Skip to content

New Thief game

AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
Anyone played it?
I read a well-written review here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-reviews/10658395/Thief-review.html

Which slaughtered it, I am especially saddened to hear about the rail-roading way the game plays.
I never played the original Thief, but after reading about the original I was very much looking forward to this game :\
jackjack

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Yeah, I saw terrible reviews for it too. I was looking forward to this game as well. I might still get it, since the stealth mechanics are good, but I still have a lot of games on the go right now.
    Aristillius
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I would recommend watching totalbiscuit's video. It is spoiler free enough

my thought is that it looks like a good game, and if I didn't have so many games this month I am already interested in I would likely get it. I am keeping it in mind in the future when I have time or I see a sale on it, but not just yet. I love games like this or the original metal gear solids before 4 where it comes down to sneak or die. some people will blame them for the poor gunplay/fighter/etc, but the point behind those poor mechanics was that you then essentially had to sneak. there is no run and gun option in metal gear unless you go to easy difficulties, and in thief there is practically no way you will make it going through the game killing everything. this makes for a great stealth game, so if that is what you are looking for I won't say that you should entirely trust my word as I haven't played, but in my opinion it does look like a good game, and TB's opinion might help.
    Aristillius
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/02/26/thief-reboot-is-a-calamitous-disaster-of-epic-proportions/

Another interesting review. As someone who played through the entire thief series, the new one is terrible shite beyond what words can ever hope to express. Thief... The grandfather of the entire Stealth genre. The benchmarking, point of reference, all time classic, got shamed.

Eidos cannot be blamed, though. They got bought and owned by Square Enix (Final Fantasy). They wanted some fast buck. The easiest thing was to reboot their classic series. They had to find ways to make it appealing to a larger audience, not only the old and/or diehard fans. (Dark side of management)

First step was *consolization*. Some Deadly Shadows (Thief 3) reviews will shed some light to this term, and some general, negative outcomes, its mere existence and implementation brings forth. Like the loading screens, the long time it takes, the engine limitations that force designers to create small and simplistic missions/stages, and so on.

The second step was messing with the game, its mechanics and stuff. Thief, excluding Deadly Shadows, had always been a title exclusive to PC. From Deadly Shadows onwards, it comes with first priority to consoles, then horribly ported over PC, with whatever flaws and limitations are found during that malpractice.

Third step, was not picking up the previous protagonist voicer, Stephen Russel. And changing voice actors. This might sound a bit nerdish, but believe me, the voice of this man only is responsible for like 40% total of the total success and legend, thief series had always been, up until now.

The fourth step, was halting the production of the game, in order to wait for the next gen of consoles to come out. Dustfart fairies goddamnit, for a game, that had always been exclusive to pc!

Fifth step, was implementing in beta version of the game, a killing and experience getting system. This aroused so much criticism, that it was actually, and thankfully, abolished.

The sixth step, that put the final nail in the coffin for me, was the selling policy of this particular game. Making it a Steam exclusive, even though many people own the series on other distributing services (like GoG). Breaking it down into the horrible DLC sellfest and malpractice, avoiding selling in one package the entire, complete game, and with ridiculous pricing on top of that! While the FIRST title of the series, Thief the Dark Project, was released in ONE package, containing ALL extras/extra content, named Thief GOLD, and most importantly, under ONE price, and a fair/good one on top of that! DLCs pimping and shitty monopolies are neither my thing nor my turn ons, and insult my intelligence as both a gamer and a paying consumer.

I own the series on GoG, without DRM, with a ton of extra, digital content given out for free. And those 3 classic games can be enough on their own. Deadly Shadow's ending, left too little need/space for a possible sequel anyway, effectively closing the series while it was still decent, high quality and iconic to its initial standards and goals. RIP the best stealth games ever created (and the first one, too)...
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Sequels like this make me cry :'(
    RIP Garrett - you were too beautiful for this world.
    Demonoid_Limewire
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    after looking so much into this it almost feels I should watch some more videos and see if what I saw is a good assessment. it didn't look so bad from what I've seen, but as I've said my word shouldn't be trusted as someone who hasn't played it myself or watched an extensive amount of it.
    jackjack
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I heard it resemble tomb raider, some old players say they ruined it and others says it is good.
    Wonder they succeded making a world which has its unique atmosphere?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I own the original on Gog.com but I haven't gotten around to playing it. From the sounds of things I probably should before considering buying this new one!
    jackjack
    edited March 2014
    It's more like a "dishonored" wannabe. Nothing less, nothing more. It earns respect and gets liked, almost exclusively from new gamers, and owners of consoles (that also own pc). And almost exclusively for its similarities and influence with "dishonored". For a: 1) Dishonored fan 2) Console gamer 3) Newcome to pc player... it can actually be somewhat good and enjoyable. For all others though...
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Looks good, It's one of those really immersive games that you just get lost in, been wondering about it and I'll probably like it more than Dishonored.

@Demonoid_Limewire‌ Take of the nostalgia goggles please
    lolien

Looks good, It's one of those really immersive games that you just get lost in, been wondering about it and I'll probably like it more than Dishonored.

@Demonoid_Limewire‌ Take of the nostalgia goggles please

ASL??? Please? (age sex location)

• CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Woah, @OneAngryMushroom‌ and @Demonoid_Limewire‌ . No reason to bicker over age or nostalgia goggles on a BG forum, k?

That said, I can definitely see the hand of Dishonored in the new Thief. It's kind of weird because it doesn't feel like you have the same mobility. Which I don't like because I'm way too reckless for stealth games.
    AristilliusDemonoid_LimewireCrevsDaaklolien