Skip to content

Mazzy/Valygar level 1 npc mod.

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
I'm pondering about changing Mazzy and Valygar with level 1 NPC. A few RP questions.

Mazzy - Cavalier / Undead Hunter.

I'm going to turn Mazzy into a paladin, but i'm not sure yet if it would fit her better to be an undead hunter or cavalier. I would imagine that her personality would fit a cavalier better, but where you find her might move her towards an undead hunter.

17 (+3)

Her attributes work very well with a paladin already, she has the minimum wisdom requirement of 13 and i'll put her charisma up by 3 to have it land on 17.

Valygar - Wizard Slayer

I'm making Valygar into a Wizard slayer, just not sure if i'll keep it pure or dual class him to a rogue. I'll also add 10% innate magic resistance on top of his Wizard Slayer bonus to try and salvage the kit somewhat.

Dual class him at level 9 to a rogue, or keep him as a wizard slayer? Lorewise what would fit him better? I can imagine that he started out as a Wizard slayer, but the need to go into hiding to survive and keep away from the people after him might give him a reason to pick up some rogue skills. His 18 dexterity would also fit very well into the dual class.

If i dual class him at level 9 he'll have 19% MR (9 + 10 innate which i'll add) and that shouldn't be too over the top even if he gets hold of use any item later on.

So to my questions, from a RP point of view.

1.) Mazzy - Undead hunter or Cavalier?
2.) Valygar - Dual class to rogue at level 9 or don't?

Comments

• jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    Have you considered modding their items?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    jacobtan said:

Have you considered modding their items?

I was going to leave them as they are, Valygars armor is fine and he'll end up being able to use it as a rogue as well. Mazzy won't be able to equip her items as i have modified her stats, but i don't normally use them on her to start with, except the short sword for it's free action when i'm in the temple.
    edited April 2014
    This is odd, it looks like i can't dual class Valygar and i don't know why.

[Edited] : Solved the problem, was BG2 tweak.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    SionIV said:

Mazzy won't be able to equip her items as i have modified her stats, but i don't normally use them on her to start with, except the short sword for it's free action when i'm in the temple.

I think that they only have a minimum requirement for stats, not maximum, so having a +3 to CHA won't make this change. This might have changed in the EE, but in vanilla, Monks could use Keldorn's Armor and Half-Orcs could use Yoshimo's Katana+1.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Is level 1 NPCs BG(2)EE compatible? It looks like I can't install it.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I very much vote for cavalier. I don't think you can read much into the dungeon you find her in. When you yourself are recruited to investigate the deaths, the theories are like ogres, the Umar witch blah blah. She wouldn't have known in advance she would be fighting undead. Plus if she were an undead hunter it would be humiliating that she got caught by them :D
    Flashburn said:

I have had problems installing it myself, but after i installed BG2 tweaks it worked fine afterwards.
    SionIV said:

Flashburn said:

I have had problems installing it myself, but after i installed BG2 tweaks it worked fine afterwards.
    Strange, I can't install any part of Level 1 NPCs even though I've got BG2Tweaks installed. It works fine on old BG2 but not BG2EE. It says its skipping everything because it doesn't meet requirements.

I fixed this same situation with the Monk HLAs in the Oversight mod by removing the lines in its .tp2 file where it called for ToB to be installed. The problem with this mod, is that its .tp2 file is so massive that I don't even know where to begin.
    Flashburn said:

SionIV said:

Flashburn said:

Strange, I can't install any part of Level 1 NPCs even though I've got BG2Tweaks installed. It works fine on old BG2 but not BG2EE. It says its skipping everything because it doesn't meet requirements.

I fixed this same situation with the Monk HLAs in the Oversight mod by removing the lines in its .tp2 file where it called for ToB to be installed. The problem with this mod, is that its .tp2 file is so massive that I don't even know where to begin.
    I get this sometimes, and also when i'm running SCS. But when i do a clean install, put in BG2 tweaks it lets me install Level 1 NPC afterwards. No idea why this is happening.
    Hrm. I wanted to make Minsc a Barbarian, Nalia a Transmuter, and Valygar a Rebalanced Wizard Slayer. The "backstab with any weapon" component is what I really wanted though.

But as for your own conundrum, either of those kits are a good fit for Mazzy but I'd go with Undead Hunter, personally, just for flavor.