Skip to content

About BGIIEE 3 in 1 ?

BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
Hey,

I've just bought this game yesterday from a co-worker and installed it on my laptop -- after that I've noticed there are 3 games; Shadows of Amn, Throne of Baal, The Black Pits 2. Which of this three is the prequel of the game or which story should I start playing? I'm confused when I played the Shadow of Amn after character creation I ended up in a cell with some mage guy torturing my character -- how the heck did I ended up there anyway? So this makes me confused.

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Hey,

I'm confused when I played the Shadow of Amn after character creation I ended up in a cell with some mage guy torturing my character -- how the heck did I ended up there anyway?

That is the beginning of the game, Throne of Bhaal is the expansion. Black Pits is an add on which Beamdog included that has nothing to do with the actual game. Had you played Baldur's Gate 1 first, that whole scene would have made more sense. Though it's never really explained how you end up in the dungeon.

BGEFanaticjackjack
  • BGEFanaticBGEFanatic Member Posts: 67
    Oh ok, is the BGEE & BGEE II have any differences though?
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    BGEE and BG2EE are completely different games, the latter being the sequel to the former. Personally, I have never found any time for BG. It's way too simplistic and gets very boring very quickly. BG2, however, is the best game of all time.

There is indeed a split between the games: after you finish the first, you won't get a satisfactory answer for ending up in the cage in the beginning of the second. Unless you regard a vaguely suggestive sort of thing as satisfactory.
    jackjack
    edited March 2014

BGEE and BG2EE are completely different games, the latter being the sequel to the former. Personally, I have never found any time for BG. It's way too simplistic and gets very boring very quickly. BG2, however, is the best game of all time.

There is indeed a split between the games: after you finish the first, you won't get a satisfactory answer for ending up in the cage in the beginning of the second. Unless you regard a vaguely suggestive sort of thing as satisfactory.

I might as well get the first BGEE then later. BTW, where can I get the patches for the BG2? Sorry for not being able to use the search function properly -- it takes long ass time for me to load things up right now (slow net).

Edit:
    Just read no standalone patches huh
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

I might as well get the first BGEE then later. BTW, where can I get the patches for the BG2? Sorry for not being able to use the search function properly -- it takes long ass time for me to load things up right now (slow net).

Edit:
    Just read no standalone patches huh
    when there are patches for the standalone version they will come as the beamdog version gets them, meaning that it will be available before steam and app store because no waiting for valve/apple approval. when there is a patch, there will be an update button in the launcher as you are starting the game.

there are some bugs that you may wish dealt with though. for example if you have Jaheira and want to use her harper's call revival spell there is a file somewhere on the forums that fixes it, otherwise it will deal damage to her before healing the target and therefore cancel the revival.
    BGEFanatic
    Is there more update bugs that I should watch out for?

Anyways, the storyline is kinda random -- being ended up in a dungeon, then some cloak thieves came to either to save the main character or just simply stealing stuff, then a random guy appeared asking question about some button and if you answered wrong he will summon minions to attack but if you answered IDK he will leave you alone; get it? random. lol
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That encounter's not really part of the main storyline, lol.
    jackjack
    edited March 2014

i know what its just a hypothetical question what he asked but what i mean every encounter along the way is just so random. lol
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'm so jealous.
    styggaSwordsNotWordselminster
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

i know what its just a hypothetical question what he asked but what i mean every encounter along the way is just so random. lol
    Those aren't random encounters. Random encounters will make more sense :P
    BGEFanaticjackjack
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    CrevsDaak said:

It seemed random to me to have a genie show up and ask you a question that doesn't really effect anything
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I'm curious; how much was your coworker selling BGII:EE for?

Also, did they hand over their account for the game? You'll need it to get future patches.
    Jalily said:

I'm curious; how much was your coworker selling BGII:EE for?

Also, did they hand over their account for the game? You'll need it to get future patches.

Very cheap and yes his game account as well.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402

CrevsDaak said:

It seemed random to me to have a genie show up and ask you a question that doesn't really effect anything
    That encounter only makes sense if you know the original plot. In the original plot, Imoen gives up the last bit of her will to save you -- by giving into the taint of Bhaal she 'pushes the button', you do not and she dies. Thus, her giving into the taint and becoming the ravager is a good act and your killing of her becomes a necessary evil.

The dreams also make much more sense if you understand that the original plot

BGEFanatic

CrevsDaak said:

That encounter only makes sense if you know the original plot. In the original plot, Imoen gives up the last bit of her will to save you -- by giving into the taint of Bhaal she 'pushes the button', you do not and she dies. Thus, her giving into the taint and becoming the ravager is a good act and your killing of her becomes a necessary evil.

The dreams also make much more sense if you understand that the original plot

wait does that mean the encounter in the dungeon is just a dream?

wait does that mean the encounter in the dungeon is just a dream?

No it isn't, but there are various dream sequences you'll experience in the game. What killerrabbit was trying to mention was that the storyline was changed shortly before the game was released, and the Genii is something that was left over from the original plot. Imoen was not supposed to survive the initial dungeon, but she was left in because so many players wanted her to survive. She was a very popular character in BG1.

BGEFanaticjackjack
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I have no freakin' idea why she was so popular...if she wasn't in the game, I wouldn't miss her. In fact, I don't play with her at all when given the chance, and I would rather let her rot in Spellhold if I had a choice...
    jackjackDelvarianKamigoroshi
    tbh the story is indeed kind random, i've played the throne of bhaal and plenty of random encounters too. hmmm, really should i be getting the first BGE. lol
    edited April 2014
    WebShaman said:

I have no freakin' idea why she was so popular...if she wasn't in the game, I wouldn't miss her. In fact, I don't play with her at all when given the chance, and I would rather let her rot in Spellhold if I had a choice...

she's probably popular because of her being friends with the main character -- it would've been sad if we let her die. lol
    atcDave
    Don't you find it kind of strange? Apparently you spent lots of time with her around in Candlekeep, yet one doesn't actually have any connection to her in the game. You would think there would have been more dialogs and banters from her to you...
    BGEFanatic
    WebShaman said:

Don't you find it kind of strange? Apparently you spent lots of time with her around in Candlekeep, yet one doesn't actually have any connection to her in the game. You would think there would have been more dialogs and banters from her to you...

hhmm, well probably because she sees you as a friend and nothing more but i like the idea of her and the protagonist to have bring it to the next level.
    WebShaman said:

Apparently that's because of the last minute storyline change, they didn't have time to flesh out her banters before the final release. I read that they even pieced together some of her dialogue from the audition tapes of the voice actor because they had so little to work with, and no time to record more.

jackjack
    They should of just gone and killed her off, and made it possible to save Yoshi.

That would have been awesome sauce!

But noooooooo, I am stuck with some whining milksop Bhaalspawn wannabe!
    jackjackGawdzillaBGEFanatic
    WebShaman said:

They should of just gone and killed her off, and made it possible to save Yoshi.

That would have been awesome sauce!

But noooooooo, I am stuck with some whining milksop Bhaalspawn wannabe!

No need to fret about it. I think your getting a crush on her too........;)