Skip to content

Role playing Baldur's gate with 4 people while drinking...(SPOILERS)

4 Australians playing BG:EE for the first time ever. Laughing ourselves stupid and making terrible jokes.

I cut our adventures into this short film, complete with subtitles for some parts and i figured that if anyone can get a laugh out of this, its you guys.

Nevermind the childish racism at the start, if you stick with it there is tonnes of great moments.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IInCEYdh6xM

Any of you guys play BG like this? Think we should do a sequel?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Sorry for double posting, but you have to make a new post for a tag. @JLee, I'd also love to hear what you think about this.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2014
    I reckon I'd be pretty angry at the world too if I didn't know how to laugh at our often times screwed up world.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Sigh. @Quartz, I'll wait to respond to your troll post until I hear from my two Asian friends. If they say, "Thanks, but this is truly harmless, and we take no offense or hurt from it," then I'll gladly apologize and take off my bishop's mitre. Meanwhile, you and I need to permanently continue our established protocol of ignoring each other on this forum, please, lest one of us get into trouble with the moderators and site rules. And if I wasn't clear, your insult is not appreciated. Notice that I am trying to respond thoughtfully without calling you any names.
    @BelgarathMTH Sorry about that, I quickly edited it to be a little more constructive as you can see. :P My apologies.
    @BelgarathMTH Also, I didn't realize we had an established protocol of ignoring each other. I had totally forgotten this. Still don't remember, to be honest. I don't hold grudges very well lol
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Personally, I didn't wait around to get to the so called 'funny' parts. The racism was enough for me to quit. You can make jokes about horrible things, yes, but know your crowd. Telling rape jokes to someone who was raped generally doesn't go well. Telling racist jokes to the whole internet, many who have suffered from racism and are still dealing with the same stuff every single day, isn't going to win you many admirers.

(Or at the very least, perhaps we can say, if you're going to make jokes about racism/sexism/homophobic/rape, at least make them funny. This wasn't funny. It was like being stuck with a bunch of thirteen year old boys who know nothing about life, which is one of my personal definitions of hell.

No offense to any thirteen year old boys on this forums, unless you're going to follow me around in a crowd telling me about which pokemon is your favorite and how all the others are gay. Then you can burn.)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    This reminds me of a recording of me & a friend of mine, who's a complete n00b and wants to play with a druid just to spoil me, I don't know why we decided to record, and he kept on using CRTL+8 and killing the green robed Monks in Candlekeep, when we started to record I was freaking out and completely insane, I kept on screaming to him things like "YOU ARE A FRIGGIN DRUID, Y U NO HEAL ME!!!!!???!?!??!?!" and "DON'T YOU SEE THIER BLUE CIRCLES???? HUH?? HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A NEUTRAL NPC OR YOU ONLY PLAY PACMAN??!?!?!?" until we travel to the Lion's Coastway and the game crashes.
    I think at the start I accuse him of 'being a lame bastard and a poor' because of not buying the game and then I told him he was an idiot when he used Doom over me (I was playing a M/T Quasit and he was playing an 'evil' druid who kept on trying to use a two-handed sword I bought him to troll him).
    If anyone is interested my character was named As'Ram Tar'Dym and his character was called Polizes, which according to him is the Greek for 'many Z' and the (his words not mine, I am not racist) 'nigger version of the word police'. He joined the session with his real name as nickname while I was Crevs the Flying Fuck.
    Twani said:

No offense to any thirteen year old boys on this forums, unless you're going to follow me around in a crowd telling me about which pokemon is your favorite

Call me childish or an idiot, but with the same friend I play Pokemon battles online, because it is funny and it was what we did when we were children (but we used GBAs and not computers with Wi-Fi and HDMI ports). Best thing is that he called me a n00b lots of times and I won the most of the times \o/ (he does not know english and the game is in english hahahaha).
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    wow, what a disappointment. Sorry Cyan, stuck with it as long as i could, but found none of your "tonnes of great moments", just the usual drivel of groups of young men you hear on any australian street. I guess i'm just old and have no sense of humour but nothing about your video struck me as funny or worth sticking with past the irrevocably annoying start. I'm all for hearing and encouraging fellow aussies to play BG but, uh, sadly not in this case. Sorry.
  • StygianSonneStygianSonne Member Posts: 5
    Ha ha, great video i really enjoyed it! As a fellow Australian i can particularly relate to your sense of humor that you've shown here. Just to point out though, this is a multicultural forum with a mix of very different opinions regarding racism. To you and I 'taking the piss out' is all well and good, but many people would be upset or rather shocked at this type of behavior be it jokingly or not.

Like you said you weren't deliberately making aggressive racist comments, you just said it in jest.. and as long as we can all see that the humor was intended to bash on those stereotypes and wasn't being said in a hateful and direct way, i believe that we can all come to the conclusion that all was done in good fun. No need to jump the gun and call racism on this one.

Oh and just to note, I'm not sure what the forum policy on swearing is here but you might want to watch out lest this thread become locked by a moderator :)
  • AonghasDubhAonghasDubh Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2014
    I found the video to be very funny, reminds me of hanging out with my own group of friends and my own MP BG experiences. We destroy each other with jokes, but in public or with people we don't know we are incredibly friendly, polite, considerate and thoughtful. I am from Scotland and the male culture here is to make jokes, and the absolute height of comedy is self depreciating humour. If you can make fun of yourself it shows that you don't take yourself too seriously. Not being able to take a joke about yourself shows arrogance and quite conversely self doubt. If you cant take a joke you should look first to yourself and ask why you are offended?

The most hypocritical Christians always sit on the front row at church, I should know, I go every week.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    Conversely, not being able to take a racist joke about yourself has nothing to do with either arrogance or self doubt.
    It's too bad that this is what this thread has become all about, but that is but one consequence of such things. It's never good to take oneself too seriously, but the trouble with racism is that it is quite literally the opposite of personal, but rather a string of sweeping generalizations, most often stereotypical and wildly inaccurate.
    edited April 2014
    So if one of your friends, who you have known for years, makes a light hearted joke about your hair colour, skin colour, accent, height, age, intelligence, career choice, health or spirituality you should be offended and reject their friendship out of spite? Take yourself seriously much? How is the view of your own colon?

I have had jokes made about me by my friends in every single category listed, am I offended? Of course not, I just give it all right back. If one of my friends seriously had a problem that would hurt them (eg struggling with their sexuality) none of us would make a joke about it. It's not about offending people its about making light of this all too serious world that we live in.
    edited April 2014
    As far as most of that stuff goes, I would simply shrug it off.
    But let's not conflate skin color with everything else you've listed.
    To be blunt, anyone who thinks it's okay to say that to me is no friend of mine.
    And as anyone here can tell you, I don't take myself very seriously at all :D
    I have a swarthy Mediterranean complexion, my best friend is pale as snow and burns whenever it is not completely overcast. You better believe the jokes go flying back and forth! When did laughter start making people so angry and upset?
    edited April 2014
    I can appreciate that you have that going with your buddies. I don't, and that doesn't translate to me taking myself too seriously. My first job on stage I got up in front of people in a poorly fitting clown outit and professed my love for a stranger in song. I don't wish to further derail the thread, so I'll leave it at that.
    Post edited by jackjack on
    Fair enough @jackjack‌ I think that maybe a story for another time! haha
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640

You can just fuck right off.

Im sorry that i offended you, and im going to HOPE that your high and mighty attitude is a knee jerk reaction to being offended at what ive done.

It was never intended to be mean spirited, and im sorry you felt it was. I cant justify what ive done, but at least i wasnt overtly offensive like you are being right now.

I never said anything like "fuck asians, i hate asians, hanging around them is my definition of hell and i hope they all burn". I was attempting to embody an old, outdated and frankly, ridiculous stereotype. Nothing more. You however are showing true prejudice.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you started swearing at me for pointing out your racism and not report it (though, honestly, I should). I'll ignore your claims that it's more offensive to point out racism then it is to be racist, as someone who was directly offended and insulted by your 'jokes'.

But it is never prejudice to point out racism. That's like claiming that if you don't tolerate bigotry (which is what you were showing, be it joking or not) your not truly tolerant.

I kept the conversation civil. I did not directly insult you or dismiss you, and I'm willing to accept that you're not really racist, you just make racist jokes with your friends (and those stereotypes may be 'ridiculous', but I'd hope you are aware they're still alive and prominent in this world, with many people still believing them). You, on the other hand, attacked me for calling you on your actions.

And I think that says far more about you then it does about me.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Haha, fun video :) Laughed a lot :D

The concept of racism is interesting, and usually it is nationalist/right-wing sympethizers who often begin discussing the term - a crowd I dont want to fall into - just a disclaimer.
    Anyway, often we begin thinking about racism as defined by whoever is felt prejudiced against, and often it is experienced by people who have historic grievances. For instance, "gooks" from the Vietnam war. This is hard for me, as a blonde-haired scandinavian to fully understand, because I have no historic grievance of, for instance, Aztek colonists enslaving vikings - neither is Norway's upper class dominated by people from Inidian (Aztek) descent.

Anyway, I love when English.speaking people (or others) try to imitate/parody Scandinavian/norwegian/swedish (cook) language or customs, and I think no scanidinavians would take offense, maunly from that reason. But I do not think any eastern (and in this you tube video's case, Japanese?) people would take offense, but rather take it as appreciation of japanese culture. That is all good natured is one point, but far more importantly, I think the *context* that is most who read this forum, understand that this is not an accurate description of Japanese culture, but more a celebration of some very specific and inflated aspects of it. It might be naive, but it is a hope at least :)

Anyway, I think it might be wrong to ask, for instance, for @Heindrich's approval for the video, it might be like asking a Spaniard if a joke made about Polish is out of order? But I would much appreciate his input :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @BelgarathMTH‌ Hey man I actually didn't evens see your response until just now (lol). Guess I was typing away so fast I missed it! Good response, regardless.

You said something in your comment that I find very interesting. I feel like it is a common misconception that many have here in the States.

As for racism, and many other regional political issues in America, our nineteenth century Civil War issues, combined with our early twentieth century "Jim Crow" and the ensuing Civil Rights Eras, are still very much a part of our cultural and social consciousness. Race relations and divisions, and immigration policy, remain huge issues here, to this day.

I think that the highlighted issue is one of the few issues in which we Americans actually underestimate ourselves. I have actually done a lot of volunteer work for the International Institute of Connecticut (http://iiconn.org/), which is a non-profit that works toward making the transition easier for those who have recently arrived in the States and advocating on behalf of immigrants. My father has a clinic that performs immigration physicals, and I have been very involved with the practice as well, for pretty much my whole life. My parents both emigrated from Greece to come here. You can say that immigration is an issue that I have been concerned about since the day I was born.

It is funny how often I hear fellow Americans say that the US is unwelcoming of immigrants, particularly non-whites. There is some element that holds radical beliefs about ethnic or cultural "purism", but you would be surprised to learn just how open the US's immigration policy is, particularly when compared to Europe. Most experts I know say that other than Canada, the US is the easiest place to immigrate to and assimilate in.

While there is some less savory opposition to immigration in the States (I don't believe that being anti-Immigration and especially anti-Illegal Immigration is necessarily racist, btw) it does not compare to what you see elsewhere. We do not have widespread anti-immigrant riots here as we see in France, or to my great shame, Greece. We also don't have the severe racial quotas you see in places like Japan, or the draconian round up policies of Italy and Australia. Also public sentiment in the States is decidedly more pro-immigration than most other Western Democracies (see http://www.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx vs http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/01/07/uk-britain-immigration-survey-idUKBREA0600F20140107)

I think it is sad that there is opposition to having a more welcoming society in a nation that has been built by generation upon generation of fresh blood and new culture, even if some of the opposition is principled and some of the concerns valid. However, I think we also need to look at how we compare to other societies and realize that the great Melting Pot is actually alive and well, and should be a point of national pride rather than a sore spot that invites negativity.
  • iuventasiuventas Member Posts: 95
    @Aristillius‌, they're talking about old, often harmful stereotypes about countries/people, not taking a piss of each other with a friend. I'm a Pole living in Poland and sometimes have impossibly strong accent. My best friend is Chinese American, so our Skype talks can be... heavy. It's funny when she mocks my accent and calls me Lady Car Thief (and I answer in similar ways), but I wouldn't be happy about hearing the same things from someone I don't know.
    Or, you know, hearing this from someone who says so in a video, then decides to broadcast it on a worldwide forum.

Wouldn't you feel at least slightly uncomfortable watching a playthrough where someone called their character Surströmming Breivik and made nationalistic and downright eugenic remarks at everyone ("oh, Tamoko, er du fra Kara-Tur? Ikke så godt til dig!" *wroom lightning bolt*)? And then defended it through saying "hey, it's not like I hate all the Scandinavians, it's just how they are usually portrayed, no offense~"?

That's extreme but hey, I searched specifically for offensive Scandinavian stereotypes.
    I'm sorry for that, of course it's for example purposes only, not in any way something I would appreciate someone doing or do that myself.
    I'm not a big fan of stereotypes in general, irrespective of skin color.
    But everyone's entitled to their own sense of humor :D
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @iuventas‌ interesting post. Im not sure your analogy is entirely justified though, I would definately take offense of a solo-genocider being likened to norwegians, as would anyone, though that is much more different than imitating dialects. But I believe you are right that racism isnt only derived from historic grievances, I was a bit imprecise there I guess.
  • iuventasiuventas Member Posts: 95
    @Aristillius‌, you didn't even notice I managed to fit a little bit of each Scandinavian country into that wonderful post! :P
    The fact I had to dig up a genocidal maniac (hey, people actually just love joking about Germans and Hitler, which is quite offensive as well) to offend you actually makes me think of another point to make - you Aryan bunch didn't have the problem of enemy propaganda showing you as lesser beings - be it "chopstick ching chong rice loving Asian" or "dirty Slav pig". There was no "white people only" or "nur für Deutsche" for you (all the time plural you, English is weird as hell and I feel the need to be more precise)... which means now it's much more difficult to find a stereotype that would actually provoke a response as negative as shown here.
    And I have to add that it's less severe towards Slavic people, since we can blend in more easily, unless the "parrrt of Rrrussian mafia" accent kicks in, let's say I added bits about the past of my part of Europe only as kind of an explanation why I understand how seemingly little things can be offensive.

Besides, @Delicious_Cyan‌, racism is usually specified as prejudice against people of another race, so I wouldn't be so surprised that people won't call parodying Germans racism if you're white...
This discussion has been closed.