Skip to content

Firewine is hard *chills*

YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
My no-reload run almost came to an end there after a certain mage proceeded to Minor Globe -> Web -> Lighting Bolt -> Stinking Cloud -> Fireball his way to almost obliterate my party in those narrow corridors.

I ran.
Safana and Jaheira dead.
After several minutes of Benny Hill Show *cue chase music*, and his second Minor Globe wearing out, I managed to stick a last ditch Blindness at him. He promptly disappeared. (Invisibility, maybe?)

I grabbed the gear of my fallen and ran my ass out of the dungeon. (He even used a Fireball scroll on me, I think; damn! I could have used that scroll!)

Licking my wounds now and preparing for round two...

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    The hard-earned victories are the sweetest... Good luck with that mean old mage!
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Why go there in the first place? The pain/loot ratio completely sucks :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, Firewine regularly kicks my butt, from playthrough to playthrough.
    I agree with @Blackraven‌ - the closest calls have just the sweetest taste.
    And if you're looking for some sugar, Firewine's the neighbor to ask.
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Successfully kicked those two mages (one of which is a regular ogre mage; Lendran is the harder one apparently). It took 3 more forays into the dungeon and some retreats. (Why, you ask? I can't abandon the kindly halflings to their fate now, can I?)

some [game] weeks later my party is at the Ulcaster...
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @Skaffen has a very good point. Firewine is frustrating and high-risk, and the XP and gear you get there is completely not worth the effort. More Kobold Commandos than you can shake your pointy metal stick at.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I personally like Firewine, but just because I like challenges, it's probably the most difficult low-level dungeon.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited March 2014
    I am getting ready for my first attempt at Ulcaster-Gullykin-Firewine maps. My general disruption strategy for dealing with unexpected Mages is to always have Darts slotted for Jaheira and Imoen. Plus my Charname F/M is wielding Ashideena [speed factor]

Feeling pretty good about my party's chances to do well. A little bit disappointed that Bandit Camp was only a challenge because I got careless with Kivan collecting scalps, etc after Ardenor Crush battle.

I was all pumped up for dealing with a formidable assault from BTElites and Bandits upon emerging from Tazok's tent. An enraged posse gathered around Taugoz perhaps. Only 3-4 Bandits attacked with plenty of time in between to put them down.

This from a game that has twice waylaid party with a circle of 10 Bandits. 3-5 Hobgoblins and Hobgoblins Elites finished off with a delayed attack from 2 Wolves while I am trying to collect scalps. Skeletons Rock!!!!
    Post edited by Eadwyn_G8keeper on
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    I made it through the ruins after three attempts and retreats. My next mishaps continue in...
    Ulcaster:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31236/better-part-of-valor-series-now-doing-improved-ulcaster?new=1