Skip to content

I <3 BG, Should Love Planescape Torment...

dndadventuredndadventure Member Posts: 3
I work in health care, and recently I worked 70-hour weeks in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but work and sleep. Miserable, overworked and alone, I needed a win. So I played Baldur's Gate for the first time.

Holy shit. What a wonderful game. What a wonderful series. I'm grateful these games were out there waiting for me, and I'm glad I put them off for so long.

I haven't played Dungeons & Dragons since I was in college, and it was such a nostalgic pleasure to romp through the games: thac0, low-level charm spells in BG1, beholders kicking my ass in BG2, the cathartic murdering of Drizzt (that melodramatic bastard has been asking for it for years!). Thanks to Minsc's solidarity and Boo's optimism, I now have fond memories of what otherwise would have been a miserable five months.

I'm through with the games but not done adventuring just yet. I purchased Torment, thinking it would be a good fit. I've always loved the Planescape campaign setting, and I definitely lean more towards story-oriented than combat-oriented games (I liked The Longest Journey a lot, and I'm more of a reader than a gamer). I really like the look and feel of these isometric RPGs, and to me, they're more immersive than a modern game like Skyrim (a kickass game for sure, but I'll take BG2 over it any day).

But I just can't get into this game. This is the second time I've tried to play it, and I'm now giving up for the second time. I'm underground with some cranium rats, and it's just... boring.

Does the pace pick up? Do I need to just suffer through it for a little longer? I really *want* to get into this game, but sheesh...

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Welcome to the forums.

I too find the cranium rat section of Torment boring. It's a bit of a barrier, but once you get through it you're into the rest of the city and get some interesting quests. Torment is one of those games that has fantastic parts but the combat feels a bit forced.

If you're looking for similar things it may be worth checking out Neverwinter Nights, or rather some of the expansion packs and modules. NWN 1&2 are based around 3rd Edition rules and the Hordes of the Underdark expansion for NWN1 and Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN2 are often viewed as great modules. There is also a huge amount of user-generated content for them.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Planescape Torment was probably the game that got me the fastest. The first day I spent around 4 hours and don't even studied in spite of having a test next day.
    I know how boring that part with the Were-rats is, the combat is just BAD in PS:T, but, I tell you, you haven't walked over the bridge yet (it's a metaphor).
    For this game (Planescape Torment) you'll need much time or leave other activities, I spent around an hour each day (maybe more on weekends) playing it until I finished it.
    What shocks me is that you haven't mentioned the bugs PS:T has, dude, BG2 is marvelously bug-free when compared to it, there are so many things that were left unpolished, but you don't know how they would be like you do in BG.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @CrevsDaak‌, why did you agree to @Shandyr‌'s post? You love ps:t. was it just an accident?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @meagloth I don't see why I can't agree with Shandyr, I felt the same, just I had an amazing amount of time and left to care about school for a while.
    And also, clicking the thread's name is difficult, so it's a 100% agree with him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

I work in health care, and recently I worked 70-hour weeks in the middle of nowhere

I feel your pain, brother
  • dndadventuredndadventure Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses!

I'm going to stick with it. It seems like the Internet is in more or less uniform agreement that this is a great game, so I'm gonna cheat and use a walkthrough to get me 'across the bridge.' Then I can play from the point where it picks up.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    I think if it were not translated then I couldn't get into it. What torment makes me interested and pleased was two things, story and exotic experience.
    The sigil is curious and amazing place.
    Well anyway as for me recent play was not good as it was several years ago, maybe I am old.
    Glad the game made you feel better and it is not just me who lose interest about the game liked.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    Honestly? I'm going to be that guy and recommend you use a walkthrough. This game is huge and I want you to be able to experience as much as you can. It doesn't help alot of stuff isn't obvious at all. That being said, try and find a spoiler free one if you can. Oh, and be sure to recruit Fall From Grace and marvel at the fact the least sexualized woman in the entire game is a succubus.