Skip to content

References

Hey, I noticed that the names of the lich Von Goethe and Marlowe are a reference to the authors of two different versions of "Faust" (to be honest i didn't read the plays but I was aware of their existence). Just wondering what other references (literary or pop-cultural in general) are hidden in the games, if any.

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Hi I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, this is my other brother Darryl...

Nothing but the highest of literary standards!
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    You know, I was playing Icewind Dale recently and I found two references among the books of the Eldath worshippers (cough).

One was the book about two Kara-Tur monks: one carries a woman across a river despite being prohibited from touching women. I'm sure I've heard the parable before, possibly from some Buddhist text.

There's also the "Tending Ivy" book, which seems to be rife with innuendo, but also mentions "some fool on the hill", which I think is a reference to the Beatles song "The Fool on the Hill".

Wouldn't that be a great quiz question? Where in the infinity engine games is there a Beatles reference?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @KeaponLaffin5 pointed this one out a few weeks ago.

King Gramm at one point says "Cidrick! Cidrick! You bumbling bird, where are you?"

If this isn't a reference to the King's Quest series King Graham and Cedric (the owl) I'd be very surprised.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    There's a famous photo of Elvis Presley at the Five Flagons Inn.
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    Garrick is a proper bard. He quotes Shakespeare ("Once more unto the breach dear friends!" - from "Henry V"), William Congreve ("Music has charms to soothe a savage breast" - "The Mourning Bride"), Joyce Kilmer ("I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree" - the poem "Trees") and G. K. Chesterton ("A yawn is a silent shout"), but also references... "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" ("Brave brave Sir Garrick, Sir Garrick led the way. Brave brave Sir Garrick, Sir Garrick ran away"). There's probably many more, being a reference junkie I immediately recognized Shakespeare and Monty Python, then hunted down the rest. It's absolutely amazing that the writers made an effort to make him speak all those lines :]
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Being a script junkie, I caught the Congreve reference right away. For that alone, Garrick has a place in my heart.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    edited April 2014
    atcDave said:

Hi I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, this is my other brother Darryl...

Nothing but the highest of literary standards!

"Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"
    "AGAIN?"
    "Nothing up my sleeve..."
    *ROAR*
    "No doubt about it, I need to get me a new hat!"

Also, in The Adventurer's Mart there are paintings along the back wall which are references to the DND cartoon from the 80's.
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    edited April 2014
    It ain't Shakespeare, but . . . get me out of this HELL HOLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9aThIovMA
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    Monty Python alert.