Skip to content

'ullo, all!

'ullo, all! I'm The Giant Dwarf.

I purchased Baldur's Gate I and II off the Apple App Store a few weeks ago and the games have monopolized a lot of my time since. I'm told II is considered one of the best RPGs of all time but so far I'm absolutely loving the first one and can't wait to play through it a second time.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. Drinks are on me at The Friendly Arm Inn.

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited March 2014
    Good to meet a fine sod such as yourself! I'll have a Bitter Black Ale. Thankee!

Edit: Funny, I've always liked that line when a commoner says it, but I just looked up the meaning :O
    No offense!!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    ...Giant Dwarf? You should get those +4 damage from the Hammer+1,+4 vs Giant Humanoids, since it gives the damage to Giants that use it to every single other creature because of a bug (anyway it was fixed by CamDawg's fix pack). I'm joking, but yours is a nice username. @Metalloman‌ loves dwarves and I also like them much (not as I like Elves anyway).
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    Hi,

Seems we got addicted about the same time! How are you finding it on your Mac? I find the interface with a MM a bit of a strain but it's well worth it.

A couple of tips if you want them -

1. You can export/import your character and it keeps most of the stuff you have on your body and in your inventory. This means you have speed up game play (and buff your XP) by starting a new game once you have discovered the error of your ways!

2. Coupled with 1 above, If you have boots of speed, you get around a LOT faster, they are great if you want to zap thorough parts you have already explored at high speed. e.g. When starting again for the 10th time, you probably want to get the initial part over with quickly.

3. Turning the AI off stops NPCs getting impatient and buggering off just when you need them!

4. Coupled with 1 above, If you use the CLUAConsole Commands you can create a monster (in a test game) to experiment with Spells, Weapons, Armour, etc. This was the only way I've found to perfect the Control Lightning bolt spell/wand. It's cool to create a monster, put a hold on them (or not) and then experiment with the ranges of different weapons etc.

Anyway, just a couple of things I found useful!

All the Best
    Dave

• NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited March 2014
    JLee said:

Good to meet a fine sod such as yourself! I'll have a Bitter Black Ale. Thankee!

Edit: Funny, I've always liked that line when a commoner says it, but I just looked up the meaning :O
    No offense!!

Thats nothing. Never, ever, look up the meaning behind trollops and plugtails. I have never been able to look at Imoen the same way since.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

3. Turning the AI off stops NPCs getting impatient and buggering off just when you need them!

Actually, turning the AI off just turns the AI off, that means that no one will follow the silly scripts that you can choose in Record->Customize->Script and will save you trouble. Script and AI On is helpful to slays gribberings when you are very high level and basically immune to everything they can do.
  • TheGiantDwarfTheGiantDwarf Member Posts: 9

Anyway, just a couple of things I found useful!

Thanks for the tips, Dave!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Oh, hehe. Ive come close to greeting people with the sod remark. Looked it up, now I'm glad I stuck a dramatic "I be thalantyr, mighty Mage of beregost!" :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited March 2014
    Welcome to the forum!
    Post edited by elminster on
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    As you're using a Mac too, can I ask, did you buy the game from the Mac App Store? If so, how are you getting around the update issues? I'm at a loss at to know which is the latest version and how to update my App! One of the main reasons for buying via the Mac App Store, is the easy update process which Beamdog seem to totally ignore.
  • Princess_SarahPrincess_Sarah Member Posts: 39
    @TheGiantDwarf‌ a hearty welcome to you! it is lovely to see another new face alongside mine.

@JLee‌ , @Necomancer‌ and @meagloth‌ is it 'sod' the commoners keep saying!? I alway thought they were saying 'sot' which is probably no less insulting - just for different reasons. Either way I always feel mocked by commoners that say it lol. And @Necomancer‌ yes I have no idea what in the hell kind of story Imoen wants to hear but probably best not to ask!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited March 2014

@TheGiantDwarf‌ a hearty welcome to you! it is lovely to see another new face alongside mine.

@JLee‌ , @Necomancer‌ and @meagloth‌ is it 'sod' the commoners keep saying!? I alway thought they were saying 'sot' which is probably no less insulting - just for different reasons. Either way I always feel mocked by commoners that say it lol. And @Necomancer‌ yes I have no idea what in the hell kind of story Imoen wants to hear but probably best not to ask!

@Princess_Sarah‌
    Yes, if you feel insulted then maybe play an evil party ;)
    And... Yea.... Don't ask.
  • Princess_SarahPrincess_Sarah Member Posts: 39
    @meagloth‌ don't you worry when I do an evil play through those commoners have it coming!

I am curious as to what they are saying though - I will have to listen very closely and see if I can figure out exactly what they are calling me! (you know before I go on a crazed rampage - just in case!)
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited March 2014
    @Princess_Sarah Lets just say its likely Imoen snuck into the part of Candlekeep that houses the books only dwarves over the age of 30+ are allowed to read.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    good evening and welcome, Mr Giant Dwarf, you lovable oxymoron, you. May your time in the Gate be fruitful and lovely.

as a side note, as to what those pesky commoners actually greet you with, i prefer to think it's "a fine sort" they're actually calling me. I can thus hold my head high in blissful ignorance as they snigger behind my back....