Skip to content

The final battle with Irenicus is dumb.

He's like a troll, in that if you keep hitting him when he gets near death, his script won't fire so he just keeps standing there getting hit like an idiot. If you then stop hitting him, his demons then explode in fireballs instead of dying like regular creatures. This wouldn't be so bad except.. if one of those fireballs happens to kill your companions, they drop all their stuff.

They get revived at the end of it but all their stuff stays in hell. Are you kidding me? Usually after one of my weaker party members dies a couple of times, I end up saying screw it and just CTRL+Y the battle.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Um, if you don't like the A.I., then get an A.I. mod like scs. The game ai is not great, that's the way it is. If you think it's to easy, then level up more and turn the difficulty down. Not sure what your saying here.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Most likely he lost a buncha stuff in hell and is venting. Don't worry dude, heres what you do. Grab a copy of EE-keeper, find an older save, transfer items from that save to your current one, all problems solved forever. This is what I did in BG when half my party ran off due to me getting 20 rep and took my stuff with them. Seriously Shar-teel. That was *my* bug monster plate.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited March 2014
    Wait, are his demons Balors? Because Balors by lore explode on death in a flash of light and fire, that damages anything within a radius.

It's their way to "get the last laugh" so to speak.
  • CLsdlt80CLsdlt80 Member Posts: 82
    Last time I fought against Jon it went quite smooth... no mods:
    First step -party buffs on the spot: protection from fear, haste, defensive harmony. Run south in different directions. Second step -individual buffs: strength potions to the front liners, potions of invulnerability. Then comes True Sight... fight the demons, which separate their lines when you run in different directions. Jon starts moving south, get's his illusions dispelled by True Sight, one demon at least dead by this point... start dispelling Jon's protections: the spell shields and combat shields, using the ones that lower magic resistance... summon monsters in front of Jon with wand, start attacking from a distance with arrows, Jon's contingencies start shooting... Jon's attack spells directed towards my summons or one party member (the closest at that moment is my sniper, which is equipped with Arrows of Dispelling) since all the lines are separated... same strategy... Time Stop, disable protections, attack from a distance. Demons are dead now, assault Jon directly: Horrid Wilting, summons and front liners beat Jon to a bloody pulp. Game over Jon... Party... 2 front-liners: main Jaheira, support Keldorn. Sniper and support front line: Valygar. Arcane: Imoen, Neera and PC (Invoker).
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212

Most likely he lost a buncha stuff in hell and is venting. Don't worry dude, heres what you do. Grab a copy of EE-keeper, find an older save, transfer items from that save to your current one, all problems solved forever. This is what I did in BG when half my party ran off due to me getting 20 rep and took my stuff with them. Seriously Shar-teel. That was *my* bug monster plate.

lol, yeah I was just venting :)

@meagloth I already have SCS installed, it's a problem with the game engine that he doesn't die when he should, not anything to do with AI. Like trolls, if you damage them too fast they can't fall down.

I reloaded and did the battle again after the first post and did it easily, still got a bit damaged by the dead balors but not enough to kill anyone. Viconia seems to take damage from the explosion even though she has >100% fire res and >85% magic res :/

Ruby ray to strip his SI: abjuration, then breach, then just keep breaching him whenever he puts pfmw back up. A couple of improved hasted fighters will take him down fast. I killed the glabrezu's but you can basically ignore the demons anyway.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @vangoat oh, sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you where comlaining about the AI. When you said troll I thought you where complaining. My bad.