Skip to content

is this 'hardcore' idea feasible?

I always feel a little cheap just reloading every time my party members die. Also, I sometimes have a hard time deciding who should be in my group, and want to try out different members. Those two things led me to this idea.

I was thinking about playing a 'hardcore' version where there are no 2nd chances....if a character dies, he dies. To counter this, I would play on the easiest setting. The idea would be that survival is of the utmost importance. I imagine I would go through lots of different party members, cause if Minsc dies I can always add Dorn, or whatever.

My fear is that, even still, I'd run into some situation where my whole party gets held and killed off or something, and then what? Do you guys think this idea of no 2nd chances is feasible for a fun playthrough if I play on the easiest setting? I'd have to be really careful to keep more healing potions and things like that in a pinch, and I'd have to do something I never do which is run away if I'm outmatched.

Comments

• mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    No reload is very feasible, even without cheesing or using easy difficulty. It's for me the only fun way to play. Otherwise, i just buff, send the warriors and hope for some lucky rolls. No reload you are forced to play the game properly.

It is much easier to do solo than i a group however.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    No reload does not mean no resurrection - of course, you can play without doing that as well. Just keep picking up replacement NPCs as you need them.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It is doable, if you have a sound character build/strategy, essential items and spells, and luck.

You may wish to visit bioware forums about 'no reload' baldrurs gate walkthroughs. There, pro players document their adventures and tactics, and once in a while one even manages to finish the game with no reload. Also, condolences and ale are available from the friends there, should a player character meets an untimely and violent death. (as it so happens frequently.)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There's a website, Play it Hardcore, dedicated to this idea. You don't need to play on easy though. There are a lot of ways to eliminate chance (unless you get a random encounter basilisk).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No rez is a pretty common challenge setting, actually.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    Its a good challenge, though with my current solo sorcerer insane, scs i dont think i would manage no reload. I'm in candle keep and charname died at least 6 times. Though i'm pretty sure there are people who can pull it off.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    @lunar Luck has no place in a no reload run. The game is too long. If you rely on luck, i guarantee you that you will get unlucky and die. Apart from that,i share your point, it.s a matter of planning. The order of the quest is especially important.

@shar, i dont know avout scs but in vanilla, the sorc is probably the easiest class to complete the no reload trilogy run with
  • bradubradu Member Posts: 18
    I was thinking of going with an assassin or assassin/fighter. I think I'd have to play a very selfish 'survive at all costs' type of character in order to make sense of this. I am by no means a hardcore gamer, in fact quite frankly I suck at games. So I would definitely go on easy mode. I know that's kinda cheesy, but what I'm looking for is NOT a harder challenge, I am challenged plenty in the vanilla game as is. But to me it seems more realistic to not just be able to reload if things go your way...

The biggest issue I can see is that if my whole party gets wiped out, which is certainly likely to happen, then I'm in trouble. I imagine if I do try this type of run, I'd end up going through just about all of the possible NPCs joining my group, and probably still end up solo. But it could be fun to try.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    For BG1, I don't think it would be a problem to do no resurrection. There are a large number of redundant NPC's to cover the ones that die (12 Fighters, 7 Thieves, 6 Mages, 7 Priests, and 2 Bards) and there aren't a huge number of inter-party conflicts to worry about either.

BG2 would be a bit more difficult since there are way fewer NPC's to take (especially for Thieves), the inter-party conflicts are more damaging, and the game makes it harder to avoid deaths. You'd need to plan out your backup NPC's and make sure that you won't inadvertently set them up to kill each other.

Personally I think it'd be more fun to just play "no reloads except on PC death" as a good, not-too-rough difficulty setting. You're forced to deal with the consequences of character death in the middle of a questline without it affecting the rest of your playthrough.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    mumumomo said:

@lunar Luck has no place in a no reload run. The game is too long. If you rely on luck, i guarantee you that you will get unlucky and die. Apart from that,i share your point, it.s a matter of planning. The order of the quest is especially important.

@shar, i dont know avout scs but in vanilla, the sorc is probably the easiest class to complete the no reload trilogy run with

Yeah with scs mages enjoy pre-casted protection spells/bufs plenty of invisibility potions they dont hasitate to use as well as potions of stone form and defense sometime when there are 3-5 mages dispelling protection may be tricky. I mean battles like Mendas, Karoug easily doable but others may not be.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    @bradu Yeah definitely, for some folks no-reload is a regular playstyle. Some like to play no-reload/no-resurrection as well. No need to set difficult to easy if you're using good strategy. It's inevitable that you'll have some deaths in the party from time to time, but when you do replace the slain character with a new one. There's lots of NPCs.
  • I always say that a character has the ability to be raised from the dead once, and restored once. After that, they're beyond magical help :P
  • bradubradu Member Posts: 18
    I kinda like that rule...
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I tend to allow resurrections (but I go and take one con away from that character in Shadow/EEKeeper, just to be D&D fanatical about things), but no raise dead/harper's call. So once you're down in BG1, you're down.

Of course, in BG2, resurrections are easy- Aerie, Anomen, Viconia, lining up here! So you probably need to change the rules up for BG2. Maybe just one resurrection for one person, and elves aren't allowed to be resurrected at all like they can't be raised? Hm.
  • uglyducklynnuglyducklynn Member Posts: 61
    It'd definitely possible to do a no reload run even without playing on an easy difficulty. Once resurrections come into play, maybe keep it to a Dragonball Z level, where you can only bring a person back one time.