Skip to content

"better part of valor" thread [now doing improved Ulcaster]

YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
((This is an SCS, no-reload, trilogy run, technically, speaking. I have yet to complete one of these after a decade of trying.))

I figure, I should try and record my glorious escapes and close shaves with death, rather than my pitiful deluded triumphs (why, yes, I do have Xan in my party why do you ask).

After almost dying in the Firewine dungeon...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31224/firewine-is-hard-chills

...my ragtag team cleared Gullykin of the treat of the Ogre mage after three descents and retreats. Then cleaned the country side a bit and headed to Ulcaster, which will be my next post.

** In the mean time here is my house rules:

No-cheese & no obstructive metagaming. I personally roll characters without re-arranging stats (i.e. no
min-max), but usually reroll for a bit. Minor aesthetic changes via EEkeper is okay (I like my fighter/mage multi to be human, for example), but no hacks like imported immunities or items.) I don't buy back ("recharge") wands or other such shenanigans. No maximum hitpoints: too bad if my big burly fighter rolled a 1 at level up.

I use SCS with all AI improvements & some modest challenges, but without major rule changes (e.g. mages don't autocast a dozen spells on round 1; in turn, I don't prebuff by metagaming encounters, except for scouting).

Currently running, a LG Human multiclass Fighter/Diviner (EEkeepered for flavor; no more special than a gnome F/I). In this run Imoen is kept a sorcerer from day 1. The rest of my team is Branwen, Jaheira, Xan, Safana.

next up: my first Ulcaster rout...

P.S. Feel free to share your own daring escapes.
Post edited by Ygramul on

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Ulcaster outside has almost no challenge for a nice mid-level party (Kobolds, skeletons, whatever) -- with the exception of the mighty ICHARYD!

Apparently, my "improved Ulcaster" install of SCS improves the Icharyd, a formidable undead knight. I almost bring him close to death; rotating my front line of my F/M, Jaheira, and Branwen, all of whom are hurting now -- and he summons the help of Myrkul when close to death, which grants him: DUHM + call lightning + full heal -- Holy Undead Terror, that wasn't planned for!

As luck would have it, I was wearing the electricity boots (always should for dungeon delving in no-reload). But next round Branwen was not so lucky. Zap! ... and she falls dead before muttering "not again". (Wait, what? Icharyd's call lighting activates *every* round, apparently. Jaheira is jealous!)
    I quickly grab Branwen's gear; waste a summon to distract the Big I and head to the edge of the map.

... exist stage right chased by Icharyd.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Love the title :D
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    I have to say that one of the best parts of playing no reload is realising that if you stay, you might very well die and run for the edge to either do a last stand before leaving the map or just run like a little girl. The fact that there are consequences, makes it much more fun.

I have been close to dying several times in my no reload run (last one against some trolls in the druid grove) and I still get some adrenaline running when In that position. Anyway, I havent learnt to be careful yet, so will likely die in non boss fights