Skip to content

Taking on the Cowled Wizards

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
I am considering not paying Cornelius for the next playthrough, which would make spellcasting more interesting within Athkatla, and also give me the option to take on the Cowled Wizards. I want your advice and opinions on a few issues though.

1) Assuming that my party consists of a Lawful Good (Kensai=>Mage) Charname, Yoshimo, Anomen, Keldorn, Aerie and Neera. Do you think such a course of action is justifiable from a roleplay perspective? In particular I wonder if Aerie and Keldorn might object.

2) I know that the wizards attack on the second provocation. But how does the battle develop? If you keep casting spells in your confrontation against them, do they keep coming, or is there only one response for each particular transgression?

3) Is it feasible to take on all the Cowled Wizards in a series of battles without rest? It seems unrealistic that you can potentially defeat one group, and then not face relentless pursuit in Athkatla/Amn. In fact as far as I am aware, you can pretty much pick and choose the when and where of your confrontation against the Cowled Wizards.

4) Assuming the above party. At what level can you realistically take on all of the Cowled Wizards without resorting to cheese? I guess I want two answers here. One for if I tried to take them all on at the same time without rest. And one for taking them on in separate battles, so basically the question would be 'at what level can I defeat the final group of Cowled Wizards.'

5) Do you have to do this before Spellhold? Do the Cowled Wizards still act against you after the Underdark?

Thanks as always. :)

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The Cowled fools are a vile, opportunistic organization rife with corruption and a blight on the shining City of Coin.
    Kill 'em all and let Bhaal, er, Torm sort 'em out.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2014
    Don't take them all on without rest, with every appearance they increase in power. The first group is easy, the last group has powerful mages with high level spells. (Unless my memories are influenced by SCS??) I'm not sure whether they all show up in one fight if you keep on casting...

Either way, you might want to wait until you've completed various side quests. You could do the side quests outside Athkatla first (maybe after the Circus and Slaver quests go directly for Arnise, Umar, Trademeet, maybe Windspear though that's a difficult quest). There isn't that much battle in Athkatla in the open air, but if you do the city quests first you'll have to travel between areas, and that's when the open air battles take place, with slavers, vampires et al.

I think you can take on the Cowled ones after Spellhold as well. Good luck anyway, kick some cowled ass. I completely agree with @jackjack.
    Post edited by Blackraven on
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited March 2014
    None of the NPC's object as far as I know. From a roleplay perspective, I suppose Keldorn might. I don't think Aerie would, although she might not think it sensible considering all the problems it causes. But although she's Lawful Good I don't think she cares much for Amnish laws, or at least has little faith in the people who uphold them. She was a slave for a long time, where everyone could see, and obviously the guards kept turning a blind eye to it.

Otherwise though, it's been too long since I've not paid.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited March 2014
    From a LG perspective I think it's critical - it is the law of the land after all. Not a good law but the intntion to prevent destructive mage battles in the street can't really be faulted. Of course trying to enforce it leads to just that... :) As CG I would see no problem, but LG would probably gave to bite the bullet and pay.
    The only alignment I see having trouble justifying this is Lawful Neutral, but heya, that's me.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Skaffen said:

From a LG perspective I think it's critical - it is the law of the land after all. Not a good law but the intntion to prevent destructive mage battles in the street can't really be faulted. Of course trying to enforce it leads to just that... :) As CG I would see no problem, but LG would probably gave to bite the bullet and pay.

In Aerie's case, I think she's LG because of her conditioning to be obedient. I think her 'matural' alignment is Neutral Good. Although I think Lawful Good can also mean adhering to laws of higher power, universal or godly laws, regardless of the laws of the land.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    edited March 2014
    It would probably be a little on the "lawful stupid" side to blindly obey corrupt laws anyway, imo. Your kensai could stand by his/ her own laws and rules, those of their church or god etc. It would also make more sense when you come to side with the Shadow Thieves, too. As if you're taking a firm stance of not following Akathla's flawed legal practises (and why should you, after they took Imoen away after just defending herself?) it makes dealing with shady people a little easier to justify.

Well, lawful good doesn't necessarily mean "law of the land" anyway. If your character was LE/ LN I could see them following the law and not attacking the cowled mages. But Lawful good, nah...it makes sense to do the "good" thing and weed out the "bad" guys.

Well...that and you get xp and loot of them, of course.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    With Keldorn in the party you are all set for taking them on early and without cheese. Dispel and tear them apart.

BTW, I wouldn't say they grow stronger each time you anger them. You fight the same enforcement party about six times, then you fight their strongest.

Another BTW. If you don't want to fight them yet but still want to cast spells in public (I cannot abide an unhasted party), cast the spell and walk away before the enforcer can tell you you've been naughty. It shouldn't cost you any battles with them - I did it several times, and then when I finally let him speak to me, it was to deliver the first warning.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    edited March 2014
    You engage one cowled wizard party per game hour. The instant you cast a mage spell at the second hour, another group teleports in.

The cowled wizards do become progressively more challenging. Later groups will use more higher level spells (Horrid Wilting, Symbols, Power Words, etc). They usually consists of a mage specialized in monster summoning spells, one with disabling spells and one with damage spells. The fourth (or fifth?) one is a simulacrum of another.

The cowled wizards in Amn will hunt you down regardless whether you have passed Spellhold or Underdark. I guess there are multiple divisions working in Amn.

In my opinion, the best place and time to engage them is at nighttime in the city gates. There are no civilians at night and your party can retreat into the inn. The area is relatively small so they wont run too far. Also the Amn guards will help you (but most of the time die trying.)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    when I did this in my game I did it in the docks district. I had a little area that was generally free of citizens so I could fight them without innocent casualties. with keldorn his dispel will make it really easy as well as you just cast that and send in your fighters to clean them up while they are unprotected.

i rather like the idea you are thinking about this. thought i might need to convince you a bit to get us to do this in our MP game :)
    I like to have it out with them on Waukeen's Promenade :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Plus you have an advantage since they are coming to you. Trap time :D
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    They particularly like summoning in pit fiends and other demons in the middle of town.

Since they clearly have no regard for the lives of innocent civilians I see no problem with a LG party defending themselves. It's not like they give you an option to be put under arrest, they just attack
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    DOWN WITH THE COWLES

Go 'n get 'em!!!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    bbear said:

Also the Amn guards will help you

I think that pretty much puts to rest the lawful good objections. So, if you ask me about the Cowled jerks, their only purpose is to die by your hands!