Skip to content

Cross platform multiplayer doesn't work (versions incompatible?) Any possible solution?

SuperMattSuperMatt Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Multiplayer
So I was trying to blay BGII EE with my friend. I use a PC, he uses a mac. We know the game is cross platform, so we were pretty excited.

Okay, for any one else who has been stumbling around the internet for an hour trying to figure this out, here is what is going on. You CANNOT PLAY CROSS PLATFORM (as of 4/7/2014) because the mac version of the program is version 2.1.0 and the PC version is 2.1.36 (Patches are mandatory; there is no option 'not' to update. They are also not available as separate files, so don't expect to get around this limitation easily - or at all.)

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but after some research it seems that if you bought the game and were planning on playing the game cross platform, you are out of luck until the Android version comes out since they are planning on updating all of the versions to be compatible again at that time.

I have to say I am extremely disappointed that this issue has not been resolved yet, I can't believe they would advertise the game as cross platform when it is very often impossible to play cross platform and no solution or workaround has been provided. It would be very nice for users if the program notified us on whether it was 'actually' cross platform compatible at the moment; My cursory research online reveals more than a few people are spending a lot of time trying to get this working without realizing that the versions cannot be made compatible with each other.

I understand some of this is beyond developer control, but the lack of information online on this topic is frankly startling. I really don't want to sound too negative but, really, what the heck?

In any case, I would like to solve the issue myself, does any one know of a way to roll back the version of the PC version of Baldurs Gate II EE so that it can be played as 2.1.0 with a mac?