PC Paladin
Minsc
Jaheira
Viconia
Hexxat

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2014
    I think every combination is possible, just much harder.
    Though with an Inquisitor you should be fine, I think.

Also have Jaheira spam Insect Plague. Maybe even Cernd instead of Minsc for more Dispels and Insect Plagues.
    With Carsormyr, Inquisitor's Dispel and Insect Plagues, you should be fine.

Though, as a role player, this makes me roll my eyes.
    A PALADIN, a RANGER and a DRUID tag along with a VAMPIRE. *Sigh*
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Yes it is.
    What do you fear ?
  • knight1337knight1337 Member Posts: 32
    Archaos said:

I think i'll add Dorn (Blackguard) as the 6th member
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2014
    Add Rasaad instead, Monks are great at killing mages.
    Also Anomen can replace Viconia too, he's a great Cleric.

Though adding a Blackguard (ANTIPALADIN) is slightly better than adding a Vampire.

(...Must keep myself from using Smite Powergamer...)
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Trap, trap, trap your way to Godhood...

No Mages required.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2014
    Archaos said:

my thoughts exactly

id play a thief dump Hexxat and take Keldorn
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    With an inquisitor it's hardly a challenge...

I'd probably make the PC an archer and use Keldorn, Hexxat, Mazzy, Jaheira, Anomen (maybe Vicy if you prefer her). Yeah yeah, using Hexxat is cheesy, but you can't use Jan due to the challenge setting. You don't NEED a thief, though... If you remember all the trap locations, at least. Regarding your original party, I think 5 chars in melee is just too many, it gets crowded you know. Besides, magical arrows are great if you don't have a mage to shoot magical fire arrows, dispels and such.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    WebShaman said:

Trap, trap, trap your way to Godhood...

No Mages required.

This. I recently beat draconis and hexxat's traps did all the work!
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited February 2014
    It's possible to finish the game solo without playing as a mage, so with a full party of non-mages, it's probably a lot easier. Cleric magic is pretty useful. I personally use cleric offensive spells more often than mage spells even though my current PC is a mage/cleric.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    ARKdeEREH said:

It's possible to finish the game solo without playing as a mage, so with a full party of non-mages, it's probably a lot easier

I still contend that a solo playthrough is easier than a full party playthrough.
    Instinctually, I understand this makes little, if any sense in theory - nevertheless, I have found it holds true in practice.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    It actually does make sense - you get more kill XP, I believe. Thus, higher levels.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    A no arcane magic playthrough all the way up to the final TOB fight is an ambition I've never realized. Not in the least because I tend to play no reload (or at least no death). Do you people really think that traps can do the trick? Maybe vanilla, but in a modded version (SCS, Ascension, etc) as well?
    I think I'd end up using scrolls with UAI, which is almost the same as playing a mage and takes away part of the feel of roleplaying a thief.
    Thief is my favourite class, and probably the one I know how to play best. Perhaps I should start a new playthrough in which I can only recruit non-arcane thieves (so only single class thief, fighter-thief and cleric-thief), and I would have to play with at least 2 or 3 companions at a time (to avoid becoming an overly powerful solist). For BG2 this would require the use of NPC mods or EE-/Shadowkeepering (f.i. Viconia makes sense as a Cleric/Thief IMO, maybe an restore Imoen to undualled thief, etc).
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I don't think I could do it in SCS. Maybe a custom party, where there were barbarians everywhere, but not with the canon NPC's in SCS. But I'm no Baldur's Gate genius. I'm sure someone could manage it.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Without SCS it's no issue at all, I have had several runs without any primary caster (mage, priest, druid) - "lazy runs" because you just select all and click, plays like Diablo. :)

I haven't fnished SCS yet but I think it might be possible with a Dark Moon Monk (and throw in Rasaad as well while you're at it). Approach would be too boost MR as much as possible and then just take whatever spells they throw at you and hope for the best till defenses run out. Put all points in Detect Illusion and use Keldorn for Carsomyr's dispels till MR reaches >90.

I would also suggest one fighter with Azureedge - gives you a dcent chance to kill liches with the first shot until defenses trigger. Mazzy has done that a few times in my current run even with precasting enabled.