Skip to content

Crossplatform multiplayer does not work.

sloggedslogged Member Posts: 1
I hope this post can serve as warning for anyone else attempting cross platform mutiplayer with Baldur's Gate 1 EE, and save them some time -- I've spent far too much on this already. TL;DR: Version mismatch across the platforms means they won't play together, you're stuck with multiplayer on the same platform. At least for now, as of 2014/04/22.

The idea was that I could play my favorite game of all time with my girlfriend, me on my Android while she's on her iPad.

So she bought the iPad version ($10) and I bought the Android version ($10). They didn't see eachother on multiplayer. After about an hour of trying later, I discovered that the versions were different. That must be why. Android was on 1.3, iPad was on 1.2.2030.

So next thing I try is downloading it on my PC through Steam ($29.99). Nope again! Steam is version 1.2.

So I check on my MacBook Pro's App Store and see that they have version 1.2.2030. Hoorah! (right?) So I buy it ($19.99), and then click to apply the update. But the update doesn't apply...it's still at version 1.2. I keep trying. Reboot. Update the OS. Nothing is working. And then I find this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30675/mac-app-store-still-showing-v1-2-0....

It seems that the update doesn't actually exist? So my Macbook is stuck at 1.2, and I still can't play with my girlfriend's iPad. And, I've spent $10+$10+$29.99+19.99=almost $70 buying this game on every platform, and none of them work together.

I've requested refunds, but I 'm not getting hours and hours of time back.

To the devs of this game: screw you, seriously.

Comments

• LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    slogged said:

• squalltheonlysqualltheonly Member Posts: 40
    I don't think cross platform using Beamdog servers has ever worked, which makes sense.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    He's using IP address linking up actually

And he's quite right, it would appear that you can't cross platform at the moment. Awesome, Beamdog. I agree with the "screw you guys" sentiment.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    It is... Disappointing. I hope v 1.3, when it come out, standardizes everything so we can do this. I hear you.
  • Ragdoll83Ragdoll83 Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2014
    Erh tbh I appreciate this game is being remade and all and I wanna support it but come on... BGEE is only close to getting stable with 6 people at this point.. how long has it been out? BG2EE is still a mess in multiplayer... yeah I'm dissapointed with the so called "focus on singleplayer" (lame excuse) when multiplayer is the main reason many of us are coming back to the game. Get it together please beamdog, sales are going good you should put in the work.
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    Anyone buying this game as enhanced edition and not just getting a pirated version is wanting it for the cross platform multiplayer. Really. There is no other reason to pay for the game that has the content increase of 2 medium-sized mods, which are free. Focusing on single player is the last thing Beamdog should be doing.
    slogged said:

^Agreed. If anyone feels like making a class-action lawsuit then I'll sign. I've already asked for my money back multiple times just to be denied while being assured that cross-platform multiplayer "will be working soon." The first time was over a year ago. The hell is this company's definition of "soon?"

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Anyone buying this game as enhanced edition and not just getting a pirated version is wanting it for the cross platform multiplayer. Really. There is no other reason to pay for the game that has the content increase of 2 medium-sized mods, which are free. Focusing on single player is the last thing Beamdog should be doing.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16448/baldur-s-gate-multiplayer

There are plenty of people out there who bought the EEs who aren't interested in multiplayer. I am one of them.
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    Most of today's gaming world prefer multiplayer over singleplayer. This has been stated all over the news for years now. To center on singleplayer without fixing the multiplayer so it can run properly is company suicide these days. It's been this way since around 2004.
  • CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
    I've played a few multiplayer games of BGEE and it's pretty obvious that the BG series was developed with multiplayer as an afterthought only. Even the background story doesn't make sense for multiplayer (how did all the players get into Candlekeep without paying the fee?). Multiplayer is very clunky even when it works right. It's my strong belief that BG was intended mainly as a single player game.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Baldur's Gate is a SINGLE PLAYER game with a MULTIPLAYER option on the side. It's always been like this and that's not going to change just because it gets Enhanced.