Skip to content

Mac Download on Steam

redmeatredmeat Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in New Members Welcome Area
Hello,

I'm using Windows 7, but my brother uses a Mac. A colleague recommended BG2 as a good coop / multi-player RPG. We both already use Steam due mainly to Portal 2. However, I can't see a Mac client for BG2 on Steam. Yet, the main BG2 site states a Mac version is available on Beamdog. Why is it not available on Steam?

Edited to add: Are there any known issues playing coop / multi-player across Steam and Beamdog clients?

Best,
Red
Post edited by redmeat on

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2014
    Both Steam and Beamdog players uses Beamdog servers when you play multiplayer, and yes it is mutually compatible. My multiplayer group has 5 people, as far as I am aware, we have 2 Steam users and 3 Beamdog users.

However, I don't know if it is still an issue, but certainly when my group first started a few months ago, we had a problem with connection when there's more than 2 or 3 players, so we ended up using Hamachi rather than the official Beamdog server.

If you are only playing with your brother, then Beamdog will be fine. I played a two-player game with a friend too, where I used Steam and he used Beamdog, and we had a stable connection via the Beamdog server.

By the way, if you both haven't played the BG games before, I strongly recommend that you start with BG 1 and play through the saga in single player first.