Skip to content

Which Non-Recruitable NPCs Do You Wish Were Recruitable?

This is inspired by @booinyoureyes‌ very interesting thread, http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30485/which-bg1-minor-npc-would-you-have-liked-to-have-returned-in-bg2-joinable-or-otherwise/p1 , but the point of this thread is simply what NPCs do you wish you could recruit? From BG1 or 2.

My personal picks:

Brage: This poor captain of the guard who found himself a cursed sword and went on a berzerker rage through Nashkel is IDEAL for a good party, especially if he had his own quest line, helping him to redeem himself. The priest Nalin actually says that rather than executing him, he should instead find atonement. If you had a party reputation of 15+ (or whatever number you get the heroic title at) then I could easily see Nalin saying that he should join you, since you're a group of heroic adventurers with which Brage can do a great deal of good.

Firebead Elvenhair: Yeah yeah, this guy might be considered a little old for adventuring life, but gosh dangit there aren't enough old wizards in BG anyway! Besides, if you've ever fought him, you know he's no pushover, so for BG1 at least, he could be a handy party mage. I suppose he might join you because he knows you, as a service to Gorion, or something.

The Surgeon: Davaeorn's brother, this guy appears to be a mage, yet casts divine magic to heal you. A good cleric\mage dual could be a handy party member, and since you yourself want to deal with Davaeorn, it makes good sense that you might ask him to join you, once you have evidence to prove you're after Davaeorn. All in all, it could be an interesting character with ties to the main story. And he could have an awesome backstory and\or conversations, in which we learn his real name and more info about his youth and Davaeorn's past.

Those're my ideas. What can you guys come up with?

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    The Solaufein mod integrated an existing character into the party very elegantly. I think Garren Windspear's child could follow that model if he/she were added to the game. Same goes with Hendak or one of his fellow gladiators.
    Permidion Stark, according to eeKeeper, is not a thief! His class is labeled as "Innocent" and he's level 4. So lame!
    Though it is a good defense in court if he ever gets caught outside Thalantyr's place...

Silke is a level 10...10! bard. her stats are 11 15 9 14 12 17
    Anishai is a very good one. They put a lot into her character compared to Renal's other lackeys and it never really amounted to much. I'd prefer her as neutral Swashbuckler, Shadowdancer or even F/T though (already have a NE thief)
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    She doesn't strike me as a swashbuckler type, maybe a shadowdancer though? Even a skald for something different would be cool.
  • RewolfRewolf Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2014
    I always thought that you would be able to recruit Aoln when you meet him on the Coast way. Also would have liked the idea of having him joinable. Besides him I wish I could recruit:
    - Greywolf
    - Berrun Ghastkill (he knows Jaheira & Khalid already after all)
    - Phlydia
    - Zordral/Bentha (after choosing whether you help him executing her or not)
    - Reevor
    - Brage (for reasons mentioned before)
    - Obe and any other of the adventurers you are introduced to at the fighting tutorial.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Rewolf‌ You want to recruit the mayor of Nashkel? I'm all for unique choices, but that's just a little strange. How would you manage to make that work?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Tazok in BG2.
    @Rewolf‌ Huh. That's actually a pretty nice idea. +1 to you, my fine sir!
  • BlackLinxBlackLinx Member Posts: 668
    abacus said:

Saemon Haverian…. just so I could lead him, willingly, into a locked room with no cameras…. Nowhere left to run, shipmate…

Noober: for the same reasons!

See the topic the most annoying npc also: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30465/the-most-annoying-npc#latest
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2014
    Or Slythe and Krystin, after surrendering rather then dying. "Look, Krystin honey, it's the heroes of the Sword Coast, they're the real deal. You, CHARNAME, let us join thy cause."
    Post edited by Blackraven on
    edited March 2014
    Here's an obvious one no one seems to have thought of. (myself included, till now) Gorion! Your foster father wasn't chunked, (somehow...) and surely you could muster the gold to raise him! Besides, who doesn't want a high level mage on their side? Sure, it'd mess with the story, but it'd make for an interesting mod.
    Elrandir said:

Here's an obvious one no one seems to have thought of. (myself included, till now) Gorion! Your foster father wasn't chunked, (somehow...) and surely you could muster the gold to raise him! Besides, who doesn't want a high level mage on their side? Sure, it'd mess with the story, but it'd make for an interesting mod.

Could make him resurectable in TOB, that way he wouldn't be more powerful than the PC.

The Spectator Beholder (using my Sorcerer "Abberation" kit - less spell selection, more uses/day, to mimic beholder rays). He'd be lawful neutral or evil (basically, "the Kagain alignment") and just a very chilled, insightful companion, eager to explore and adventure after hovering over the same damn chest for so long.

Spectators are canonically lawful neutral, if I remember correctly.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Winsky Perrorate! Gee, if only dat ninja gramps would tutor us, as he did with Sarevok! Really, what became of him? Did he die, recover, or...

The prostitute carrying Balduran's Cloak. I never really wanted to chop her down into tiny bits, but the cloak you see... If she had been recruitable, you would peacefully get the cloak (i know about pickpocket and quest, but i never had the patience to do everything in Baldur's Gate City), plus a great source of fun and entertainment for all party members (hi hi hi)!

Razamith! For some obscure reason, i like that old mage.

The werewolf woman that mated with you... Damn, i got sad when she departed!

Aran Linvale! Reminded me of Johnny Depp and Captain Sparrow (hu hu)!

Damn, if only i was able to travel with THIS party...
  • CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    The ho-bag with Balduran's cloak is non-pickpocketable (one of the few tweaks they made that I was not happy about), all you need to do is charm her and have her walk up to Kristin, then lead Slythe away and initiate the battle. When Kristin casts Cloudkill you get the cloak with no rep loss.
  • CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    back on topic,

One(or both) of the Sashenseer brothers
    Hurgan
    Shandalar