Skip to content

My take on Rasaad's epilogue (non-canon) (Spoilers)

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
I wasn't particularly satisfied with Rasaad's fate in two out of three of his endings, as I felt that a man like him deserved at least a little more. I'm not one to believe that every character should have a happy ending, but his non-romanced path felt... unfinished, for lack of a better term. So I went and wrote my own version:

Rasaad Epilogue - Non-romanced
Though Alorgoth was not seen again for many years after the events in the Deepstone Mines, the Bringer of Doom was not killed there. By the time Alorgoth resurfaced, Rasaad's name had been almost forgotten by the world. After the events of the Bhaalspawn saga, Rasaad, hoping to reconcile with the brothers and sisters of his order, returned to Calimshan, hoping that the tales of his heroism would redeem him. However, he was unable to convince them to the truth of his 'betrayal' of their teachings, and gentle words soon became fierce combat. Rasaad battled against hundreds of his fellow Sun Soul monks, sustaining grievous injuries and forced to flee the temple. His wounds should have spelled his end that day, but whether by the grace of the Moonmaiden or his own force of will, Rasaad held onto what strands of life he had. Assumed dead by the order, Rasaad wandered the deserts as a nameless traveller for many years.

Inevitably, the return of Alorgoth would happen, and as though by premonition, Rasaad would be ready. On a moonless night, the Sharran order of the Dark Moon launched a devastating attack upon the main temple of the Sun Soul, overwhelming the monks with ease. The grandmistress of the order, Haraan Sixscar, faced Alorgoth personally before being stabbed in the back by the monk Gahan, an agent of the Dark Moon order who had decided Rasaad's guilt. When all seemed lost that night, Rasaad returned, fending off both the Dark Moon monks and his own brothers before meeting his nemesis face to face. The two monks, the strongest of their respective orders, struck simultaneously without a word. By the words of those who watched, the battle between light and dark would be one worthy of song for many years.

Despite his skill, Rasaad knew he could not slay Alorgoth, as the two were equal in combat and the Sharran was devious. In an act of desperation, Alorgoth attempted a last maneuver, summoning a portal for his escape into the Plane of Shadow once more. Rasaad, in one final effort to defeat his enemy, charged towards Alorgoth sending both monks plummeting once more into the Shadow Plane... forever this time.

The Sun Soul order had achieved victory that day, but neither Rasaad nor Alorgoth were ever seen again. However, though Rasaad was gone, his legacy would remain. Redeemed in the eyes of his brothers and sisters, a statue of Rasaad was raised in the rebuilt temple, the first monument of its kind ever to be made. It is said that in the brightest of days, the statue would glow as though with the light of the sun itself, and the monks of the temple would pray for Rasaad's final victory over Alorgoth and his return.

A bit too much like Keldorn's, I know, but that's why I left Rasaad's fate ambiguous for the possible hope that he will return victorious one day. Whether he does or not? Who can say :P

Now, his romanced ending was a different story. I actually like the direction it took, and I'm a sucker for tragic romances for sure, but having CHARNAME die was just awkward to read. A bit more grim than the above, but I like this one a little better.

Though Alorgoth was not seen for many years after the events int he Deepstone mines, the Bringer of Doom was not killed there. But by the time Alorgoth resurfaced, Rasaad's focus had moved from avenging his dead family members to caring for his new ones. Unable to convince the Sun Soul order of his dedication to them, he and CHARNAME went and made a home together in the Cloud Peak mountains. Their six children enjoyed an idyllic childhood, brought up according to the tenets of the Sun Soul philosophy. But the children were of the Bashir bloodline, and it was only a matter of time before the darkness that plagued their father found them as well.

One pleasant spring evening, Rasaad and CHARNAME were set upon by Sharran assassins. CHARNAME, at the time several months pregnant with her seventh child, was an easy target for them. Rasaad, knowing that his lover was in mortal danger, stood between his family and countless Dark Moon monks and assassins, a single man against insurmountable odds. Whether blessed by Selune or fueled by righteous fury that day, Rasaad fought with more strength than anyone had ever seen, narrowly evading blows that surely would have been fatal and defeating each and every foe who attempted to slay him.

Tirelessly, Rasaad fought off the attackers for what seemed to be countless hours, until finally, as the last of the Sharrans had either died or fled in terror, the injuries the monk sustained, coupled with exhaustion which would have destroyed a lesser man, dropped him to the ground. With the last of his strength, Rasaad lifted himself to face CHARNAME and whispered his last words into his wife's ear before passing away under a sky with a full moon and endless stars.

Soon afterwards, CHARNAME gave birth to her seventh child, a strong boy who resembled his father more than any of his siblings. In memory of her husband's past, CHARNAME named him Gamaz, Rasaad's brother who had lost his way and died by his hand many years ago. Gamaz would grow up to be the strongest of any of Rasaad's children, and as Rasaad did for his brother, swore an oath of revenge towards Alorgoth for the cruel fate that befell his father. Posessing the skills of both his Sun Soul father and his Bhaalspawn mother, Gamaz led his brothers and sisters on a crusade of vengeance and justice against the Dark Moon sect, an epic struggle which the Alorgoth would suffer his greatest defeats from.

I think this one is rather close to Viconia's romanced ending, but I hope it feels unique enough. I certainly would have preferred it end like this compared to vanilla.

Please do give your opinions. This was just my attempt at some writing for fun, seeing as I don't get much inspiration from other sources these days, so I write for video games instead. XD
Post edited by TheArtisan on
MacHurtoFlashburnJenzafarCrevsDaakMhamzaHalfOrcBeastmaster

Comments

• JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    I like the redemption and the bit about the statue in the first one; and I like the possibilities the second one opens up. Although I wasn't really bothered by the death of Charname (hey, you choose mortality over godhood, you're going to die someday) it's interesting to think about what part she'd play in avenging Rasaad in your version.

One nitpick: in that last paragraph, you might want to change the word "conceived" to "bore" or "gave birth to." Think about it a second. ;)
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Whoops.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited August 2014
    Those are the two endings I saw.
    There is a third one?
    What's it like?
    Can anybody spoil me? :)

More on topic... I really liked the tragedy in the romance one (a downer ending, but good nonetheless), and the offspring of Rasaad and Charname.

The non-romance one was... uncalled for, though. He is unfairly "executed" by his friends, and then his nemesis resurfaces after he's already gone. The guy keeps getting defeats over defeats. So much injustice!
    Yeah, I like yours better. But you should have kept the bit about the Sun Soul monks finding out he had not killed any of those he had defeated, after the battle was over.

PS: I think "the Alorgoth" at the end of the second spoiler is a mistake.