a hell-awesome script that will break your ass six times in a row if you haven't been killed before by Balthazar or Sarevok or by Abazigal who got an improved AI too, and he was already cheesy...
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I dunno whether using Lower Resistance and ADHW is really an efficient strategy given that you have to face her four times (as well as three other fights). I've never had trouble with her just packing lots of Breach through Wands of Spellstriking, whacking her with Improved Hasted warriors, and making sure my party all has level drain protection. If your party is dying position them such that the focus is on a character with PfMW or a lot of damage resistance.
  • I still have no idea how I won in all honesty. Just summoned ridiculous amount of monsters to fight hers while Keldorn fired the Firetooth + 4 at Amelyssan, which seemed to do damage. Took at least half a dozen tries though :P
    jackjack
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Last time I did it, Lower Resistance actually didn't affect her at all, she still had her full Magic Resistance (which according to EEkeeper is 90)... She is just bullshit as a fight so I just use cheats because if the game isn't gonna be fair why should you?

But yea, the best way to beat her? Whirlwind attacks, lots of them. Offensive spells are rendered pretty much useless since she's stuck at 90% Resistance, even after getting hit with a triple lower resistance spell trigger.
    WolkVasculio
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Kaltzor said:

Last time I did it, Lower Resistance actually didn't affect her at all, she still had her full Magic Resistance (which according to EEkeeper is 90)... She is just bullshit as a fight so I just use cheats because if the game isn't gonna be fair why should you?

But yea, the best way to beat her? Whirlwind attacks, lots of them. Offensive spells are rendered pretty much useless since she's stuck at 90% Resistance, even after getting hit with a triple lower resistance spell trigger.

Last time I checked in vanilla BG2, lower resistance does work on her. Are you playing a mod or is this changed since BG2EE? I believe she is immune to spell levels 2 or below, but anything above should work.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    bbear said:

Kaltzor said:

Last time I checked in vanilla BG2, lower resistance does work on her. Are you playing a mod or is this changed since BG2EE? I believe she is immune to spell levels 2 or below, but anything above should work.
    This was in BG2EE, and every spell I threw after the Lower Resitances just gave "Magic Resistance" or whatever as she resisted them...

Testing it again, spells were going through now... Just with every element being 100% ineffective.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    @Kaltzor: Melissan has 100% elemental resistance. Elemental spells like fireball, acid arrow, chain lightning and cone of cold have zero effect. Pure magic spells like skull trap and horrid wilting should still do damage.
    HeindrichjackjackVasculio
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014
    Yes Horrid Wilting certainly worked, and I'm pretty sure that Flame Arrow didn't. But at the end of the day, I found that a good +4 (or better) weapon is still the best bet to take her down, after you've Breached her protections, of coursee.
    jackjack
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    I'm still losing to Amelyssan. If I upload my save, can someone try it out and see what im doing wrong?