Skip to content

Hardcore Mode

psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The masochist in me would love a "hardcore mode", in which your character/saves are destroyed if you die, and you cannot load an earlier save. This should be independent of any difficulty level (so that we can still play by core rules). While I would love to "self-limit" in this regard, it proves very difficult in practice, especially towards the end of the game.

I've never done a "hardcore" run through BG, but I think if I had a little push from the developers, I'd definitely be interested in seeing how it would effect my playthrough and some of the decisions I would make.

[EDIT] I do see that this has sort-of been requested in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2438/mode-request-limited-saving-system#latest. Didn't notice it until right after I posted this (as usual).

Comments

• xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    No! No! No matter how much I play bg I always die or members of my party die at some point. It wouldn't work at all. Introducing other factors such as hunger or thirst however I could see that happening.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    edited August 2012
    wouldn't an achievment that tracks deaths and rewards you for zero be preferable than this? you can loose hrs of gameplay for scratcing your head without pausing

ps: i use the term achievment loosely,nothing to do with wow ones
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    I always hated the idea of hardcore modes, like in Diablo 2 and 3... in many cases experienced players would die because of computer failures and/or lag issues... I always said to the hardcore Diablo player "Imagine losing your hardcore character which you put 150+ hours into because the server or your computer lagged.."

All those hours lost is an atrocity.
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81

wouldn't an achievment that tracks deaths and rewards you for zero be preferable than this? you can loose hrs of gameplay for scratcing your head without pausing

Doesn't stop someone from loading an earlier save though.

I think the mode would change the dynamic of the game, but I can understand why people wouldn't want it. There are plenty of people who absolutely hate roguelikes and plenty more who have never played the HC mode in Diablo.

I think it would be an interesting way to play the game -- suddenly, when your NPCs die, you have to actually carry them back to a priest and probably leave some of their gear on the ground. And if you died...well, that would be it.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I would love to see HC/Limited Save BG. The game design doesn't really cater well to this format very well (or, for that matter, to multiplayer) but I think it would be crazy fun to have a game where every second counted. What stopped me from wanting this mode before? GAME-BREAKING BUGS. The number of times I'd have to reload due to an NPC not spawning or a quest not starting was unreal....but that should not be a problem now that so many bugs are fixed.
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    Yes, I love this idea. I've been hoping for something like this for a long time in Baldur's Gate. They have this feature in Temple of Elemental Evil and that is a much harder game than BG.
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2012
    It's achievable by self-discipline.

If one of your chars die, don't ress. If you die, start the game over. Simple enough? I bet you won't do it though. >:)

F9 won't let you!