Skip to content

Just a curious question about paladins

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
So I'm curious if you play as a paladin and you develop a really bad reputation as one what happens? Do you lose your paladin abilites or something like that?

Comments

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    usually it's with alignement change that you loose paladin status... i know allignement change is possible in planescape: Torment but don't remember if it is in BG
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Yes if you drop below I believe its 7 reputation and become a Fallen paladin, losing all your paladin abilities and just becoming a fighter with a different name. (If I'm not mistake you can still only specialize in weapons.) If you do the paladin stronghold quest, if you have become fallen then at the end of it your paladinhood will be restored. That's the only instance I know of in BG or BG2 where you can regain your paladinhood.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Very interesting...
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Dragonspear Yes, usually in Pen and Paper game, it takes a long period of atonement, the spell atonement and a special quest to regain Paladinhood.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    @LadyRhian You have to rescue a unicorn if I'm not mistaken
    @Wikkid_Suhn Not specifically. You have to do a quest of good deeds and behave in the most chivalrous, upstanding way (i.e. the most Lawful Good way). This may require abasement of yourself and putting others over you and not resorting to the easy way out of any situation. I am reminded of Lancelot riding on a cart instead of a horse (only peasants did that) in one Quest in the tales of King Arthur. Basically, I think the Atonement quest is a quest like that- It's meant to be difficult and test your commitment to the principles and actions of Lawful Good behavior.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    SPOILERS FOR SOA

The one place you have to be careful of losing your paladinship and never being able to reclaim it is during the fight with sarevok (only in SoA). My first play though was as a paladin kit, the inquisitor. If you get mad and take the evil path during the convo (the one that happens near the end of part SoA where he makes a cameo appearance), you will become fallen and there will be no redemption. Other then that part, so long as you play the part of a paladin, you'll have no troubles.
  • XavaineXavaine Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2012
    **EVEN MORE BG2 SPOILERS BUT EVERYONE HERE PLAYED BG2 ALREADY RIGHT?!!?!!**
    Bjjorick said:

SPOILERS FOR SOA

The one place you have to be careful of losing your paladinship and never being able to reclaim it is during the fight with sarevok (only in SoA). My first play though was as a paladin kit, the inquisitor. If you get mad and take the evil path during the convo (the one that happens near the end of part SoA where he makes a cameo appearance), you will become fallen and there will be no redemption. Other then that part, so long as you play the part of a paladin, you'll have no troubles.

Anyway, any of those Bhaal tear challenges can ruin Paladin status if an evil path is taken.

@xavaine i seem to recall the sarevok convo having a path to the good ending but sill changing your status to evil. It might have been a bug, but i recall that i got the good reward but was still evil. I'm quite sure of this. Will try to look it up when i get time but i'm rather lazy atm. :)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @LadyRhian In Chrétien de Troyes, Lancelot rides the cart (which is described as a kind of pillory in this story, to multiply the humiliation and is driven by a dwarf) after exhausting two horses to death. He isn't atoning for any crimes that we are aware of though, he merely holds his duties as a knight above his own honour.
    In Malory, he calls himself Le Chevalier mal fet, the knight who has trespassed; after being made mad by his self conflict and being tricked into sleeping with his own wife (Elaine) whom he thought was his mistress (Guinevere), living naked as a madman, like a beast, beaten by common folk and despised.

Even after returning to Camelot, he goes back to his old naughtiness, before being chased away upon discovery of his adultery.

I'm racking my brains trying to think of an Arthurian example of this kind of "atonement quest," but I can't, possibly due to poor memory, possibly due to the knights being flawed heroes. Even Gawain lies and tries to trick the Green Knight in the end of his tale, and carries the shame forever after.

I'll have to re-read Percival, I'm sure he makes up for a misdeed though that may have been made due to to his ignorance, he starts the book as a completely blank slate and his entire being is pretty much written out with the book.
  • LamorackLamorack Member Posts: 24
    Well the ending of Gawain and the Green Knight is a kind of atonement... if I remember rightly, the knights (not just Gawain) wear a green sash to remind themselves to be honest, and I think Gawain has a mark on his neck from the Green Knight's sword. A.E. Housman's sister, Clemence Housman, wrote a book called The Life of Sir Aglovale De Galis, which is basically about a fallen Paladin (or knight) regaining his moral virtue... he ultimately does it by forgiving his enemies, though it's really a life-long quest. There's also some examples in the medieval Welsh hagiographies, though in those cases the knights just have to repent for their behaviour rather than go on a quest.

I think Launcelot in Malory at least usually tries to redeem himself by fighting in tournaments, which kind of works except he has to disguise himself so that it's a fair fight (and people don't let him win because of his reputation), and also it doesn't really get to the heart of the moral problems that Launcelot has re: Guinevere. This is Housman's point -- in her version, the whole system of honour is flawed because it's based on fighting prowess rather than moral virtue. So Aglovale only redeems himself by helping his enemies instead of fighting them... there's a sort of similar thing in one of the BG2 dream sequences when you have to heal a monster in order to defeat it. Not sure if that's a Paladin specific quest or not.

Back to BG: I like the ideal of a fallen Paladin from an RP perspective, especially one who redeems him or herself eventually. I also like the idea of an evil Paladin, who gets new powers, but I think that's sort of along the lines of the new Blackguard kit?

I wish alignment was more flexible in BG as I've heard it is in PST. Just being able to alter your alignment more often would be cool.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    At least in PnP if you fall as a paladin you either have a long, long way to redemption ahead of you.. or you can get in contact with the evil powers that be, and trade in your paladin levels for blackguard levels..

With the blackguard kit coming for BGEE.. it could be pretty cool if they implemented that feature in BGEE as well.
    lol, @kharas that's what i was thinking, if you fall as a paladin, would be nice if you could make the choice of redemption (and make it hard) or falling all the way (as easy as slaughtering a few innocents)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Lamorack Healing the demon is in the Unseeing eye quest.
    I suppose Gawain is humbled as a lesson. I think I remember the tournament you are talking about, where Lancelot fights incognito in red armour, releasing all his prisoners, being generally awesome. The queen wants to see if he is really Lancelot so tells him to fight badly, which he promptly does.

I must admit though, I find the idea of courtly love fascinating, Aglovale sounds interesting. I read Cliges some time ago which at the time I thought was awful wet rubbish, though have since read that it was a satire of courtly romances, so it must have gone over my head.
    LadyRhian said:

@Wikkid_Suhn Not specifically. You have to do a quest of good deeds and behave in the most chivalrous, upstanding way (i.e. the most Lawful Good way). This may require abasement of yourself and putting others over you and not resorting to the easy way out of any situation.

Yeah, like rescuing a unicorn!

As far as redemption arcs go, I believe the Dragonlance character Dhamon Grimwulf goes through a badass phase before redeeming himself. Of course he was a Knight of Takhisis to begin with... (still don't like that whole concept)
    @Wikkid_Suhn There was an article in one of the Dragon Magazines where they came up with Paladin-y concepts for all the other alignments. CE was Anti-Paladin (already existed), and they came up with a ton of other "classes", each with its own specific name. NG was Myrikhan, CG was Garath, LN was Lyan, TN was Paramander, CN was Fantra, LE was Illrigger and NE was Arrikhan. No idea where they got the names from. And their stats are... very weird. NG gets d6+3 for hit points at each level, CG gets d8, LN d12, TN d8+1, CN d10, LE d10, NE d8+1. And it only gets stranger from there...
    @LadyRhian I have not read the article myself, and I would be curious to know why they did that. Maybe for fun? The names must have have some meaning to them... maybe a historical reference. The HP stats seem pretty arbitrary, but maybe if we knew the background of each class it would make more sesnse.

I am not a fan of symmetry for the sake of symmetry. Just because there are paladins does not mean there should be equally devoted knights for every alignment. It takes away from the uniqueness of the thing you're emulating. This is also why I am not a fan of the Knights of Takhisis. Knights of the Death Lily? Come on! It cheapens the whole Solamnic Knight structure.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited August 2012
    Eh, personally I never liked how only the Good alignment had Paladins. It would make sense for the Neutral and Evil gods to also have similar champions (they wouldn't need to be called Paladins).

At least 3E fixed Rangers to allow them to be any alignment. That was another one that didn't make much sense since Rangers were mostly woodsman.
    @wikkid_suhn I gotta agree with you completely on that, i mean a night of true neutral would be a knight of.......leaving things alone? A knight of chatoic evil would just walk around kicking puppies and slaughtering innocents for no reason? It just doesn't work as well.

@Tenthalas well, for neutral, you've got druids, as they try to balance *nature*, but everything is part of nature. For evil, you've got politicians, lawyers, and merchants, monsters, and many many others things that are typically always evil. Things that enjoy hurting/killing/making laws/suing.

I know that you don't get to lay any of those evil things i mentioned, but you have to have someone to fight. Also, what was that beast in 2nd edition that only awoke every century or so, could easily kill you, and went around eating everything in it's path until it was full and slept for another century or so? I really wish that creature could be added as a side quest in ToB for your uber high level party. And make it next to impossible to kill, just for the fun of it. :)
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Pen and Paper and a logical look at Paladins from various Dragon Magazine articles it is explained...As a Paladin you have a special connection and devotion to the Deity that lends you your paladin abilities, it is because the two of you are close you have the abilities, if you reject your patron, if you renounce your faith you will no longer be a Paladin but merely a sinner with no special abilities....only through certain atonements special deeds, quests and re-dedication to the values and principles of your patron do you regain your special favored place and powers. In actuality I always saw Elminster and the other Chosen of Mystra as being Paladins of Mystra though not the normal sword swinging, plate mailed variety.
    true, but the problem with that is it seems the pnp and even crpg paladins more closely follow tradition and duty rather then faithful service to their god. IRL, that leads to problems. But the god they follow is on of honor and duty, no?

I think a paladin is just a cleric that is much less devout to the god, and more focused on acting pious. I still enjoy playing them, but the way i play them, i'm quite lawful good, but would be cast out of the order fast. :) just my 2 cents.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292

I am not a fan of symmetry for the sake of symmetry. Just because there are paladins does not mean there should be equally devoted knights for every alignment. It takes away from the uniqueness of the thing you're emulating. This is also why I am not a fan of the Knights of Takhisis. Knights of the Death Lily? Come on! It cheapens the whole Solamnic Knight structure.

Considering they were created in story as a way to counter the KoS it makes perfect sense. Many Armies through history have come up against a tactic and turned it against their opponents.
    @Jolanthus Good point. I would say, however, that adopting an opponent's code of behavior is not something that societies throughout history have done. The creation of the order of Dark Knights is a little different than turning an opponent's combat strategy upon them. To me the rationale was "Evil can be honorable while having a different morality than Good." That's just too black/white in my opinion.

• immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    true, but the problem with that is it seems the pnp and even crpg paladins more closely follow tradition and duty rather then faithful service to their god. IRL, that leads to problems. But the god they follow is on of honor and duty, no?

I think a paladin is just a cleric that is much less devout to the god, and more focused on acting pious. I still enjoy playing them, but the way i play them, i'm quite lawful good, but would be cast out of the order fast. :) just my 2 cents.
    Gotta Disagree with you there buddy, Paladins are every bit as devout as the clerics but they serve their lords in different ways..they have different jobs. And not every Paladin servers a lord of Justice and goodness....there are evil paladins and anti-paladins and Paladins f Lawful good and Id imagine there were Similar faithful for the Lords of Chaos good and evil....they all need hands in the m ortal realm to do their bidding.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    @wikkid_suhn I understand what you're getting at but I must have came to a different outlook on the Knights of Takhisis. I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one (And that wouldn't be very far). They would follow the letter of the law\contract\bond, not necessarily the spirit in which it was made. Lawful doesn't mean honourable, they just use the law to their advantage.

For the KoT, they found the organised structure of how the KoS worked to keep things in line. It should mean that their own armies wont decend into chaos at the drop of a hat.
    Bjjorick said:

@wikkid_suhn I gotta agree with you completely on that, i mean a night of true neutral would be a knight of.......leaving things alone? A knight of chatoic evil would just walk around kicking puppies and slaughtering innocents for no reason? It just doesn't work as well.

@Tenthalas well, for neutral, you've got druids, as they try to balance *nature*, but everything is part of nature. For evil, you've got politicians, lawyers, and merchants, monsters, and many many others things that are typically always evil. Things that enjoy hurting/killing/making laws/suing.

I know that you don't get to lay any of those evil things i mentioned, but you have to have someone to fight. Also, what was that beast in 2nd edition that only awoke every century or so, could easily kill you, and went around eating everything in it's path until it was full and slept for another century or so? I really wish that creature could be added as a side quest in ToB for your uber high level party. And make it next to impossible to kill, just for the fun of it. :)

I believe your referring to the tarrasque. Big horned, bigger than the biggest dragon man-eating son of a bitch right?

@xlegionx yep i believe so. would love to have a side quest fight with one of those in one of the infinity engine games, but guess will never happen.

On a side note, what happened to the thread where you and me were insulting each other. Dreadknights /black guards vs paladins :) i was enjoying that one greatly.
    Bjjorick said:

@xlegionx yep i believe so. would love to have a side quest fight with one of those in one of the infinity engine games, but guess will never happen.

On a side note, what happened to the thread where you and me were insulting each other. Dreadknights /black guards vs paladins :) i was enjoying that one greatly.

Oh yeah me too. Lets get back to that.

hehe sweet :)
    @Jolanthus You are correct about lawful not necessarily meaning honorable. But in the Dragonlance books, the Knights of Takhisis were conceived of as being lawful and honorable. I do enjoy that in Jean Rabe's novels, The Dark Knights can't really make this work, as their own personal motives outweigh their consideration of others. In fact I just read a passage where the KoT slaughter an ogre village, and the knights were like "Ehhhh, we don't normally like to slaughter the women and children, but if they get in our way oh wells."