Skip to content

I am stuck at the east edge of the first wilderness map. Cant move east. Why?

I am using an ipad 2, enhanced version of B.G. I’m stuck on the way from candlekeep to beregost.
I’ve searched the forum for hints but found nothing to help me yet. I came out of candlekeep until I reached the east edge of the first wilderness map. I cannot go further east. I also traveled north and south and reached edges i cannot pass.
The global map shows a lot more area. In the game, or on the local map, if I tap at the edge, I see a little wheel. When I tap that wheel, the display changes to the global map. I tried zooming in; no change.
How do I journey to beregost, or to anywhere?
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Actually everything sounds right. When you tap the wheel and bring up the world map, isn't there an area east of you you can click?
  • BaldursMateBaldursMate Member Posts: 4
    Enqenq, I got it. When I click on the wheel and jump to the global map, I must tap something that is purple. Nothing else will get a response. Tapping a purple location either takes me there, or else it takes me to a different map and a new confrontation. Ive played a lot of rpg games and this mode of travel strikes me as weird. Why not just let me travel from point A to point B? And where, in the tutorial, did they explain this mode of travel.? Anyway, I am okay for now. Thanks!
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited March 2014
    I don't know exactly how it looks on iPad. Anyway I'm glad it solved itself. Haven't done the tutorial so I can't say. Maybe the method is weird, but the game is like 15? 20? years old, and EE didn't change things like that.

Few things you might wanna know about the travel method though. Firstly you need to discover areas or have them marked on your map, usually by questgivers. To discover an area you need to use the right exit from another area. Like the area you went to now, if you go north you'll discover the Friendly Arm Inn, south for Beregost, although those might already be marked on your map. Once you have visited a location once you can directly walk there by bringing up that "travel wheel" on any other outdoor map. edit: But for the first visit you must access it from an adjacent location by using the appropriate exit, even if you already have the location marked.

To be certain you find all areas, try exiting each area you visit in every direction, except of course the one you came from. See if something new pops up :)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @BaldursMate - glad you got it working.

The reason it is the way it is, is because they wanted you to be able to select your destination and not merely move on to the "Next map" in a train sort of way. Once you unlock a few more maps, you will be able to select your destination regardless of your starting point. If you are in Friendly Arm Inn and want to travel directly to Nashkal, you will have that option.

I've seen other games do this exact thing. And I've seen them where you are merely moved onward in a linear sort of line. I like the BG way better. Means more freedom for the player.

Welcome to the world of BG. Hope you enjoy and stay for a long time.