Skip to content

BG2EE: Bug on level up to Level 10?

Hi,

I am about to level up with my main character imported from BG1EE: Ranger-Stalker (to lvl 10) , Neera (to lvl 11) and with Anomen (to lvl 10).

I think there is a bug. Even though I am turning the game difficulty to minimum (so that I don't have to roll for the additional hit points) the result is the same:

For me, Ranger - Stalker:
- Backstab Multiplier increased by -1 (I had x4 before the level up, and remained with x4 after the level-up)
- Additional hit point gained 3 (even though it should be 15)
- Lore increased by 1

For Neera:
- Additional hit point gained 1 (even though it should be 4)
- Lore increased by 3

For Anomen:
- Additional hit point gained 2 (even though it should be 10)
- Lore increased by 1

So, even though the Backstab Multiplier is reported -1, it stays the same. That is ok then, I guess. But all the hit points distribution is wrong. Any idea? Is this a bug, or am I missing something.

Thanks.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    As a Ranger, from level 10 on up, you only receive 3HP/level, so that's not a bug.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    After level ten, you gain a set amount of hit points based on your class. Warriors get 3, I think thieves and clerics get 2, and mages get 1. I had the same reaction when I found this out.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Bards, Thieves, and Mages have that after level 10, everyone else has it happen after level 9.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited April 2014
    What meagloth said. Plus the backstab multiplier for a stalker never gets above 4x. That said at level 9 it should be 3x.
  • M0tanM0tan Member Posts: 61
    Thanks all for the helpful comments.

I really did not know about the fixed number of hit points :) Is this somewhere in the rule book? Was it like this before? I did play BG2 back in 2000, but I honestly don't remember the level-up hit points :)

I currently have backstab 4X, so that seems fine then.

Back to gaming then :)
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    Yes the fixed numbers were there before as well. It's one of the reasons to wait with dual wielding until level 9.

[Edited] : Dual classing, yes.
    Post edited by SionIV on
    SionIV said:

Yes the fixed numbers were there before as well. It's one of the reasons to wait with dual wielding until level 9.

Thanks.

You mean dual classing not dual wielding, right? :)

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    M0tan said:

SionIV said:

Thanks.

Honestly, I'd wait with Dual Classing until level 13, which is when Warriors get their extra pip and Thieves get their final Backstab multiplier, exceptions do exist, though, such as the Swashbuckler, where I'd wait until level 15 for their extra AC, to hit and damage bonuses.
    Also, if you run a small party you'll get these levels back in no time - case in point, in my last run with a Fighter/Thief I hit the 8m exp cap by the end of SoA with a 3 person party (Anomen, Charname and Imoen) - all that talk that you'll never hit the level cap is utter ordure from degen... philistines who have never played the game to its fullest. (and I didn't even complete all the quests!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Is that one similar to thieves losing all their proficiencies when they get their thief class back after dualing?
    Was that one fixed in EE? Only happened to me in trilogy when dualling Immy to mage. Thankfully an earlier save plus Shadow Keeper fixed that annoyance.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2014
    Loub said:

M0tan said:

SionIV said:

Thanks.

Honestly, I'd wait with Dual Classing until level 13, which is when Warriors get their extra pip and Thieves get their final Backstab multiplier, exceptions do exist, though, such as the Swashbuckler, where I'd wait until level 15 for their extra AC, to hit and damage bonuses.
    Also, if you run a small party you'll get these levels back in no time - case in point, in my last run with a Fighter/Thief I hit the 8m exp cap by the end of SoA with a 3 person party (Anomen, Charname and Imoen) - all that talk that you'll never hit the level cap is utter ordure from degen... philistines who have never played the game to its fullest. (and I didn't even complete all the quests!)
    Unless i'm playing solo or with a party of 2-3 i'm not going to wait until level 13. While you do get more out of waiting until level 13, you'll end up having to wait a long time before you get it back.

Let's take a look at a fighter dual classing to a mage.

Level 9 fighter (250 000)
    Level 10 mage (250 000)

You'll be able to dual class soon as you only need 250 000 experience to reach level 9 fighter. And it'll be even easier to reach level 10 as a mage because it's only 250 000 and you can scribe scrolls.

Level 13 fighter (1 250 000)
    Level 14 mage (1 500 000)

That's 1 250 000 experience before you'll be dual classing. That's 7 500 000 experience in a party of 6. You'll also have to get 1 500 000 experience to get to level 14 mage and get back your fighting abilities. that's another 9 000 0000 experience. So In a party of 6 you'll have to get 16 500 000 experience which would mean you're at the end of SoA before you get that. That's most of the game where you won't be powerful.

Dual classing at level 13 is for a person that wants to solo, play with a smaller party or waiting until ToB before you get powerful.

A swashbuckler should dual class at 10 instead of 15

Level 10 Swashbuckler (160 000)
    Level 11 Mage (375 000)

You'll be able to dual class pretty much the moment you get out of Irenicus Dungeon. 375 000 experience isn't that bad and you'll get back your rogue skills very quickly.

Level 15 Swashbuckler (1 100 000)
    Level 16 Mage (2 250 000)

That's 940 000 more experience before you can actually dual class and you'll need 1 875 000 more experience as a mage to get back your rogue skills. And this is for what exactly? 1 AC/Thac0 and Damage?

Unless you're playing solo, with a smaller party or totally focused on power gaming. Do yourself a favor and drop the ½ APR as a fighter and dual class at level 9 instead. You'll be able to use your character for most of the game instead of only the last 10-20%. And you should never dual class as a swashbuckler at 15 instead of 10. You'll get absolutely nothing other than 1 AC/Thac0/Damage which is not worth the additional 2 000 000 experience you have to get.

Also at level 10 as a swashbuckler with 18 dexterity you'll be able to have.

100 open lock
    100 disarm trap
    100 pick pocket
    70+ points wherever you want them

You can put the last points on trap and you'll have everything you need. You won't need Hide in Shadow or Move Silent as you can't backstab. You'll not be needing any thieving points from level 10-15 so you're purely doing it for 1 AC/Thac0/Damage.
    edited April 2014
    SionIV said:

Loub said:

M0tan said:

SionIV said:

Thanks.

Unless i'm playing solo or with a party of 2-3 i'm not going to wait until level 13. While you do get more out of waiting until level 13, you'll end up having to wait a long time before you get it back.

Let's take a look at a fighter dual classing to a mage.

Level 9 fighter (250 000)
    Level 10 mage (250 000)

You'll be able to dual class soon as you only need 250 000 experience to reach level 9 fighter. And it'll be even easier to reach level 10 as a mage because it's only 250 000 and you can scribe scrolls.

Level 13 fighter (1 250 000)
    Level 14 mage (1 500 000)

That's 1 250 000 experience before you'll be dual classing. That's 7 500 000 experience in a party of 6. You'll also have to get 1 500 000 experience to get to level 14 mage and get back your fighting abilities. that's another 9 000 0000 experience. So In a party of 6 you'll have to get 16 500 000 experience which would mean you're at the end of SoA before you get that. That's most of the game where you won't be powerful.

Dual classing at level 13 is for a person that wants to solo, play with a smaller party or waiting until ToB before you get powerful.

A swashbuckler should dual class at 10 instead of 15

Level 10 Swashbuckler (160 000)
    Level 11 Mage (375 000)

You'll be able to dual class pretty much the moment you get out of Irenicus Dungeon. 375 000 experience isn't that bad and you'll get back your rogue skills very quickly.

Level 15 Swashbuckler (1 100 000)
    Level 16 Mage (2 250 000)

That's 940 000 more experience before you can actually dual class and you'll need 1 875 000 more experience as a mage to get back your rogue skills. And this is for what exactly? 1 AC/Thac0 and Damage?

Unless you're playing solo, with a smaller party or totally focused on power gaming. Do yourself a favor and drop the ½ APR as a fighter and dual class at level 9 instead. You'll be able to use your character for most of the game instead of only the last 10-20%. And you should never dual class as a swashbuckler at 15 instead of 10. You'll get absolutely nothing other than 1 AC/Thac0/Damage which is not worth the additional 2 000 000 experience you have to get.

Also at level 10 as a swashbuckler with 18 dexterity you'll be able to have.

100 open lock
    100 disarm trap
    100 pick pocket
    70+ points wherever you want them

You can put the last points on trap and you'll have everything you need. You won't need Hide in Shadow or Move Silent as you can't backstab. You'll not be needing any thieving points from level 10-15 so you're purely doing it for 1 AC/Thac0/Damage.
    @SionIV‌
    Well, to each their own, but I have to disagree with your opinion.

In the first case, yes, the maximum number of people I ever have in a party is 4, because any more than that and the party becomes extremely difficult to control, as well as having a high potential for redundancy - in fact, on my current playthrough with a Blade my party consists of only CHARNAME, Nalia>Imoen and Jaheira - which pretty much covers any outstanding necessities. In playing with such a party, you are likely to hit 3m XP by the middle of Act 3 if you do all of the good-aligned quests, which gives you plenty of time to harvest the fruits of your suffering, as well as the awareness that you are a more patient, and therefore more virtuous, person than those who dual class at earlier levels (tee hee).

Dual-classing at an earlier level as a fighter is going to make your THAC0 suffer unless you temporarily relinquish your casting through Tenser's Transformation, and even then you would also be making yourself inferior than a Multiclass, which can use their spells during combat with little to no restrictions, all while having the ability to gain more and pick from a wider range of HLAs as well as having several bonuses depending on their combination (FMTs are going to rape through the opposition by combining Dual-Wielding, Improved Haste, UAI for the Scarlet Ninja-To and Assassination.)

On Swashbuckling and Rogue Skills - It is true that Find Traps maxes out at 99 and Open Locks at 100, but that doesn't apply to pickpocketing, where scores as high as and possibly even beyond 200 (for the Deck of Many Things) become necessary to gain all the spoils a true winner would wish for, Set Traps, Detect Illusion and Stealth are all useless for a Mage or even a Fighter combination once the Book of Infinite Spells is acquired - to achieve a truly masterful level of thievery, one, with 19 Dexterity from the tome, would require 65 points in Open Locks, 84 in Find Traps, and 225 in Pickpocket which wraps up to... exactly 15 levels of Thief. Furthermore, the Swashbuckler, with Rogue Rebalancing, gains THAC0 equal to that of a Fighter, which becomes vital to hit enemies in ToB - and remember what I said earlier - for a Mage to achieve a high THAC0 they are usually required to temporary relinquish their own magical ability, which is not good since they could deliver counterspelling and party micromanaging, as well as saving your own ass with stoneskin, with their own ability - that -4 AC is also very good for achieving a manageable level of defense through the Epic Levels - that is, the difference between being hit 95% of the time and 70%, which also boosts your magical efficiency through making your Stoneskins and Illusions last longer.

So before you try to corrupt common knowledge which has been around for more than a decade with your own philistinic opinion, perhaps you should try to actually play the game to its fullest ("Minmaxing") before attacking my own statements.

The art, if not science, of Min/Maxing has been around since the inception of the first edition of Dungeons and Dragons - and that applies to its CRPGs and derivations - its own object of study is the utility of a Character in its medium, that is, the game. In hardcore Dungeon-Draconic circles, those who understand the intrinsic exploits of the system succeed, while the philistines who refuse to acknowledge such practices as a norm perish - amusingly much like real life, tee hee - food for thought. By denying yourself the gifts of knowledge you are regressing to the irrational and enchanted world we have long since abandoned, as taught by Max Weber, which puts you down to the level of prey in the system, which means you will inevitably perish without experiencing the mediums to their fullest. Such is the wheel that moves the world - refuse to acknowledge it if you wish - that way you'll make room to those more deserving of higher levels of awareness. The irrationals have never progressed humanity - only the most rational of their time contribute to the enhancement of the human species, and you have, by your own statements, made transparent that you have no desire to rationalization - a shame, really, but perhaps that's what it needs to be.
    Post edited by Loub on
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Holy wall of text! Is this really the place?
    I think I can settle this:
    Higher level dual=more powerful build as well as a larger pain in your ass. If you want to be incredibly powerful in the
    Last 5 minuets of the game then dual at level 30. But it's a pain to get there.
    edited April 2014
    meagloth said:

Holy wall of text! Is this really the place?
    I think I can settle this:
    Higher level dual=more powerful build as well as a larger pain in your ass. If you want to be incredibly powerful in the
    Last 5 minuets of the game then dual at level 30. But it's a pain to get there.

Not really, Multiclass characters can be just as, if not more, powerful than Dual Class because of the simple fact that they gain HLAs from all of their classes, which means Fighter/Thieves and FMTs can gain UAI and IWA for Carsomyr Rape, something that a Dual Class character cannot do quite as well due to a multiTude of factors.

Some Multiclass combinations are also exponentially more powerful than their Dual Class counterparts - the Cleric/Mage Master Race, for instance is capable of doing fearsome triggers and combine both of the Caster HLAs for maximum dominance over the dirty single-caster-class peasants.

And like I mentioned before, the FMTs is capable of delivering utter destruction to foes through the fearsome combination of UAI, Dual-Wielding with Scarlet Ninja-To, Improved Haste and Assassination for 10 fucking attacks at a 5 fucking multiplier for a maximum fucking up of the opposition.

I also don't think the game has any "Minuets" on it, nor do I think the developers were smart enough to know what a "minuet" is, hells, I even have my doubts that you know what a minuet is, but that is a tale for another time.
    But can triple class characters get HLA without mods?

Once they reach 3m total exp, or 1m exp with each class.
    ok but i remember a mod for the original game having to give them HLAs or was it just giving them access to HLAs for each class... I dunno
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317

They can get either fighter, cleric, or thief HLA's (depending on which triple class you go with) but not any mage HLA's. There is a component in the tweak pack that allows a triple class character to get the mage hla's that boost your number of level 6-8 spells.
    Wow, I've been gone 2 weeks and this thread has turned into a Dual/Multi class debate.

I can tell you all that I am playing as an elf so I stick to Ranger until I finish the game.

Probably I will get a lot of disapprovements from you guys, but I never play multi or dual class, not to mention a human :)

My usual classes are:

Elf - Ranger,
    Dwarf - Fighter,
    Halfling - Thieve,
    Elf - Thieve,
    Halfling - Assassin,
    Elf - Blade,
    etc....
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Loub said:

Not really, Multiclass characters can be just as, if not more, powerful than Dual Class because of the simple fact that they gain HLAs from all of their classes, which means Fighter/Thieves and FMTs can gain UAI and IWA for Carsomyr Rape, something that a Dual Class character cannot do quite as well due to a multiTude of factors.

Some Multiclass combinations are also exponentially more powerful than their Dual Class counterparts - the Cleric/Mage Master Race, for instance is capable of doing fearsome triggers and combine both of the Caster HLAs for maximum dominance over the dirty single-caster-class peasants.

And like I mentioned before, the FMTs is capable of delivering utter destruction to foes through the fearsome combination of UAI, Dual-Wielding with Scarlet Ninja-To, Improved Haste and Assassination for 10 fucking attacks at a 5 fucking multiplier for a maximum fucking up of the opposition.

@Loub
    Nah, I'm a big fan of multis and rarely dual class ('cos I don't like playing humans much and find the process tiring) but once you get your levels back, duals are generally better.

In a class combo involving a fighter part and a mage part, the fighter HLAs don't matter much. You don't need GWW when you have Improved Haste and you don't need Hardiness when you PfMW, Stoneskin, etc. This leaves Critical Strike which is good, but I'd rather have Kai from a Kensai which works on everything tbh.

When you factor in Kensai or Berserker Rage bonuses and grandmastery bonus, duals at 13 to mage or thief aren't behind much in terms of thac0, do more damage and can more easily generate more attacks, so they aren't behind much on the fighter side and will be ahead on the mage/thief side.

A C/M multi is good when it gets going. But consider by the end of SoA you probably have a single level 7 slot, that's a single Spell Sequencer. You don't get a level 9 spell (i.e. a CC) until 6m exp. I don't rate it until ToB and a single class arcane caster wipes the floor with it frankly.

FMTs are a little different in that you have three classes as opposed to two but I'd say it comes down to this:
    - You have mage levels, therefore you are more powerful than duals (or multis) not involving a mage.
    - You have some slow ass leveling, therefore you are less powerful than duals (or multis) involving a mage.
    By the way you can't backstab with SNT. You could give a FMT Belm and Kundane but that's a waste of resources IMO and you would be better off sharing them out.