Skip to content

Which D&D system do you prefer?

AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
Which D&D system do you prefer? ^.^

I personally prefer the third, and perhaps D&D Next for BG3.
  1. Which D&D system do you prefer?347 votes
    1. AD&D second edition
      51.59%
    2. D&D third edition
      38.04%
    3. D&D fourth edition
        3.46%
    4. D&D NEXT
        6.92%

Comments

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited August 2012
    I'd go for AD&D because in the next editions things were starting to get a little redundand(attacks of opportunity, plenty of modifiers...). Honestly, I don't know them in detail. When I was DM, I was using my own system.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2012
    I don't mind second ed either- I think playing it is rather charming in its adherence to the writers ideas of realism.
    And honestly I would pick 2nd ed over 3ed if you start including all the ridiculous and bizarre source books you could get. Wotc were pretty aware of this though. As one of them said recently on thier design philosophy for d&d next:
    "People would turn up to a session as a 'shardmind seeker' and nobody else but them would know what the hell that was."
    The diversity of potential classes and races came at the detriment of the more iconic, and better designed ones.
  • ElandirElandir Member Posts: 35
    I love Ad&d because I played in adolescence and I have wonderful memories about it.
    But the third edition is done far better.

• DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    Pathfinder. 2nd ed is too restrictive, 4th is crap, and Pathfinder improves on 3.5 which improves on 3.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Where is Pathfinder on this list?
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: Removed double post
    Post edited by Sceptenar on
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I voted for 3rd edition (though I prefer 3.5) mainly because of the the limitations of classes to certain races in 2e (and levels as well... I think... or that may have been in AD&D). While 3e allows a lot of customisation for characters that leave it open to abuse, it just means you can build a character for roleplay or rollplay.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    I'm partial to having lot of customisation choice so 3.5 for me
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    I'll add my vote for Pathfinder. 3.5 is the best DnD an Pathfinder is a direct improvement to it, making Pathfinder THE best "DnD system".
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    AD&D second edition the best for me it remind me Bladur's Gate.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    This was an easy choice for me. AD&D 2E all the way.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Semantic nitpicking; Pathfinder isn't D&D so it has no business being in a poll about D&D. It IS based on the d20 system, which was thought up by the guys behind 3rd Edition and set for free to all, but it is by no means "D&D Pathfinder".

I vote for 3.5. It has a logical system (unlike 2nd Edition with seemingly random modifiers attached to random stats) but doesn't descend into generic videogamery (which I felt 4th Ed did a lot...if only by defining enemies by category like "striker" or "artillery"). The giant jumble of sourcebooks does allow for ridiculous powergaming, but if you stick to the Core plus Complete books, the system seems to work very well the vast majority of the time, despite some class design faults.

Pathfinder fixes those faults and tries to introduce a 'simpler' system (introducing the Combat Maneuver check was v. smart) but it fell into the same trap as the system it's based on. With a vast list of archetypes and their associated abilities, backgrounds, traits and flaws you can powergame and unbalance your character even more than in 3.5 while requiring way more bookkeeping. Core vs Core though, Pathfinder is the stronger edition.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    AD&D has the best campaigns, but I still choose 3.5e as my favourite system.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I love how 4th ed still has 0%... I've actually been trying 4th for a couple of months now, and yea... it's probably my least favorite D&D incarnation, the most annoying thing is how long battles take. Granted, we're 7 players in my group + the DM, but some battles take over 3-4 hours... ughhhh... it's not all bad though, some features are really interesting, and wizards are more balanced compared to the demi-gods they become in every other rule-set. Also, it's nice as a striker to have something else to do than just auto attack.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think the 3/3.5 series gave (if you don't go crazy on the 1000 manuals for specific adjustments and special classes into account) a lot of flexibility to the player, especially when compared to a lot of the arbitrary limitations of previous versions. For instance, I didn't much like the limitations on classes, as they seemed a bit unnecessary. Feats also were great ideas, as it really let you change the flavor of your character.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    3e had a terrible, terrible multiclassing system. Fighter(4) Bard(1) RDD(10) FB(5) anyone? Or the cheesy immersion-breaking combos like bard/blackguard (or paladin), and dipping 1 or a few levels into a class for all the front-loaded abilities. Hate on 4e all you like but at least they gave the classes actual identities.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

3e had a terrible, terrible multiclassing system. Fighter(4) Bard(1) RDD(10) FB(5) anyone? Or the cheesy immersion-breaking combos like bard/blackguard (or paladin), and dipping 1 or a few levels into a class for all the front-loaded abilities. Hate on 4e all you like but at least they gave the classes actual identities.

FB?

Yes, there were a number of classes (paladin being the main offender) that had all their weight in the first few levels. Other classes (sorcerer, wizard) had no reason to stay in the class at ALL, save for familiar bonusses (and a feeew bonus feats for a wizard). Any prestige class that gave full caster progression was automaticly better than Wizard or Sorcerer due to the lack of anything special in the class itself.
    Other classes (monk) pretty much had to go all the way in the class or they'd be useless.
    Pathfinder did fix most of these issues.

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    HA! *Zero* votes for 4th Edition.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    2nd is my favorite, but I have enjoyed 3/3.5 (Pathfinder is fun as well). I dislike 4 because it seems that in order to make more balanced classes they sucked all the fun out of the game.
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    I only started on p&p games during 3rd. My fondest memories lie there. However, a campaign got impossible to DM around level 17, when magic users reached their full potential started chasing off divine avatars.

4th has its advantages, but my two groups have been in it from the start... and we're still in our first campaigns, before epic levels! So yea, fights get dragged out way too long, but at least it's playable.

I never got around to Pathfinder because 4th takes too long.

Hopefully D&D Next will strike a nice balance.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    Drugar said:

FB?

Yes, there were a number of classes (paladin being the main offender) that had all their weight in the first few levels. Other classes (sorcerer, wizard) had no reason to stay in the class at ALL, save for familiar bonusses (and a feeew bonus feats for a wizard). Any prestige class that gave full caster progression was automaticly better than Wizard or Sorcerer due to the lack of anything special in the class itself.
    Other classes (monk) pretty much had to go all the way in the class or they'd be useless.
    Pathfinder did fix most of these issues.

FB - Frenzied Berserker.

Regards to 3e, you know something is wrong with the mechanics when you have to release hundreds of 'prestige classes' in an attempt to rectify the wonky multiclassing.

4e catches a lot of flak and I think it's largely unjustified. The biggest criticism is that it was too combat oriented which I find laughable as the roleplaying elements should not require extensive rules outside of skill checks (IMO). Personally I thought the classes were very well conceived, and different enough to warrant their existence.

Multiclassing was diluted down in 4e, yes, but after 3e people had forgotten what multiclassing was supposed to be. In 2e you don't play a Fighter/Thief because your character spends half his time bashing stuff in, and the other half is spent skulking about and stealing. A Fighter/Thief is supposed to play like a different class - it's a lightly armoured fighter with skills but cannot and should not be used on the front line. In 4e they turned the more popular multiclass combos into real classes and/or paragon/epic paths.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    I dislike the 3rd edition, it may be making more sense in some areas, AoO and Dex/armor system, to name a few, and its a plus. But its too steamlined and generic. Consequently character builds are boring, spells are boring, feats are boring. Lesser X/ X/ Greater X. Item +1, Item +2, Item +3. Meh. On the other side in bg most spells are unique. Most mechanics are a complex mess. But thats what makes it fun and i like it. For steamlined, I can play MMO. Its sad that i see more and more games concerned more with mechanics than with actually making a game fun to play. The problem is, getting flawless mechanics is near impossible due to bugs, so their fail on both accounts.

See Temple of Elemental Evil as a prime example.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    I only know the systems from playing BG and NWN, but AD&D appeals to me more. The only problem I have with it is that dwarves can't be mages, but I can always just ignore this rule.
    I'd like to say that all D&D systems can be useful as long as the DM and players are flexible about some rules and are willing to make changes to them to enhance their game.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    3rd is my preferred ed but 2nd works too.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I enjoyed 2e for its thematic complexity, but it's not very accessible to new players. I enjoyed 3e and 3.5e too, for their rich customization, which is part of why I adore Pathfinder, actually. Pathfinder also improved on the business model by making all of the game rules available for free online, meaning that the "bookkeeping" part of the game was made a lot easier.

I paged through the 4e books, but it changed too many things in a way I didn't appreciate, so I never got into it.

D&D Next, however, is interesting. It's simple, modular, and provides a lot of the same customization from 3e. Its customization also feels thematically interesting, which I like. I'll be interested to see how it turns out in the final release, although I do think that Wizards will be making a mistake if they don't make at least the basic rules available online for free.

D&D Next gets my vote, although I play Pathfinder almost exclusively.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    3E, more intuitive and flexible than 2E.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    3rd edition and Pathfinder.
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    First Edition is the best system!
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    I'm a fan of 3.5e.