Skip to content

When to do Watchers Keep

When do you feel is a good time to tackle this one? From what I understand it's accessible during both SoA and ToB. So, I'm not sure if/when I should be hitting this up.

I haven't stepped foot into Watchers Keep pretty much since ToB came out. I vaguely remember anything about it since it's been a little over a decade, even then I didn't finish it so I don't know much about it.

My main concerns are:

If I do Watchers Keep in SoA, does it take away from ToB?
If there are really good items, how badly would that nerf SoA?

All opinions are welcome, item spoilers are welcome, but try to stay away from any plot or dialogue spoilers

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014
    You get a few things that give you unlimited ammo but otherwise I'd say most of the items on the first few floors don't make SoA trivial. I'd say you can probably do the first floor safely at around level 10. You'll want to save often though for it. You can wait to do the other floors until later but to be honest a few of the weapons you get here you can't upgrade until ToB, so I wouldn't say its at all essential for you to do Watcher's Keep before ToB.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I normally take one level at a time. The first level is very easy and can be done pretty much at level 9-11. The second level isn't that difficult with the exception of the chromatic demon, but if you get some elemental spells he will fall easily as well. Third level and onward start to become difficult.

I normally do something like this.

Level 1-2 = Chapter 2-3
    Level 3-6 = Chapter 6 or ToB.

Sometimes if i feel frisky i'll do level 3 and half of level 4 in chapter 2-3, but it's rare.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    does anybody wait until TOB to go in Watchers Keep?

I never have for sure, but then again I almost never do the TOB portion.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I very rarely wait for ToB. It doesn't add that much to ToB while it's quite entertaining to do in SoA.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I do it very late in SoA, as late as possible.
  • EffinyEffiny Member Posts: 378

does anybody wait until TOB to go in Watchers Keep?

I never have for sure, but then again I almost never do the TOB portion.

I did it only once. Back then, it was too difficult for me to go there so late. I was only a child. :-)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    never. The game ends after SoA. What is this ToB everyone talks about?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    ajwz said:

never. The game ends after SoA. What is this ToB everyone talks about?

yep that's how I feel as well and always do it in SOA whenever I'm feeling powerful and feel like getting a bit more powerful.

• BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I'm currently going through Watcher's Keep with a low-level party, as one of my first Chapter 2 quests. I also have SCS installed to spice things up. So far, I've made it to level 4, and though it's been challenging (especially the Maze level, good grief!) I find it very much doable and superbly entertaining.

If anyone's interested, I'm keeping a journal of my progress, which you can access here. I'll strive to complete the run over the next couple of days: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31423/watcher-s-keep-w-scs-low-level-party-challenge