Skip to content

When do the levels for Dorn or other new companions get set?

So I spoke to Dorn at FAI then had his encounter in Nashkel but told him maybe later to join? Is his level now set or will it be set the first time I let him join based on my level at that time?

(My guess is it's already set but one can always hope LOL)

Is the level for a companion set the first time you speak to them in BGEE? - or the first time you come within sight? I was thinking in Vanilla it was when you first spoke.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I think it's still set when you first talk to them. Neera and Rasaad gain levels if you enter the maps, but don't talk to them. I would guess it's the same for Dorn and if you want him to level first, you don't talk to him in FAI until you are higher level. Without doing that, his cutscene on the way to Nashkel Mines won't trigger and you can get it later (even after completing the mines) by going back to FAI, talk to Dorn, then travel between Nashkel and Mines map to get the cutscene. Same with Neera, just avoid that street in Beregost, so she doesn't force herself on you.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Good point about Dorn - I hadn't thought about being able to talk to him later to trigger the encounter
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think it's set when he joins rather than when you speak to him in the FAI. I actually think the FAI Dorn is a separate 'character' (CRE file) than the encounter one (similar to how the Imoen in Candlekeep is different to the one who joins your team). I think if you refuse him in the ambush he will carry on levelling.

I think it's set when he joins rather than when you speak to him in the FAI. I actually think the FAI Dorn is a separate 'character' (CRE file) than the encounter one (similar to how the Imoen in Candlekeep is different to the one who joins your team). I think if you refuse him in the ambush he will carry on levelling.

That would be awesome for my current run!

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    If you recruit Dorn at the ambush site, he destroys himself and spawns an appropriately leveled version right where he's standing (unless your PC has very little XP, in which case he just joins you). If you refuse him then, he does not do this, and you can pick him up at the FAI at level 1.

Neera is similar.

Rasaad's level is set when you enter Nashkel.
    Jalily said:

If you recruit Dorn at the ambush site, he destroys himself and spawns an appropriately leveled version right where he's standing (unless your PC has very little XP, in which case he just joins you). If you refuse him then, he does not do this, and you can pick him up at the FAI at level 1.

Neera is similar.

Rasaad's level is set when you enter Nashkel.

Good to know thx!

No time limit on how long you wait to speak to Dorn originally at FAI or "stumble on" Neera in order to spawn their respective ambush?

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    As far as I know, there's no time limit.

I believe the levels you can recruit them are set at 1, 4, and 6, are they not? Depending on the average level of your party?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    they don't carry their proficiencies and stuff over to the next game do they? I miss BGT...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    No, Dorn follows his 'default' proficiency selection in 2, so the initial ++ in 2HS and 2WS, followed by a + in Crossbows at 3 and 6. He also adds a + Bastard Swords at 9, which I believe is the lowest level he comes at in 2.