Skip to content

Baeloth's reaction(s) to high rep - intended or bugged?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
I recently came across Baeloth for the first time in BG1. At that time I had 20 rep, so I didn't figure that I would be able to keep him in the party for too long, but I invited him in just to check him out. When I invited him in, he instantly "broke" from the party, then begged me to let him back in (which I did), at which point my rep lowered by 2 only after I let him in the 2nd time.

Since my rep was now lowered, I was able to re-recruit Dorn (who I had been unable to re-recruit due to my high rep). Later I experimented with how both of them would react to a rep going above 18. Dorn leaves, telling you that he can be found at the FAI. However, Baeloth still gives you the option to let him stay.

At one point, I told Baeloth to go to the FAI instead of allowing him to stay. I then followed him, then talked to him to re-recruit him. He joined, then instantly broke and walked away - then another Baeloth appeared on the original spot, begged me to let him stay (which I did), and only after that my rep lowered again.

Because Baeloth is an Easter egg, is he supposed to be able to stay in your party no matter what your rep is? Also, shouldn't your rep lower the instant you let him in, rather than having to go through the process of talking to him multiple times? - or is this "bug" done deliberately as a means of enabling him to stay no matter your rep?