Skip to content

What games did you play avidly before you discovered Baldur's Gate?

HrafnHrafn Member Posts: 20
So? Tell us! :)

Comments

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    First "real" RPGs were Return To Krondor, & Fallout altho I may have played Fallout after BG, - before that it was text based games like Zork, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, & Leather Goddess of Phobos. ;-)
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    In roughly chronological order: Atari games; Infocom games (think Zork); Lucasfilm games (Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango); Myst-and-Myst-like-games of the 90s; those Nancy Drew games by Her Interactive (they're still entertaining); American McGee's Alice & sequel; and strategy/puzzle/howtheFdoyoudothisscreen-type things like DROD.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Um, I think I had an Arthur(the pbs cartoon) game and my sister's Disney princes game. I'm pretty sure it was sleeping beauty. So that's my first RPG, I guess. Um, yea, not much to tell. I remember bg was annoying cause you had to switch discs, the others only had one.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think I was quite addicted to Civ4 before BGEE came out. That and Company of Heroes.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Pong, Atari 2600 (Yar's Revenge and the arcade transcriptions like Space Invaders and Pac-Man are the ones I remember), Atari 5200, Colecovision, Dark Wizard (Sega CD), Heroes of Might and Magic I, Might and Magic 6, Baldur's Gate.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Avidly? I guess back then I was playing a lot of Civ, Moo, Ultima 7, Warlords and Lucas Scumm games. I had probably finally played-out Bard's Tale, Wing Command and Xwing. Eye of the Beholder series would probably have claimed a space, if it were not for a crash-to-desktop bug near the start of the second game that I never found a workaround for - this in the days before game patches were 'a thing'.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Erg: awesome, I never saw that Vic game :)
  • HrafnHrafn Member Posts: 20
    Jenzafar said:

In roughly chronological order: Atari games; Infocom games (think Zork); Lucasfilm games (Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango); Myst-and-Myst-like-games of the 90s; those Nancy Drew games by Her Interactive (they're still entertaining); American McGee's Alice & sequel; and strategy/puzzle/howtheFdoyoudothisscreen-type things like DROD.

Ha! Myst! Long time ago! Have you also played Riven? I'm also a big fan of adventure games (I nearly forgot to mention them) like Broken sword, Black mirror, Jack orlando, Sanitarium and Shivers. And I also have a weak sport for the old commodore 64/Atari retro games.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Diablo, Fallout and Risk were my top games in the day before BG came out.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    Hm…
    PC
    Eye of the Beholder I & II
    Lands of Lore
    Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
    Ultima 6 & 7
    Ravenloft
    Civilization 1 & 2
    Wing Commander Privateer
    Warcraft I & II
    Dungeon Hack
    B-17 Flying Fortress
    NES
    Dragon Warrior III & IV (Quest in Japan)
    Zelda
    Super Mario 2 & 3
    SNES
    Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the U.S.)
    Secret of Mana
    Chrono Trigger
    Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Gameboy
    Final Fantasy: Adventure
    Final Fantasy Legend II & III
    Sword of Hope
    Post edited by jackjack on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014
    PC: Duke Nukem, Hugo's House of Horrors, Hugo III Jungle of Doom!, Hover!, Civilization II, Diablo 1, Myst, Riven, Age of Empires I, Command & Conquer, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Kings Quest VI, Nanosaur (technically released at about the same time), Cross Country Canada, Worm, Pong, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? (1996).

Consoles (largely with friends).

N64: Goldeneye 007, Mario Party (released about the same time).

Sega Genesis: Echo, The Adventures of Mighty Max, Star Trek: The Next Generation, NHLPA Hockey 93.

SNES: Teenage Super Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
    Post edited by elminster on
  • JenzafarJenzafar Member Posts: 303
    Hrafn said:

Jenzafar said:

Ha! Myst! Long time ago! Have you also played Riven? I'm also a big fan of adventure games (I nearly forgot to mention them) like Broken sword, Black mirror, Jack orlando, Sanitarium and Shivers. And I also have a weak sport for the old commodore 64/Atari retro games.
    Oh my, yes! I've played all the Myst sequels plus that URU thing. And Shivers! That was fun. I used to like all those crazy games where you wander around Egyptian pyramids and Incan ruins and Buddhist temples and stuff and it always ended up with the lost city of Atlantis and probably aliens. There were maybe five or six games like that (and I can't remember the names of any of them, except Beyond Atlantis II).

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Diablo II, Majesty and Sim City 2000.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Diablo 1, Planescape torment and dungeon siege.
    Maybe more however those are the things what comes in mind right now.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

I seem to be the only one who enjoys JRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy. :/

Not true! :P
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Well, I played a lot of Warcraft (yes, the original), Diablo, and I would be remiss not to mention Dungeon Master and Dungeon Master 2: The Legend of Skullkeep. I'm trying to remember if Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries came out before or after Baldur's Gate. This was a long time ago, y'know.

Oh, and Tank Scorch / Scorched Earth. Oregon Trail (yes, the original). Logowriter. Super Mario Brothers. Heroes of Might and Magic 1 through 3. Ultima 7 (and some Ultima 8: Pagan, but that game was needlessly hard). There were others, but those are the highlights that I can remember off the top of my head.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    jackjack said:

I seem to be the only one who enjoys JRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy. :/

Not true! :P
    Good! I like to be proven wrong. :D
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    I had some flavour of unix computer until my early 20s, so air traffic controller, and some other ancient stuff.

My first PC game was Civ 1, which I became massively addicted to. On a 286, with a doublespaced drive, but I didn't know about doublespace, so I ran civ on dos 6 in the small sliver of disk that wasn't taken by doublespace. When Civ 2 came out, I played it obsessively too, but all of my civ 2,3,4 hours together can't match those initial civ hours.

What else .. the usual mix, Warcraft, Krondor, Wing commander privateer, Doom 1 & 2, dungeon keeper, master of orion, Diablo, Age of sail .. I'm probably forgetting some huge time-sinks I absolutely loved.
    Interesting! You all mention quite a few games that I'm not familiar with, is there anyone here that also played/plays Dungeons and Dragons?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Hrafn, I played a lot of tabletop D&D with friends in high school and through college. I was almost obsessed with it, really. That's what got me into playing computer RPG's after college when all my friends moved on. One of the main reasons I fell in love with Might and Magic and then Baldur's Gate was because it duplicated the experience of all those tabletop games, but I could play by myself any time I wanted.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited April 2014
    Honest answer is, Baldur's Gate got me into video games and is the only game other than Mario 64 to pass the test of time for me. I was about 11-12 when I first discovered it, and played no game consistently before. In fact, the only other games I've replayed have been Mario 64 and Icewind Dale, which I only got into BECAUSE of Baldur's Gate.

I also played Super Smash Bros religiously in college during breaks, but it is not a game I have gone back to by myself due to a very ordinary single player mode and because when I am now with friends we prefer to do other things. I did also like Age of Empires when I was a kid.

Even other games that I have tried (NWN, Temple of Elemental Evil) have been because of my love for this game. A lot of people loved Zelda games, but while enjoying them a little, I never had the patience to beat them since I always wanted them to be more like BG in terms of characters. I also don't have much patience for games with pausing.

So basically Mario 64 and that is pretty much it.

edit: LIES! Heroes of Might and Magic 3 I played before BG, but not regularly until years later. I still return to it once in a rainy Sunday. I would also count that on my list of beloved non-BG games from before I discovered the infinity engine games.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Hrafn said:

I used to play alot of fantasy games from blood and magic to heroes, I've been a real fan of Age of Empires as wel.

I still play age of empires on Voobly. Handle is TsC_BaTTouSai :) play mostly black forest and land nomad 4v4 games. Voobly is very similar to the zone except no 300 player limit for the game rooms
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Hrafn said:

Interesting! You all mention quite a few games that I'm not familiar with, is there anyone here that also played/plays Dungeons and Dragons?

I played D&D first with childhood friends. My mom was the DM. :D I think playing Baldur's Gate and tabletop AD&D sessions together helped me understand the rules and mechanics for each much more easily.

I've dipped into other tabletop titles like Shadowrun and Warhammer, and we've even playtested some games that a friend of ours created. I think I'd enjoy them more if I'd had a computer game using the same rulesets to play side-by-side. You know, so I could actually learn how to play. XD

Hrafn said:

I played D&D first with childhood friends. My mom was the DM. :D I think playing Baldur's Gate and tabletop AD&D sessions together helped me understand the rules and mechanics for each much more easily.

I've dipped into other tabletop titles like Shadowrun and Warhammer, and we've even playtested some games that a friend of ours created. I think I'd enjoy them more if I'd had a computer game using the same rulesets to play side-by-side. You know, so I could actually learn how to play. XD
    How cool is that! I played AD&D with my father and cousins! :) My father was the best DM I've ever encountered since then, he could play all the characters very convincingly and he created his own stories. Rest his soul.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Avidly: StarCraft, Dungeon Keeper II, and of course Planescape: Torment!

I have also spent a lot of time playing Umoria and Civilization, a few ages ago.
    Planescape Torment I never did finish, but there are some great characters in it. I really liked Morte. :)