Skip to content

Belt of Antipode should have been cursed and other shennanigans

It is really silly that they made an item that annuls an entire enemy (Winter Wolf). It should at least have been cursed (since Remove Curse is an expansive luxury in early BG) and its handicap is a highly risky endeavor (just have many time have you encountered a Winter Wolf along with a Fire Elemental or a Fireball slinging mage.)

This is about as bad as the Shield of Cheese (which I remove by the SCS option from the game).

It really shouldn't be too difficult to balance some of these items with clever handicaps:
- Shield of Cheese : every time it block a ray you take a random -2 STAT damage for one day
- Staff of Magi : remove invisibility (already in SCS) OR use up random memorized spell for every use

And for cursed items:
- Brage's +3 Cursed Sword : make berserk a 10% per hit chance AND/OR random +1 STAT increase for one day for every killed enemy

etc.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Ygramul said:

And for cursed items:
    - Brage's +3 Cursed Sword : make berserk a 10% per hit chance AND/OR random +1 STAT increase for one day for every killed enemy.

Just make it increase STR, make it black and rename it Stormbringer.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    While I can get your idea about it being cursed I can't really agree with it. It would be alot of new player's first magic belt and making it have such a crippling effect is kinda like flicking the player off and calling their mother a hamster.

As it is the first cursed item you're likely to come across is the belt of gender change, wich has no mechanical drawbacks and is frikkin' hilarious.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    I really don't have a problem with how the Belt of Antipode works. You can get the same if you buy a Protection From Cold scroll and Potion of Cold Resistance from High Hedge.

Personally I normally sell it.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    The problem with belt of Antipode is that there are too few cold attacks. It's not really that much of a gamble to use it. If it would have been Electricity / Fire it would have been completely different because in mage fights it's actually a gamble to use it or not.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2014
    With it you can solo winter wolves for quick xp and gold. No threat whatsoever. Kobold commandos will be a pain, though, I mean more than they usually are. (Double fire damage from flaming arrows:major ouchies)
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    That's the bloody point: without it being cursed, you never have to worry about the fire damage handicap.

It's exactly like the Shield of Balduran against Beholders: it annuls the entire threat of one enemy. Then you remove it and you're golden until the next Winter Wolf.

Potions & scrolls are expensive. You cannot afford paying several hundred gold for each Winter Wolf you come across.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    Ygramul said:

That's the bloody point: without it being cursed, you never have to worry about the fire damage handicap.

It's exactly like the Shield of Balduran against Beholders: it annuls the entire threat of one enemy. Then you remove it and you're golden until the next Winter Wolf.

Potions & scrolls are expensive. You cannot afford paying several hundred gold for each Winter Wolf you come across.

Maybe not but unless you are going out of your way to hunt winter wolves between the potion/scroll and the 2nd level priest spell you should have enough to (if nothing else) substantially cut down the threat you'll likely face. Even considering the differences in the games the threat of a winter wolf is pretty minimal compared to beholders because beholders tend to appear in groups (with Gauths) and because a winter wolf will rarely hit when you are up close on it.

Also it only annuls the threat for one of your characters. If you want to take advantage of the 100% cold resistance then go right ahead but its not like it protects all your party members from their attacks.

Besides, it being cursed wouldn't do anything because you can just hunt all the winter wolves you want (while cursed) and then get the curse removed in Nashkel. Its not like you'll encounter much in the way of fire attacks until the Nashkel mines.
    edited March 2014
    @elminster‌ unless you click certain tombstone twice ;)
    Winter wolves aren't even that hard to begin with. Any fighter with a large shield can stand and take the shots without having to worry about dying. At least the Shield of Balduran is removing the threat of a very powerful enemy. The belt of Antipode is pretty much a flavor item.
    SionIV said:

Winter wolves aren't even that hard to begin with. Any fighter with a large shield can stand and take the shots without having to worry about dying. At least the Shield of Balduran is removing the threat of a very powerful enemy. The belt of Antipode is pretty much a flavor item.

But it makes you completely immune against their ranged attack, so if you have a ranged weapon you can kill it without any kind of problems.
    SionIV said:

But it makes you completely immune against their ranged attack, so if you have a ranged weapon you can kill it without any kind of problems.
    edited March 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

SionIV said:

So does having a fighter in full plate and large shield, you're not getting hit by that wolf while having that kind of AC.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited March 2014
    Ygramul said:

It really shouldn't be too difficult to balance some of these items with clever handicaps:
    - Shield of Cheese : every time it block a ray you take a random -2 STAT damage for one day
    - Staff of Magi : remove invisibility (already in SCS) OR use up random memorized spell for every use

I'm sorry, are you attempting to reduce unbalanced items? Or make them so cripplingly bad that people will never use them?

In any given battle with Beholders, Shield of Cheese will absorb, oh let's say 8-12 rays. This is VERY conservative in my experience, but let's let it roll for the moment. At 12 rays, or a grand total of -24 STAT points, you potentially just wiped out a character. An unlucky set of rolls has reduced STR such that the character can't move. A different roll has killed the character due to CON being reduced to ZERO, or INT with the same effect (ala mind flayer). Even spread out, you potentially destroy armor class and ability to effectively do damage in combat, for the ENTIRE DAY. Heck, even just one or two lucky rolls eliminates Dorn or Minsc's "Main" form of attack.

And that's just ONE battle. There are places where you'd have to face potentially dozens of the monsters. In other words, it becomes COMPLETELY useless instead of "On par" with similar magic items.

NO one would ever use the shield because every single hit could potentially disable a character in ways that the rays themselves wouldn't be as deadly. And every battle would be guaranteed to neuter a minimum of one character. I'd rather take my chances with saving throws.

Same with Staff of Magi.

Mage: I use Staff of Magi to become invisible.

DM(Game): Ok, you randomly lose...... Time Stop.

Mage: Say What?!?

And if you limit it to 1-3 level spells, a player is almost always going to merely pick invisibility instead.

either scenario doesn't level the playing ground, they make the cost far more costly than the value of the magic.

I get that you don't like these items. But let's be reasonable about the ways to "Limit" rather than "eliminate" their usefulness.
    Just turn the Shield of Balduran into a quest reward. You'll have to sacrifice 1-2 stat points (STR, DEX, CON, WIS or INT) to get it. Then the question is if it's worth sacrificing those points for the ability to breeze through two hard fights (Underdark, Unseeing Eye).

Staff of Magi really isn't that OP. Just change it so that it gives you Improved Invisibility once a day instead of the permanent thing.
    elminster said:

Or just leave these items (Beholder's Shield and Staff of the Magi) as they are.

I would remove the Beholder's shield, SCS does something like this if i remember right. I don't care about the Staff of the Magi because you'll have to go through a very frustrating fight to get it, and it really isn't that good.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I don't see the need to remove either. If you think it is over-powered, don't use it. Simple.

If someone wanted to nerf them such that they weren't as OP, simply allow the shield to give the player a second saving throw. By that time, your saves should be solid enough such that if you miss the first throw, you are extremely likely to make the second, but not guaranteed. Hence, it is still useful, but not a totally beholder proof. Alternately, it could only work on your current target and not all beholders, you know, like a SHIELD would do?

Staff of Magi? Turning the invisibility into charges or limited uses per day would make it still useful without totally borking it.

Simple. But again, as they are, if you don't like them, don't use them.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110

I don't see the need to remove either. If you think it is over-powered, don't use it. Simple.

An easy fix for a non-problem.

I used to think the way the OP did until I read a post from someone, somewhere, who said (paraphrasing), "single player games are fun because they can be broken." I would add, "...with exploration, cleverness, experience, and knowledge."

BG2 (and many other fine games) are very, very difficult for most brand new players. Only after many hours of playing, several play-throughs, much forum and FAQ reading, and file diving, is the game "too easy." Let new players experience and play and have fun with the same game that we all love just as we did. Challenges and mods are always waiting to give us something new.