Skip to content

Realistic Drizzt?

HooHoo Member Posts: 128
Hello, I'd like to talk about Drizzt...

I'm a fan of Drizzt, but I've been barely satisfied with Drizzt in Baldur's Gate because he was not realistic, that is, he didn't follow D&D stats.

Why don't you restore his own equipments such as Bracers of Blinding Strike and Onyx Panther (Guenhwyvar!), spells, innate abilities, and so on? Haha.

This would make Drizzt to be more realistic and give more interesting challenge against Drizzt. No?

Current Free-hasted Drizzt seems not to be reasonable at all to me... Mmm...

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Is he normally immune to magic and has SUPER saving throws, as well as an insane THAC0 and AC? XD

Truly, if they just removed his immunity to magic, he would be toast to most characters. 3-4 Vampiric touches and he's dead basically >.<
  • HooHoo Member Posts: 128
    edited August 2012
    Haha, yes. I think so... But I just wanted to see his Guenhwyvar and his intelligent fighting strategies that use potions/spells/etc. instead of stalking and slashing my characters with scary and annoying stats.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, Darkness Globes aren't in the game (and I'm not sure how these could be implemented). Faerie Fire should be doable though.

I don't remember Drizzt using potions in the novels (one of the good things about how he's written).
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Well according to drow lore their spell resistance disappears after being on the surface for a significant amount of time which makes him having spell resistance in the first place out of place. Not to mention I don't think he had the bracers of blinding strike at the time.

Now things that would be nice to change would be removing his spell resistance, fixing his avatar to allow for correct equipment slots to not crash the game (putting anything in his offhand or other slots as he has a sword helmet due to this bug.) and adding the Onyx Panther figurine into his inventory.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    He didn't wear the Bracers of Blinding Strike on his wrists because they make his hands move too fast for him to fight effectively. He wore them on his ankles instead, that's why he wears boots of speed in the game.
    edited August 2012
    @Schneidend To be fair he does occasionally fight big enemies and when he does he has his party, panther, and many times is severely wounded after the fight.
  • KompiKompi Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012
    It would be great to make him much stronger. Why ? If you fight him, all you need is almost any party with ranged weapons and wand of summoning. Summon - shoot - summon - shoot. One of the easiest fights in original baldurs gate. And if you do not want to kill him for your reasons (reputation etc.), taking two potions and you can steal both swords from him with average thief while fighting.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Kompi said:

And if you do not want to kill him for your reasons (reputation etc.), taking two potions and you can steal both swords from him with average thief while fighting.

You can't pickpocket hostile targets can you?
    edited August 2012
    @kompi Cheesing the poor AI does not necessarily make him weak and stealing from him is due to I believe the buggy avatar he has with poor item placement in his inventory.
  • KompiKompi Member Posts: 5
    You cant pickpocket him if hostile, but you have plenty of time for that in "friendly" mode while he is butchering all those gnolls with your "help" you promised.
    Still this fight was epic and one of best moments in BG1 and 2 and I really enjoyed it. I remember using cheats only for this reason, to import him to many locations with drizztattacks - to prove how shitty my group was (in like 20 seconds were bodyparts everywhere :) ).
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

@Schneidend To be fair he does occasionally fight big enemies and when he does he has his party, panther, and many times is severely wounded after the fight.

Indeed, that would be the other 10%.

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Schneidend Yes but think about how easy your character (if its a ranger/fighter/paladin/monk/barb or multiclass of those) with magical equipment tears through basic enemies like gnolls, goblins, orcs (which is most of the fodder that drizzt faces. In AD&D he was a 15th lvl ranger, with +4 chain mail, +3 scimitar in Icingdeath and +5 defender in twinkle)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I dunno. I never killed Drizzt. Just call me Lawful Good.
    @LadyRhian you aren't the only one. I never killed him either. Of course I never went and got Khalid/Jaheria or Minsc/Dynaheir killed or missing so that I could use one and not the other. I guess we're just odd.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Dragonspear ::Sigh.:: There's a reason why so few people are LG...
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    He always obliterated my party but being a fanatic of RA Salvatores books I didn't mind.
    @LadyRhian I don't think I'm quite lawful good. I'm definitely on the border between Lawful Good and Neutral Good, but overall leaning more towards Lawful. Must be a side affect of one parent being a former lawyer.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2012
    I didn't actually know who Drizzt was the first time I killed him; after reading up on him, I was rather amused that the great enemy of the drow matriarchs was chopped to pieces by a party of women. :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Hoo said:

Haha, yes. I think so... But I just wanted to see his Guenhwyvar and his intelligent fighting strategies that use potions/spells/etc. instead of stalking and slashing my characters with scary and annoying stats.

Drizzt does not drink potions according to the books.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

@Schneidend Yes but think about how easy your character (if its a ranger/fighter/paladin/monk/barb or multiclass of those) with magical equipment tears through basic enemies like gnolls, goblins, orcs (which is most of the fodder that drizzt faces. In AD&D he was a 15th lvl ranger, with +4 chain mail, +3 scimitar in Icingdeath and +5 defender in twinkle)

Yeah, I get that. I wasn't criticizing it. I like that you can really feel powerful in these games. I was just arguing that Drizzt wasn't some kind of master strategist. He's good at fighting and guerilla tactics. He's a commando, not a general.
    No he's tactically sound individually, especially when he embraces "The Hunter", but in a matter of party tactics he's never been portrayed as having anything greater than regular drow tactics. Plus the other problem he runs into is his childhood tactics also involve other people moving as quietly as him on top of mages and clerics. Catti-Brie was barely a mage before they killed her off and other than that they've only ever had I think Cadderly with him once as a party member. Therefore most of their tactics had to be simplified down to distractions or following the charging dwarf (I miss Bruenor).
    @djimmy He does drink potions several times.
    @Dragonspear

Actually, he has done battle several times with either Artemis by his side or Dahlia (in the recent novels). But with these two its like his battle tactics mesh perfectly with theirs.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    between his dex of 19 and +3 mythril chain he should have what a -2 AC? In BG 1 a mage stands 0% chance of hitting him with a vampiric touch. Also his scimitars are plus 3 and in 2nd ed he is 17th level so he stands 100% chace of hitting any mage 4 times by the time the mage attacks once. 8 times if he has a double movement rate right? Short of crazy cheating I don't see most parties beating him.
    @Tanthalas Yes but they don't quite fit the same role as a mage or cleric which makes it easier in some ways. Not to mention I've read those books too (huge Salvatore fan) but didn't wanna drop any spoilers. In the case of Artemis and Dahlia they all share a similar finesse and let your opponent make a mistake fighting style. Also he's gone back to using his bow a lot more in the more recent novels, where for awhile there he never touched one.
  • ElandirElandir Member Posts: 35

between his dex of 19 .

Let me correct you.
    His Dex is 20 :)

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-2nd.htm
    @Dragonspear

I'm waiting for the last one to arrive in the mail. Don't spoil it for me!
    @Tanthalas I didn't want to which is as I said why I'm tried to avoid saying anything specific. I thankfully got it for my nook the day it came out.
  • Bobby_SingerBobby_Singer Member Posts: 65
    LadyRhian said:

@Dragonspear ::Sigh.:: There's a reason why so few people are LG...

I always liked playing a paladin in this game. To me, it creates a great juxtaposition -- Child of Bhaal yet ultimate force for Law and Good.

Dungeons and Dragons has always given stats to everything. Pinnacle Games who make Deadlands (which has existed for almost twenty years now) had an interesting rule. They had unkillable characters (at least until the time was right story wise). They refused to release stats for those characters because "if you stat it, they will kill it". I think that's the difference between power gamers and story gamers. Power gamers want to see what they can kill. Story gamers only do what will make a good story. I would never provide stats for Drizzt, Elminster, the seven sisters, Szass Tam or any other big ones for that reason.

Of course, you could argue, in a fantasy game, even if a big character gets killed, there usually are options to bring them back. Lord knows how many Manshoon clones were running amok.