Skip to content

Container non highlighted in last SOA Hexxat quest

PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
I have done this quest at least 6-7 times and I always missed a container.
The one with some boots inside.
It's not Highlightning when I use the TAB (or the similar button in iPad) so I couldn't see it.

Let's do this in the right way :)

Current behaviour:
In the Tomb of the Umproven, right before the trapped floor, there's a container with some boots inside.
If I press TAB it doesn't highlight, wich makes it very hard-to-spot if you are playing with an iPad.

Expected behaviour:
The container should Highlight if you press TAB.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Ooooh, I also missed it, I'll use the Console to see those boots now.
    Thanks for spotting this bug! I'll make a save to reproduce this.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I have to wonder if this is a bug or intended behavior. I recall a post a long time ago (though I can't find it, so my memory could be off) where they said that there might be some things intentionally not highlighted so that some things wouldn't be discovered automatically that way. Though I would expect it to be a hidden crevice, etc. rather than a chest.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    From inspecting the map in NearInfinity, I can see that the chest is initially disabled (i.e. you can neither highlight it nor access its content). The container will be enabled after you have destroyed all eight of the wizard statues. I haven't played this quest yet, so I can't say if it works this way or if there is indeed a bug. @CrevsDaak Can you verify (or invalidate) it?
    Weird, I haven't found any boots nor a disabled chest. @argent77‌ have you checked for OH7100 or for other area?
    @CrevsDaak Isn't map OH7200 the "Tomb of the Unproven"? You can find a hidden chest with some enchanted boots in there.
    edited April 2014
    @argent77‌ yes, I was wrong.
    There is pair of Boots of Elvenkind, but I don't see how to make the chest appear.
    If there is a bug, it is the container never appearing, because it is called HIDCHEST so I assume that it is made to be a hidden chest.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    CrevsDaak said:

If there is a bug, it is the container never appearing, because it is called HIDCHEST so I assume that it is made to be a hidden chest.

Wich is unfair if you use an iPad :(
    In theory the area script of the map (OH7200.BCS, last script block) should activate the container after the eight wizard statues have been killed. @Pibaro Did you check again after killing those statue creatures?
    Well, there are TWO bugs here, the first one, SetGlobal("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",2) never happens so it reproduces the same BCS block forever.
    if you can't get Global("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",1), use Stone to Flesh over one of the wizards and they should all turn hostile and set Global("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",1) to get the chest to get opened/disappear graphically (because there is a door (?????) over it).
    and the second one, the chest losses it's animation.

IF
    Global("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",1)
    NumDead("ohhwiz",8)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    CreateVisualEffect("spnwchrm",[1585.1540])
    CreateVisualEffect("spstrenh",[1585.1540])
    Wait(2)
    OpenDoor("hidchest")
    ContainerEnable("Hidcont",TRUE)
    Activate("Hidcont")
    AmbientActivate("Hidcont",TRUE)
    END
    should be
    IF
    NumDead("ohhwiz",8)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Wait(2)
    OpenDoor("hidchest")
    Activate("Hidcont")
    SetGlobal("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",2)
    END
    I don't know how to make the animation of the chest not to disappear.
    edited April 2014
    argent77 said:

In theory the area script of the map (OH7200.BCS, last script block) should activate the container after the eight wizard statues have been killed. @Pibaro Did you check again after killing those statue creatures?

Yes. I killed the statues, then I luckily clicked on the chest and I saw the boots.
    After that, I tried many times to click on TAB but nothing happened.

I think I know what happened...
    The genius (or whatever it was) casted a fireball and killed the stone guards I didn't kill (they didn't turn hostile), maybe that's the difference from my other playthrough.
    I'm sure i tried to tab AFTER I looted the chest, but not in between the two events (the fireball and the accidental click on the chest)
    Pibaro said:

I'm sure i tried to tab AFTER I looted the chest, but not in between the two events (the fireball and the accidental click on the chest)

I don't know. I tried several times and it always shown when I used Tab. Haven't tried on iPad as I have the beta version only and you can't purchase Hexxat.
    edited April 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

Well, there are TWO bugs here, the first one, SetGlobal("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",2) never happens so it reproduces the same BCS block forever.
    if you can't get Global("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",1), use Stone to Flesh over one of the wizards and they should all turn hostile and set Global("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",1) to get the chest to get opened/disappear graphically (because there is a door (?????) over it).

I agree, updating the variable to 2 should fix part of the scripting mess. But I fear the rest of the script has to be reworked as well. There are just too many conditions where the chest activation might fail.

The door is a common trick to change portions of the map's tileset and mark the affected region as blocked/unblocked (for the pathfinding algorithm) on command.
    @argent77‌ the only other script where ("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",1) is mentioned is in OHHWIZ.BCS, where, is the statue isn't CD_STATE_NOVALID, then it will trigger the SetGlobal("OHH_wiztrap","OH7200",1), so it isn't causing problems I guess.
    If I remove the OpenDoor("hidchest") and change this to be like
    IF
    NumDead("ohhwiz",8)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Wait(2)
    Activate("Hidcont")
    END
    the chest does not disappear and it do gets activated.
    Also a fix to make the chest show only after this would be

IF
    Global("ohh_statues","OH7200",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("ohh_statues","OH7200",1)
    OpenDoor("hidchest") // changed from Open to Close.
    ContainerEnable("Hidcont",FALSE)
    Deactivate("Hidcont")
    AmbientActivate("Hidcont",FALSE)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[1163.1601],SE)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[1379.1521],SE)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[1813.1269],SE)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[1877.1217],SE)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[1225.1739],NW)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[1473.1661],NW)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[1967.1409],NW)
    CreateCreature("ohhwiz",[2061.1329],NW)
    CreateCreature("ohhfight",[1277.1559],SE)
    CreateCreature("ohhfight",[1471.1475],SE)
    CreateCreature("ohhfight",[1941.1163],SE)
    CreateCreature("ohhfight",[1353.1699],NW)
    CreateCreature("ohhfight",[1579.1617],NW)
    CreateCreature("ohhfight",[2145.1269],NW)
    END
    and
    IF
    NumDead("ohhwiz",8)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Wait(2)
    CloseDoor("hidchest")
    Activate("Hidcont")
    END
    I'm attaching my fixed BCS file.
    argent77 said:

The door is a common trick to change portions of the map's tileset and mark the affected region as blocked/unblocked (for the pathfinding algorithm) on command.

Thanks for that info :) also looks like the problem is with the tiles and *not* with the door being there, but I don't know how to fix that.
    I reloaded an old save and tried again.
    The chest never highlight, but I could click on it even before killing the 8 or16 guard statue.
    @Pibaro‌ coukd you zip and attach the save please? Use iFunbpx tp browse for in in Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition/Library/save.
    edited April 2014
    I won't have access to my pc until monday.
    I'll post it monday or tuesday.
    @CrevsDaak‌
    Ok, here is the save.

I hope it's the right one... I use to call TEST all the test savegame... wich isn't a smart idea :D

It's a save right before meeting the guard/statue.
    As you should see, the chest isn't highlightning, but you can click on it.
    If you kill all the statue nothing changes.
    @Pibaro I can't get to the container in the computer version but I can do so in the iPad version. The trigger for grabbing stuff from containers in iPad has a bigger limit (or however it's said) so you touch near it and your characters opens it. Maybe increasing the size of the door over it fixes this immediately.